Credit Cards

Capital One Aspire TRAVEL World Elite MC - Discontinued, but not dead yet!

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 9:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
3751 posts
727 upvotes
Markham
Dynatos wrote: It's going to be different person to person and is highly dependent on your spending patterns. You'll have to crunch the numbers.

I think the only one without an annual fee, though, is the Rogers WE @ 1.5%, but your return might actually end up higher with a 2% card that has an AF. For example, the Collabria at 2% with a $120 AF will net you more money than the Rogers if your spend on the card is higher than $24k.
Great points. It also depends on where most of your spending are. There are cards that have higher than 2% of specific spends, but do you really want to carry more cards? Also pay attention to maximums and tiers. For example the Brim WE looks great for 2% earns, but drops to 1% after 25K spend and you really need to spend more than that to make the $200 annual fee worthwhile.

Collabria 2% sounds great and it looks like even gift card redemptions are at a 1.67% return (higher than new Aspire 1.5% rate), and no max earn on 2% unlike the Brim WE.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
3751 posts
727 upvotes
Markham
cashinstinct wrote: My appointment is this Thursday.
They did not ask for proof of income but I will bring it with me to avoid any issue.
It's HSBC Murphy Uncertainty Principle. If you bring income proof, they won't ask for it. If you don't bring it, they will ask you for it.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 25, 2003
9383 posts
1516 upvotes
Vancouver
OK I made a copy of glamper's spreadsheet and added Cobalt and Momentum Infinite. I made it editable so feel free to add/correct: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Also added Hotel burglary line and car rental primary/secondary line and links to the insurance documents (column titles), at least the ones I dug into.
Jr. Member
Jul 31, 2009
117 posts
25 upvotes
Good info here about speaking to supervisor. I might try that route closer to when the annual fee posts. Mine is due in November and I have over $700 in points I'd like to use on travel for next year. Did you all call in after or before annual fee posted to inquire about the fee waiver?

As for replacements, I did a product switch from TD AP Visa to TD cashback infinite to take advantage of 10% offer. I'll keep this card as I get the AF rebate with TD bank account. I'll take advantage of sign up offers as things come up. My only issue was finding a no AF card for use at Costco (mastercard) between trying to meet spend for sign up bonus offers. I only spend 5-6k at Costco/Costco Gas a year so AF cards not worth it for long term keepers. Best I could find for Mastercard was MBNA Rewards Plat Plus: No AF, 2% on gas and 1% everywhere else. Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1896 posts
80 upvotes
Vaughan
browntrout wrote: My only issue was finding a no AF card for use at Costco (mastercard) between trying to meet spend for sign up bonus offers. I only spend 5-6k at Costco/Costco Gas a year so AF cards not worth it for long term keepers. Best I could find for Mastercard was MBNA Rewards Plat Plus: No AF, 2% on gas and 1% everywhere else. Thoughts?
Rogers WE Mastercard with no-AF and 1.5% cash back?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5042 posts
2929 upvotes
browntrout wrote: Good info here about speaking to supervisor. I might try that route closer to when the annual fee posts. Mine is due in November and I have over $700 in points I'd like to use on travel for next year. Did you all call in after or before annual fee posted to inquire about the fee waiver?
I would recommend doing it now. Cap1 seems to have a policy for the waiver right now but they can change their mind.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
3751 posts
727 upvotes
Markham
1226 wrote: OK I made a copy of glamper's spreadsheet and added Cobalt and Momentum Infinite. I made it editable so feel free to add/correct: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Also added Hotel burglary line and car rental primary/secondary line and links to the insurance documents (column titles), at least the ones I dug into.
Thanks. I added the Rogers WE because it's a card many are considering. The insurance coverage is very lack-lustered when compared to the others.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Jr. Member
Jul 31, 2009
117 posts
25 upvotes
fooit wrote: Rogers WE Mastercard with no-AF and 1.5% cash back?
80k Income requirement and 15k annual spend to keep 1.5%. I won't spend that much at Costco
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2009
972 posts
509 upvotes
browntrout wrote: 80k Income requirement and 15k annual spend to keep 1.5%. I won't spend that much at Costco
Do you need $15K annual spend to keep 1.5%? I didn't know that.

I did not spend $15K on the card last year but I believe I still got 1.5% reward ... or am I mistaken?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7581 posts
3086 upvotes
Markham
number17 wrote: Do you need $15K annual spend to keep 1.5%? I didn't know that.

I did not spend $15K on the card last year but I believe I still got 1.5% reward ... or am I mistaken?
"Starting June 2, 2020, Rogers World Elite Mastercard accounts must have an annual minimum spend (i.e. the total of Purchases made, less any Purchase returns) of at least $15,000 posted to the Account during each annual review period in order to maintain your eligibility for the Account. An annual review period commences on August 1st of a year and ends on July 31st of the following year, with the first annual review period commencing on August 1, 2020. If you have not maintained the annual minimum spend during an annual review period, we reserve the right to switch the Account to another Rogers Bank credit card product on or after November 1st in the next ensuing annual review period without any impact to the rewards earned up to the date of the switch."
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2009
972 posts
509 upvotes
smartie wrote: "Starting June 2, 2020, Rogers World Elite Mastercard accounts must have an annual minimum spend (i.e. the total of Purchases made, less any Purchase returns) of at least $15,000 posted to the Account during each annual review period in order to maintain your eligibility for the Account. An annual review period commences on August 1st of a year and ends on July 31st of the following year, with the first annual review period commencing on August 1, 2020. If you have not maintained the annual minimum spend during an annual review period, we reserve the right to switch the Account to another Rogers Bank credit card product on or after November 1st in the next ensuing annual review period without any impact to the rewards earned up to the date of the switch."
Thanks ... so this is new.

Rogers WE card is now my primary card, so $15k should not be a problem.
Newbie
Jul 23, 2014
10 posts
BC
My next fee is due end of august. Billing cycle is 25th-25th. Will i even be able to redeem my points before my fee is due with the lag?
Sr. Member
Apr 23, 2006
662 posts
168 upvotes
'Berta
Just want to say thank you to everyone's contributions to this thread about potential replacement cards and calling in to complain.

I was on the phone for a total of 30 minutes, with the first CSR being useless and essentially telling me there's nothing she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and after about 20 minutes I got through to Rachel. She said "I read the notes and I'm guessing you're calling because you're unhappy about the anniversary bonus and reward miles changes?". I said yes, then she gave me a quick blurb on why they needed to make these changes or cancel the card altogether, then without asking said she was going to provide me a with a one-time annual fee credit as a goodwill gesture. For reference, my annual fee charge is in October.

I'm going to hang on to this thing for another year and see if any of these new rumoured cards materialize since I can't see a lot of travel in our future.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
10153 posts
5296 upvotes
Markham
smartie wrote: "Starting June 2, 2020, Rogers World Elite Mastercard accounts must have an annual minimum spend (i.e. the total of Purchases made, less any Purchase returns) of at least $15,000 posted to the Account during each annual review period in order to maintain your eligibility for the Account. An annual review period commences on August 1st of a year and ends on July 31st of the following year, with the first annual review period commencing on August 1, 2020. If you have not maintained the annual minimum spend during an annual review period, we reserve the right to switch the Account to another Rogers Bank credit card product on or after November 1st in the next ensuing annual review period without any impact to the rewards earned up to the date of the switch."
What kind of stupidity is this annual minimum spend requirement? They should just tier your rewards if they want you to spend at least a certain amount.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7581 posts
3086 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote: What kind of stupidity is this annual minimum spend requirement? They should just tier your rewards if they want you to spend at least a certain amount.
Why tier is better? I never liked tier type rewards. Just curious

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

barlem