Personal Finance

"CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE" inquiry on Credit Report

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2020 10:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.

"CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE" inquiry on Credit Report

I just got an email from Credit Karma that an new inquiry was made on my credit report from "CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE". I've tried googling that to see what it comes up with and didn't find anything!

Capital One Generic card? I haven't applied for anything recently. I'm going to dispute it.

Anyone have anything similar happen?
21 replies
Jr. Member
Jun 3, 2017
161 posts
137 upvotes
You should do a lot more than dispute it. You should request an inquiry into who actually did it. If I were you, my primary concern here would be identity theft more than the credit score.
Member
Dec 12, 2016
363 posts
320 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: I just got an email from Credit Karma that an new inquiry was made on my credit report from "CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE". I've tried googling that to see what it comes up with and didn't find anything!

Capital One Generic card? I haven't applied for anything recently. I'm going to dispute it.

Anyone have anything similar happen?
Did you apply for an HBC Card?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 9, 2016
671 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah that's an application for sure. That's exactly what shows up when I apply for a capital one card.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6573 posts
2946 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Do you already have C1? If yes, call them to see if they made any inquiry else call credit report company that reported inquiry.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8052 posts
8479 upvotes
The Prairies
Jon Lai wrote: Hard or soft inquiry? Did you sign up for Credit Keeper?
They don’t inform you of soft inquiries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
AnotherDesiredUsername wrote: You should do a lot more than dispute it. You should request an inquiry into who actually did it. If I were you, my primary concern here would be identity theft more than the credit score.
Sounds like a fun project! I'll do exactly that.
Here2day2 wrote: Nope, but I had one years and years ago!
I've got a Capital One Costco Card, but I've been using it since August last year.
I'd assume hard inquiry since I don't think it shows soft inquiries.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1765 posts
565 upvotes
Costco/hbc/lord and taylor is capital one, sometimes it takes awhile to show up on your report
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
So i Just got off the phone with Capital One, they said it was just them reviewing my file for a possible credit increase and not to worry - it won't affect my credit score.

I've already disputed it with Transunion so we'll see what they say...
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1463 posts
1121 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
lennyandcarl wrote: So i Just got off the phone with Capital One, they said it was just them reviewing my file for a possible credit increase and not to worry - it won't affect my credit score.

I've already disputed it with Transunion so we'll see what they say...
But it will since it was a hard hit? L o l
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
Altera wrote: But it will since it was a hard hit? L o l
It sounded like absolute BS...
Newbie
Feb 10, 2009
84 posts
268 upvotes
Milton
my credit karma also states a hit from CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE on Jan 22. I don't have any C1 credit card. Think it's something to do with Credit Karma? I literally just signed up for it the day before the hit.
Member
Jul 3, 2002
268 posts
84 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: So i Just got off the phone with Capital One, they said it was just them reviewing my file for a possible credit increase and not to worry - it won't affect my credit score.

I've already disputed it with Transunion so we'll see what they say...
I am highly doubtful as they shouldn't do a hard pull for assessing a possible credit increase. They would do a hard pull if and when you request one yourself. Do a dispute and results will show up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
tseason wrote: my credit karma also states a hit from CAPITAL ONE BRANDED GENE on Jan 22. I don't have any C1 credit card. Think it's something to do with Credit Karma? I literally just signed up for it the day before the hit.
Is it still on yours?

It's disappeared from my Credit Karma but it's still on my RBC Credit Score Page - but it only updates monthly vs the weekly update on Credit Karma.

I'm not sure if it's from the dispute or what...
Newbie
Aug 22, 2018
1 posts
And I have one too!!! Just popped up today, I never made any inquirys and have never dealt with Capital One. Heck, I am unemployed so I wouldnt even think of trying. I cant get anywhere calling. Just one automated system giving me a number to call after about 10 min of pressing 1 and such
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2684 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
User416259 wrote: And I have one too!!! Just popped up today, I never made any inquirys and have never dealt with Capital One. Heck, I am unemployed so I wouldnt even think of trying. I cant get anywhere calling. Just one automated system giving me a number to call after about 10 min of pressing 1 and such
I requested a consumer disclosure from Transunion and disputed every one of the Branded Gene inquiries (and there were probably 200 of them) and my credit score went up next month.
Sr. Member
Jan 9, 2014
789 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
I got this today too on credit karma? and I don't have any capital one, costco or HBC cards??
Anyone figured out what this was about?
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 20, 2020
4 posts
25 upvotes
Hi just got the same today... Do you have any info on what the heck it is? Also what process did you follow to report it?
Thanks!

Top