Personal Finance

Capital One Breach: have you been a victim of fraud?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 8:39 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2019
768 posts
365 upvotes

Capital One Breach: have you been a victim of fraud?

I know several people recently who've been victim of fraud and the extent the criminals have gone to has been great. From having a construction vehicle parked near their home and breaking into their community mailboxes and Capital One cards being being suspended for all family members and more for unusual activity. My guess is the Seattle woman and her accomplices must've sold the credit information on the deep web.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2016 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
sheyenne wrote: I know several people recently who've been victim of fraud and the extent the criminals have gone to has been great. From having a construction vehicle parked near their home and breaking into their community mailboxes and Capital One cards being being suspended for all family members and more for unusual activity. My guess is the Seattle woman and her accomplices must've sold the credit information on the deep web.
How does one know if his Capital One was breached. I have a relative who has a Capital One Costco card and just found out 3 phones were opened under his name.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2019
768 posts
365 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: How does one know if his Capital One was breached. I have a relative who has a Capital One Costco card and just found out 3 phones were opened under his name.
Like anytime one is a victim of fraud and false ID, how do they know? You only know until it's too late. Capital One offered free credit monitoring for a year but it's reactive monitoring. People need to check their credit profiles monthly.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2008
546 posts
265 upvotes
Barrie
sheyenne wrote: Like anytime one is a victim of fraud and false ID, how do they know? You only know until it's too late. Capital One offered free credit monitoring for a year but it's reactive monitoring. People need to check their credit profiles monthly.
I have been a victim just recently.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2019
768 posts
365 upvotes
Halifax55 wrote: I have been a victim just recently.
Seems like most people are now affected. Latest is TransUnion suffered a breach.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1417 posts
778 upvotes
A couple years ago on BMO cb card.
I get instant purchase notification on all my accounts. Phoned in, new card sent 5 min later
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10223 posts
550 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: I know several people recently who've been victim of fraud and the extent the criminals have gone to has been great. From having a construction vehicle parked near their home and breaking into their community mailboxes and Capital One cards being being suspended for all family members and more for unusual activity. My guess is the Seattle woman and her accomplices must've sold the credit information on the deep web.
I don't understand how the first 2 are related? A construction truck parked near someone's home doesn't mean anything and it could anyone that broke into their community mailbox?
Member
Aug 1, 2014
254 posts
87 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: How does one know if his Capital One was breached. I have a relative who has a Capital One Costco card and just found out 3 phones were opened under his name.
Credit report will show that information

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)