None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3494 posts
2153 upvotes
Edmonton

Capital One "Customer Service"

I'm guessing from my recent call to customer service that Capital One is using the same call centre as Sirius XM in the U.S. I'm referring to contracted call centres overseas because of the same accent that all the reps have at the centre.

The service is atrocious. I made a purchase today and my card was declined. It never asked for a PIN code. When I called, the automated system asks me to punch in my information including date of birth but when I speak to a rep, I have to repeat all the same information. They claimed that I exceeded my PIN tries but this was false because I only tried my card twice and neither time was I asked for a PIN. So they really have no idea why my card was declined! At the end of it, I was told that I needed to unlock my PIN and was transferred to an automated system. However, when I selected "unlock my PIN", it would just transfer me to a rep, basically forcing me to wait again at the beginning of the queue with that annoying "we are experiencing high call volumes" message. I spoke to a total of three reps, the last one making me change my PIN (in the automated system) but I have no faith that my card will work until I try it again. When speaking with these people, it was my impression that they were all clueless. I don't understand how companies can operate like this.
4 replies
Jul 25, 2018
784 posts
1236 upvotes
Milton, ON
I've had nothing but good experiences with Capital One. Six years with the card and they've gone above and beyond for me, to the point I'd rather use their Platinum card over Simplii's Visa which gives an extra 1% CB at restaurants.
Apr 23, 2017
994 posts
1713 upvotes
I used to hate getting transferred to overseas call centers back when I had Bell internet. Every time I had to call in (far too often due to the connection being so unstable) I had to go through checklists for 25 minutes (unplug your phone. Now plug it back in, etc) before they would transfer me back to Canada for level two technical support. It got to be so annoying I switched my internet to Rogers (at least they let me talk to reps via online chat and said reps would phone me if needed) and their internet was not down nearly as much, so not much contact required.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5470 posts
3540 upvotes
HermanH wrote: I had to go through checklists for 25 minutes (unplug your phone. Now plug it back in, etc) before they would transfer me back to Canada for level two technical support.
you think that was bad, I had a rep refuse to help me further until I formatted my computer and reinstalled windows.

In the end I just said ok and hung up. Then called back and said I was done and asked what's the next step? They finally opened a ticket and it was resolved in a day.
Jul 31, 2017
667 posts
279 upvotes
For CapOne go through French queue and you will always get a Canadian rep.