• Jul 15th, 2015 6:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
320 posts
116 upvotes

Capital One not allowing business expenses on Aspire World

Just got a call from Cap One. They said I can no longer use my Aspire World card to pay business expenses.

Anyone know a creative way around this, or more realistically, another credit card with good points that does allow business expenses?
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
How do they identify and differentiate between business and personal expenses? And why would they care?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1391 posts
276 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: How do they identify and differentiate between business and personal expenses? And why would they care?
<br />
<br />
Yeah how did they even know?
May 20, 2002
213 posts
26 upvotes
They did the same to me. They cancelled the card. Paid out any travel rewards as cash and refused to refund any of the annual fee (one of the two had just renewed the month prior).

I don't see a way around this.

Kevin
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
One good thing about my RBC Visa is that they don't care at all about this. Points galore.....
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
CowDoc wrote: They did the same to me. They cancelled the card.
Was it also a CapOne? Did you get a hint as to how they found out, or why they cared? Why did they cancel the card right away instead of issuing a warning?

dani_toronto wrote: RBC Visa is that they don't care at all about this. Points galore.....
I also haven't had any issue with using my RBC Visa for quite a few years now.
May 20, 2002
213 posts
26 upvotes
It was after 4 years of transactions. Most were from a single vendor - typically $20k every 2 weeks. Also I had my commercial rent and referral laboratories on it. The letter said that it was against their terms of agreement and that they cancelled that day.

I switched to CIBC Aventura Business Card. I had a Cap One aspire and World card. I found that the CIBC aventura was my next best choice.

My wife started a new business. Our CIBC manager suggested the CIBC Personal Aventura card as she doesn't have any business income yet.
The www.cibcrewards.com site has been very easy to work and book with.
But not as easy as the capital one eraser function.

Kevin
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1391 posts
276 upvotes
CowDoc wrote: It was after 4 years of transactions. Most were from a single vendor - typically $20k every 2 weeks. Also I had my commercial rent and referral laboratories on it. The letter said that it was against their terms of agreement and that they cancelled that day.

I switched to CIBC Aventura Business Card. I had a Cap One aspire and World card. I found that the CIBC aventura was my next best choice.

My wife started a new business. Our CIBC manager suggested the CIBC Personal Aventura card as she doesn't have any business income yet.
The www.cibcrewards.com site has been very easy to work and book with.
But not as easy as the capital one eraser function.

Kevin
The real shocker here is how you got a 20K+ limit from Capital One
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4993 upvotes
Here 'n There
T3NSION wrote: The real shocker here is how you got a 20K+ limit from Capital One
Not a big shocker. I have $20K on my grandfathered 2% Capital One Aspire Travel and $15K on my grandfathered 1.5% Capital One Aspire Cash and got that right from the beginning.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4993 upvotes
Here 'n There
FrancisBacon wrote: Was it also a CapOne? Did you get a hint as to how they found out, or why they cared? Why did they cancel the card right away instead of issuing a warning?

I also haven't had any issue with using my RBC Visa for quite a few years now.
Probably because C1 has an average annual budget per cardholder for cash back and having one cardholder use it for business to the tune of over $1/2 Million dollars a year really threw that out of kilter. RBC is giving points which often don't get entirely redeemed not to mention they are far from the 1-2% cost, depending on when you got the card, in cash value that the C1 card is.
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
I use my RBC points for my mortgage. I get back 0.8% of my expenses (120/1 ratio) Probably over $3000 a year and so far I haven't hit any upper limit.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4993 upvotes
Here 'n There
dani_toronto wrote: I use my RBC points for my mortgage. I get back 0.8% of my expenses (120/1 ratio) Probably over $3000 a year and so far I haven't hit any upper limit.
I like the 2% back I get better that I get on any travel (even 1.5% if I decide to take cash instead)
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
320 posts
116 upvotes
I decided to go with the BMO World Elite Cash Back at 1.75% back on everything. Might be less hassle with not having to worry about redemption tiers.

On another note, should I keep the Capital One Aspire even though I may not use it much? I have heard two trains of thought on this.
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Not a big shocker. I have $20K on my grandfathered 2% Capital One Aspire Travel and $15K on my grandfathered 1.5% Capital One Aspire Cash and got that right from the beginning.
Cool story.