Capture One photo editing software - 40% off

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2021 3:52 pm
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1122 posts
2457 upvotes
Who else read "Capital One" and clicked because they were wondering how a credit card could be 40% off?
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2016
132 posts
156 upvotes
North York, ON
InvaIid wrote: Who else read "Capital One" and clicked because they were wondering how a credit card could be 40% off?
Me! I also got super excited that you might be from Hogwarts.
Sep 10, 2009
823 posts
636 upvotes
How does this compare to Lightroom? Debating if I should use my credits towards Lightroom or pay for Google One since photo storage is running out

Edit - Trying the trial now on a M1 Macbook Pro and geeze this app is slow. I guess it's not fully optimized for the M1 chip yet.
Jan 18, 2013
593 posts
217 upvotes
Calgary
I got the promo code for 50% off - didn't actually try it.

MAY-SAVE-50
Apr 24, 2012
552 posts
728 upvotes
Vancouver
Feels Good Man wrote: How does this compare to Lightroom? Debating if I should use my credits towards Lightroom or pay for Google One since photo storage is running out

Edit - Trying the trial now on a M1 Macbook Pro and geeze this app is slow. I guess it's not fully optimized for the M1 chip yet.
As a long time Lightroom user, I was thinking about it too. I didn't find anything convincing enough to switch from Lightroom: https://photographylife.com/lightroom-vs-capture-one

About Google One. There is one simple trick that Google hates people thinking about: use multiple free accounts and maintain a database of them in... google Sheets. Then create multiple profiles in Chrome for ez of switching. This gets you unlimited free storage as opposed to paid 100Gb limited storage. This is the RFD way ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1108 posts
365 upvotes
Hahahapxl wrote: Promo Code: MAY-SAVE-40
2D6B5A1D-143A-41A6-8383-71E5F7D940F8.jpeg
F19E3A7D-CF83-4ADC-BDBD-243ADD7FD8D7.jpeg
Looks like this is a monthly subscription
Sep 10, 2009
823 posts
636 upvotes
zaporozhets wrote:
As a long time Lightroom user, I was thinking about it too. I didn't find anything convincing enough to switch from Lightroom: https://photographylife.com/lightroom-vs-capture-one

About Google One. There is one simple trick that Google hates people thinking about: use multiple free accounts and maintain a database of them in... google Sheets. Then create multiple profiles in Chrome for ez of switching. This gets you unlimited free storage as opposed to paid 100Gb limited storage. This is the RFD way ;)
There's the entire getting away from the subscription model Adobe has going on so doing the one time payment for Capture One might be good in the long run. Too bad the app is only available on computers as it would have been great on tablets too. It's pretty good from what I tried so far but with some complaints.

Looking at it again, Capture One seems to be running on emulation mode so that's probably why it's running slow. Apparently the next update for C1 should add full support for the M1 chip so hoping it'll run better then.

I might just get the Lightroom subscription since my workflow is jumping from device to device to see if the edit looks good on multiple screens and it helps that Lightroom has an iPad app. The subscription is cheaper on mobile too so it's not that much though i'd like to get away from subs as much as possible (~$75 per year on mobile) plus you get 1TB of photo storage. Works on any Lightroom CC too so it'll work on desktop as well (no Lightroom Classic though). I don't take too many photos these days cause of the pandemic so I've been on and off about subscribing now or alter.

Still kinda tempted to get C1 though since idk if I'll be resubbing when the 1 year on Lightroom is over.

Now just gotta figure out about Google Photos storage lol
itemsale2003 wrote: Looks like this is a monthly subscription
You can buy it outright but it's a bit pricey.
KarinKasia wrote: I got the promo code for 50% off - didn't actually try it.

MAY-SAVE-50
It works.

Does anyone know if this have tax? It just says "Pay $125.00" in the checkout
Sep 18, 2009
184 posts
99 upvotes
Coming from an M1 user who used the free trial on my Intel Mac, I can say I wanted to like CaptureOne but it definitely was slow - can’t say for sure but I don’t think it’s an M1 issue...

I’ve been looking for a non-sub solution for ages and still haven’t found it. Luminar 3 is a decent solution that’s closest to Lightroom but it lagged like crazy between raw files for me (seems it’s a documented issue). Can’t beat free though :)

I was heavily invested into Adobe until I got sick of paying every month and moved 100% to Affinity. Downside is, Affinity Photo’s workflow is more akin to Photoshop rather than Lightroom’s quick edits and it doesn’t have cataloguing.

I hate to say it, but Lightroom still seems to be king. If anyone can confirm that CaptureOne has fixed the speed issues, I’d love to give it another go! Just a warning that they come out with a new non-sub version every year.
Sep 10, 2009
823 posts
636 upvotes
snoopsterj wrote: Coming from an M1 user who used the free trial on my Intel Mac, I can say I wanted to like CaptureOne but it definitely was slow - can’t say for sure but I don’t think it’s an M1 issue...

I’ve been looking for a non-sub solution for ages and still haven’t found it. Luminar 3 is a decent solution that’s closest to Lightroom but it lagged like crazy between raw files for me (seems it’s a documented issue). Can’t beat free though :)

I was heavily invested into Adobe until I got sick of paying every month and moved 100% to Affinity. Downside is, Affinity Photo’s workflow is more akin to Photoshop rather than Lightroom’s quick edits and it doesn’t have cataloguing.

I hate to say it, but Lightroom still seems to be king. If anyone can confirm that CaptureOne has fixed the speed issues, I’d love to give it another go! Just a warning that they come out with a new non-sub version every year.
In what ways was it slow for you? Mine was when trying to see any adjustments, it would take a second or two to see the change. Hoping it'll be fixed with the upcoming update for the M1.

Capture One seems to work well with shadows like Lightroom so it seemed like a pretty good Lightroom alternative. Lots of other apps (at least on iPad like Darkroom) is wonky with shadow adjustments where it looks like it just raises brightness or something when using the shadow slider.

I didn't know about the new upgrade every year but I assume it's be fine unless you really need the new features it'd offer. That's how other programs do it like Vegas Pro which I'm fine with sticking to an older version unless I need some new feature.
Sep 10, 2009
823 posts
636 upvotes
Bumping cause the update for M1 Macs is out and the promo code for 50% off still works.

Going to try it now and see if I should cancel my Lightroom subscription and just go for this instead
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2530 posts
1252 upvotes
I shoot an R5 with mostly wildlife photography and have tried just about every software editing program. First off, monthly subscriptions are a killer for me and that's where Adobe first lost me. I also found their cataloging to be a PITA as I simply want to throw my card in or go to a folder as one normally does. Next up was their noise reduction which is the poorest of all choices. I ended up originally working Adobe with Topaz DeNoise AI as that is questionably the best in the business...

I then moved to DXO PL4 Elite as it is not a monthly subscription, goes directly to the folder without slowing my system through cataloging, and it incorporates their latest noise reduction through 'Deep Prime' which is identical to their most recent release of DXO Pure RAW. Pure RAW and Deep Prime are the same thing. So... I own DXO PL4 Elite, find it to be much more configurable and user friendly in every way, and at least I cannot differentiate between the noise reducing and fine tuning capabilities of Topaz DeNoise vs PL4 Deep Prime. Admittedly, I still jump to DeNoise at times as it also incorporates Clear AI and low light editing.

I tried Capture One for some time and then deleted it as I couldn't match what I already have... The sole downfall here of course is that DXO isn't 50% off, however it doesnt have to be when you consider the massive price even after discount for Capture One.

Easy hand held shot from last night fooling around... Canon R5 (I bought new from Gelo on RFD actually as there was such a backlog last July) with 100-500L Canon lens. 1/80 sec. f/7.1 500mm @ 400ISO

_D1A0614_DxO-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)
  1. WD Black AN1500 2TB AIC NVME SSD 6.5GB/s r/wr
  2. Intel i9-10900K and ASRock Z490 Taichi Motherboard
Mar 16, 2015
165 posts
138 upvotes
BC
flamenko wrote: I shoot an R5 with mostly wildlife photography and have tried just about every software editing program. First off, monthly subscriptions are a killer for me and that's where Adobe first lost me. I also found their cataloging to be a PITA as I simply want to throw my card in or go to a folder as one normally does. Next up was their noise reduction which is the poorest of all choices. I ended up originally working Adobe with Topaz DeNoise AI as that is questionably the best in the business...

I then moved to DXO PL4 Elite as it is not a monthly subscription, goes directly to the folder without slowing my system through cataloging, and it incorporates their latest noise reduction through 'Deep Prime' which is identical to their most recent release of DXO Pure RAW. Pure RAW and Deep Prime are the same thing. So... I own DXO PL4 Elite, find it to be much more configurable and user friendly in every way, and at least I cannot differentiate between the noise reducing and fine tuning capabilities of Topaz DeNoise vs PL4 Deep Prime. Admittedly, I still jump to DeNoise at times as it also incorporates Clear AI and low light editing.

I tried Capture One for some time and then deleted it as I couldn't match what I already have... The sole downfall here of course is that DXO isn't 50% off, however it doesnt have to be when you consider the massive price even after discount for Capture One.

Easy hand held shot from last night fooling around... Canon R5 (I bought new from Gelo on RFD actually as there was such a backlog last July) with 100-500L Canon lens. 1/80 sec. f/7.1 500mm @ 400ISO

_D1A0614_DxO-DeNoiseAI-clear.jpg

After trying many many programs. I have come to realize, that if it's not a monthly based subscription (Adobe create cloud), they will get you with the yearly based subscription. Capture one, DXO, On1 all have pretty frequent update releases that will suck most users into purchasing for 69-300$. You will pay either monthly or annually if you wanna stay current - unless you go GIMP. I always end up back at lightroom as I find it runs the best (M1 Macbook) for me.
Dec 12, 2013
259 posts
130 upvotes
Mississauga
How do people come across these discounts? I didnt subscribe in time and missed out on the 50% off.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2530 posts
1252 upvotes
Davhur wrote: After trying many many programs. I have come to realize, that if it's not a monthly based subscription (Adobe create cloud), they will get you with the yearly based subscription. Capture one, DXO, On1 all have pretty frequent update releases that will suck most users into purchasing for 69-300$. You will pay either monthly or annually if you wanna stay current - unless you go GIMP. I always end up back at lightroom as I find it runs the best (M1 Macbook) for me.
Not true whatsoever... Regular updates to improve DXO PL4 Elite...all free.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)
  1. WD Black AN1500 2TB AIC NVME SSD 6.5GB/s r/wr
  2. Intel i9-10900K and ASRock Z490 Taichi Motherboard
Mar 16, 2015
165 posts
138 upvotes
BC
flamenko wrote: Not true whatsoever... Regular updates to improve DXO PL4 Elite...all free.
Until DXO PL5 comes out.
Mar 16, 2015
165 posts
138 upvotes
BC
flamenko wrote: At which time I STILL OWN my copy of DXO PL4 Elite and it is my choice to move up or not.
How did you get PL4 for free?
DxO 1 comes out Oct 2017
DxO 2 comes out Oct 2018 most users pay for the upgrade
DxO 3 comes out Oct 2019 most users pay for the upgrade
DxO 4 comes out Oct 2020 most users pay for the upgrade
DxO 5 will come out Oct 2021 most users will pay for the upgrade.

Understanding this payment model is not rocket science. To stay current you will need to pay for upgrades.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2019
443 posts
1839 upvotes
Davhur wrote: always end up back at lightroom as I find it runs the best (M1 Macbook) for me.
You don't know what you are talking about.

C1 21 is also now native M1, and humiliates Lightroom M1 app. 3 times faster in imports and twice in exports. Why don't you hear it straight from DPReview who tested it, especially hear it from 7:31 onwards -

Same review if you like to read - LINK

C1 vs LR.jpg

They tested C1 on M1 and LR on M1 vs C1 on PC and LR on PC.