Automotive

car alignment qustions

  • Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 10:06 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes

car alignment qustions

I have a 2016 Lexus is300, it's out of alignment due to a very minor "accident" at railed carwash. Should I bring it to dealership for alignment or my mechanic's small auto shop?? my mechanic's shop doesn't seem to have a fancy alignment machine, but I remember I have done it once there for my old car. Do I have to provide alignment specs or it doesn't matter?? thanks
24 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1788 posts
2228 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Most dealers don't do alignments and get a shop to do it. I'd go to an alignment shop before your standard mechanics shop. The odds of them having an alignment rack are fairly small.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Most dealers don't do alignments and get a shop to do it. I'd go to an alignment shop before your standard mechanics shop. The odds of them having an alignment rack are fairly small.
Thanks. Any reputable alignment shops in Markham?
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
okay, found a shop that has good review and it has a hunter alignment machine. I assume they have the alignment specs for my car, right?? so I don't have to provide the specs, right?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1788 posts
2228 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Leungss wrote: okay, found a shop that has good review and it has a hunter alignment machine. I assume they have the alignment specs for my car, right?? so I don't have to provide the specs, right?
They will have them on file yes. All apart of the machine itself.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19070 upvotes
Oakville
If your alignment is off, then you probably bent some suspension arm that now needs to be replaced, so make sure to have them inspect it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 8, 2005
1144 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Just make sure they have a decent alignment machine and make sure they adjust not just toe but camber or caster if its required. Forget that mechanics saying of set the toe and let it go. If camber or caster is out it should be fixed as well. But most importantly, if its a good place they will inspect the suspension/ steering components first to check for damaged/bent parts before the alignment. If they or the subframe has shifted there is no point in setting up the car on the rack.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1736 posts
2749 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Check out Altech if you're ok with going to Etobicoke. Good reviews and also recommended from a lot a people on RFD.

Edit: if the shop knows what they're doing they already have the alignment specs. No need to tell them.
Last edited by secretalcoholic on May 21st, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
I hope not, it was just a very minor "accident", when the left wheel entered the rail, the steering wheel rotated half a circle, I tried to correct it a bit. no sound, no nothing. if it's bent, the mechanic changed my winter tires should have notice it. They always checked the undercarriage to see if anything needed fixing.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2006
830 posts
443 upvotes
Leungss wrote: okay, found a shop that has good review and it has a hunter alignment machine. I assume they have the alignment specs for my car, right?? so I don't have to provide the specs, right?
Did you end up finding a place? Yes all new alignment machine have oem specs so the tech can bring it back to the proper alignment
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19070 upvotes
Oakville
CanadianLurker wrote: Was this OP?
There's no way that caused an alignment issues. Just a roller going under the tires.
Leungss wrote: I hope not, it was just a very minor "accident", when the left wheel entered the rail, the steering wheel rotated half a circle, I tried to correct it a bit. no sound, no nothing. if it's bent, the mechanic changed my winter tires should have notice it. They always checked the undercarriage to see if anything needed fixing.
What's the symptom? Car pulling to one side? Steering wheel not centred?

And the guy changing your tires isn't taking a look at your suspension alignment. Unless it's very bad, you'd need a close examination to see anything wrong.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
engineered wrote: There's no way that caused an alignment issues. Just a roller going under the tires.


What's the symptom? Car pulling to one side? Steering wheel not centred?

And the guy changing your tires isn't taking a look at your suspension alignment. Unless it's very bad, you'd need a close examination to see anything wrong.
Steering wheel not centered. I have to slight tilt the steering wheel 5 degrees to the right to go straight.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17160 posts
19070 upvotes
Oakville
Leungss wrote: Steering wheel not centered. I have to slight tilt the steering wheel 5 degrees to the right to go straight.
Did you get it checked out yet? Something is bent/damaged to cause that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1984 posts
998 upvotes
Ontario
Probably bent a tierod.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Member
Apr 18, 2011
352 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Image
secretalcoholic wrote: Check out Altech if you're ok with going to Etobicoke. Good reviews and also recommended from a lot a people on RFD.

Edit: if the shop knows what they're doing they already have the alignment specs. No need to tell them.
Have been there a few times and very happy with their quality of alignment services.
Images
  • Altech Automotive 1.jpg
  • Altech Automotive 2.jpg
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2019
177 posts
88 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Probably bent a tierod.
Alignment shop will fix bent tierod, right? If not I have to bring it to my mechanic first

Top