[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

Car audio Deck replacement and install recommendation

Hey RFD,

Looking to replace my deck in my VW 2008 rabbit. I am trying to obviously get the best price out here. And would like to hear from some of you about you experience.

Double Din and adding a sub is the goal.

I did ask this one place how much would I be looking at for a Double din with android Auto. He said min $800 for deck and install. Does that sound right?

I know it can vary, so I am asking here to get an idea of what is reasonable etc.

Thanks for your time.
16 replies
Feb 4, 2017
253 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds about right. Depends on the brand of the deck, $800 sounds like a fair price.

Call a couple different places, get quotes.

Do research on the brand and check reviews.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26694 posts
6963 upvotes
You can't determine if that's reasonable or not by just saying "min. $800 for 'deck' and install". This sounds like more of a pass-off than an actual quote on anything. Either they don't think you're serious or they're not serious about doing business, one or the other.

Like what 'deck' is it? A $200 one or a $600 one? What's included in the install, all parts/harnesses needed, CAN interface, steering wheel controls, etc.? Or just some ghetto hack-job wired in as cheaply as possible? The fact that "min" is placed before the alleged "quote" means that has to be the cheapest double-DIN AA-compatible unit they sell, and the very minimum of having it "just work" in the car, without any extras like wheel controls (if you have those).

No details and a "min $800 deck and install" pass-off "quote" means this is probably not the place you want to go to.

Give some more details about the "quote" or get them from them, or go elsewhere. If you want more ideas about what HUs to be looking at, you also need to give more details about what you need.
-Do you want CD/DVD compatibility?
-Built-in navigation?
-Multiple USBs?
-Is this just a general head unit you're gonna use speakers on or are you going to be upgrading to separate amps and better speakers, subwoofer?
-etc.

Too many variables here to give that quote and ask if it's good, and not enough information on what you're actually looking for other than double DIN and AA.
Feb 6, 2009
58 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Cobra in Mississauga last October and paid $615 for double din head unit with carplay and AA ( Kenwood ddx6706S), trim and radio harness. Install was $132. Not including tax. Hope that helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: You can't determine if that's reasonable or not by just saying "min. $800 for 'deck' and install". This sounds like more of a pass-off than an actual quote on anything. Either they don't think you're serious or they're not serious about doing business, one or the other.

Like what 'deck' is it? A $200 one or a $600 one? What's included in the install, all parts/harnesses needed, CAN interface, steering wheel controls, etc.? Or just some ghetto hack-job wired in as cheaply as possible? The fact that "min" is placed before the alleged "quote" means that has to be the cheapest double-DIN AA-compatible unit they sell, and the very minimum of having it "just work" in the car, without any extras like wheel controls (if you have those).

No details and a "min $800 deck and install" pass-off "quote" means this is probably not the place you want to go to.

Give some more details about the "quote" or get them from them, or go elsewhere. If you want more ideas about what HUs to be looking at, you also need to give more details about what you need.
-Do you want CD/DVD compatibility?
-Built-in navigation?
-Multiple USBs?
-Is this just a general head unit you're gonna use speakers on or are you going to be upgrading to separate amps and better speakers, subwoofer?
-etc.

Too many variables here to give that quote and ask if it's good, and not enough information on what you're actually looking for other than double DIN and AA.
Thanks for your reply and you are right. I should've been more detailed, He asked me it depends on if you want a deck with a screen? and you need to pay for a harness Trim. He said the harness was $30 bucks though. He said you would be looking at a min of $800 for this installed. It was just a quick conversation. I visited the place but it is not in operation due to covid but someone pulled up to go inside when I was leaving. I asked hey do you work here, he said yes and then I got into the conversation about getting a replacement deck for my car.

But I was hoping to get an idea for a basic deck replacement with the double din and Android Auto. I thought since Android Auto being mentioned. I wouldn't really need a built in navi or multiple usb because a lot of those features would be from the software on my phone. But I admit I am ignorant to all this.

I would like to replace my malfunctioning OEM CD deck in my car with an after market double din style with a screen that has Android Auto compatibility, 1 x usb is fine. I do not care for dvd/cd compatibility. No built in navigation, no steering wheel controls.

This is the main priority. My budget was $800 but with a sub added in keeping the current all around speakers. is that dreaming? I don't want top of the line but something some what decent. This being RFD and all, I figure this would be the place to get the best value and not over pay. I don't mind paying fair.
Nov 26, 2008
778 posts
393 upvotes
GTA
I was going to get an alpine iwl 650 deck in my Toyota Rav 4 and visions was about 800 or it was 650-700 if I did it because of all of the extra harnesses and steering wheel controls.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Thanks for the responses, I just went with a pioneer double din style from Vision
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/3 ... u=FHS701BS

I decided to just get an inexpensive deck, I can live without AA. Now Just gotta get the harness and trim as they didn't have it for my car.
I guess this post can fade out now.

Thanks again
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4819 posts
67 upvotes
Local
What's wrong with your current deck or original deck?
Oct 26, 2016
276 posts
345 upvotes
Get yourself one of these, they're cheap, they look factory and are a piece of cake to install... 800 for a double din android auto compatible stereo installed is absurd... unless you're installing an amp, car stereos are super easy to install, just need the correct harness, and a some butt connectors and about an hour of your time. I have done countless installs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000204 ... hweb201603_
Aug 8, 2005
514 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
cb8888 wrote: Get yourself one of these, they're cheap, they look factory and are a piece of cake to install... 800 for a double din android auto compatible stereo installed is absurd... unless you're installing an amp, car stereos are super easy to install, just need the correct harness, and a some butt connectors and about an hour of your time. I have done countless installs

Agreed, do exactly this. Will look and integrate fully with your car as if it came from the factory

Bonus is usually minimal install. No wire cutting etc. Just get the factory instructions for radio removal and follow them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
john widow wrote: What's wrong with your current deck or original deck?
ok there is no Aux and the cd changer doesn't work, I can only get the radio function. Which is ok but I would rather have the option to add my own selection of driving tunes, So need a replacement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
cb8888 wrote: Get yourself one of these, they're cheap, they look factory and are a piece of cake to install... 800 for a double din android auto compatible stereo installed is absurd... unless you're installing an amp, car stereos are super easy to install, just need the correct harness, and a some butt connectors and about an hour of your time. I have done countless installs

Thanks for the suggestion. hmmm yeah i I am assuming the were giving me a 500+ deck for the quote? But yeah I will look into your link.
Oct 26, 2016
276 posts
345 upvotes
yatta wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. hmmm yeah i I am assuming the were giving me a 500+ deck for the quote? But yeah I will look into your link.
Yea, but that "500+ for the deck" is really another up sell so they make money... It doesn't take more then an hour to install and the 100 or whatever they say they charge for labor only may be partly true, but audio installers wouldn't be in business if all they were doing is making money off labor...

It's the same idea with servicing your car at the dealer, or independent shop, they make money off you not just in what you pay in labor, but what you pay for the parts too

I know for a fact that the cost for parts retail at the dealership is roughly 40 - 50% markup of the wholesale price, at least for the brand that I used to work for, but I'm sure other makes are roughly in the same range

My suggestion to buy that deck off aliexpress is your best if you're not looking for anything crazy and just need a working radio. I doubt you'll get any audio shop to install it though... I could help out if you decide to go the aliexpress route

Edit: I just looked at the stereo in more detail, and it's literally plug and play... no need to solder any wires or any of that fun stuff. It's literally pop the old radio off, plug the new one in. Done in 10 minutes. Doesn't get any easier really