• Mar 6th, 2018 9:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
55 posts
3 upvotes
Norval, ON

car audio help

Hey I'd like to upgrade my factory audio system with a budget of 2k including installation, I mostly listen to hip-hop, and I want greater sound quality, can you guys help me out? I will be keep the factory head-unit, and it will be taken to a shop for the install. The dash speakers are 3-1/2, the front doors and rear doors are 6-1/2.
7 replies
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
41 upvotes
Hello, in my car i changed out all the factory speakers with jl audio which seem to be really good. But pioneer, kenwood, jl audio or Rockford fosgate all seem like good choices.

Door Speakers: Four 6 1/2, so you gotta consider if they need a tweeter which is usually in the front doors. so a pair of component speakers for the front with tweeter (has a cross over with it that splits the signal) then 2 coaxial speakers for the rear doors which takes the signal directly.

Front speaker: This speaker wont make much difference if changed or not, but its up to you.

Now the decision you have to make is what amplifier you want, if you upgrade the speakers, and run it off the head unit then they will be under-powered. What i recommend is depending on speaker 80-100 watts rms rating, the speakers would need 400rms on a 4 channel amp. (xd400/4 is amazing in my opinion)

Next you need a input signal for the amp, so you need to get a input line converter and get a signal from the headunit and turn it into rca. (or check if behind the headunit if there is rca output for speakers and you can take that directly to the amp input)

Now the hard part is depending on your vehicle, do you run new wire to your door speakers with new thicker wire( to handle more power) or take amplified signal wires and run them back to behind your headunit. Because then you can just wire it into the harness so amplifies signal runs to all the doors.

If you want a sub, and it fits in the budget, a 5 channel amp to power all the speakers may be a good decision or if you want subs in the future a 5 channel amo for now would be a good idea or you can always put a second amp in the car in the future,

No expert but just tying to help
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11063 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto
disarmking1 wrote: Hey I'd like to upgrade my factory audio system with a budget of 2k including installation, I mostly listen to hip-hop, and I want greater sound quality, can you guys help me out? I will be keep the factory head-unit, and it will be taken to a shop for the install. The dash speakers are 3-1/2, the front doors and rear doors are 6-1/2.
What vehicle/year and is it the upgraded stereo or no?

Here's the setup I did on my 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

4ch amp = Clarion XC1420 (it's small enough that it fit behind the headunit)
monoblock amp = JL Audio JX500/1D
Subwoofer = JL Audio 12W3v3-4

Now, both amps I purchased new, one was $170 and the monoblock was $300

The sub I bought used (well, off kijiji but it was brand new, in a sealed enclosure for $150. That was beyond a steal. I did test it with an ohm meter + on an amp that could handle it. That speaker itself on JLs site is $499.99 without the enclosure.

Shop did all the labour for a lot less than anywhere else only because I deal with them all the time and I had the wiring package for it already (4 gauge).

Knowing what kind of music you listen to, you have to ask yourself, do you want a tight bass response or just loud and not as tight. If you want tight, go with a sealed enclosure, louder, go with ported. Personally, since I listen to pretty much everything depending on my mood,
I have always had sealed and believe me, with the right size enclosure to match a GOOD speaker (like the 12W3 I have), it is plenty loud. The enclosure that you use will make so much more of a difference than most realize. If it is not built to the manufacturers specs/recommendations then don't expect it to sound how it should. Too many people make this mistake, especially with vehicles with a smaller space to install speakers such as a truck.

Now, there's a big issue I face with this car and the stereo. Most people who've heard it thinks it sounds amazing, but I know what's up. The problem is that the stock head unit (which I refuse to change because so much is tied to it) automatically starts cutting the bass off the louder I turn the volume up. Pretty much the only way to fix this issue is to get a processor such as the JL Audio Fix 82 (or Fix 86). This flattens out the signal and will make a massive difference but it isn't cheap.

So knowing this, if you have a relatively new vehicle, I would look into forums related to your make/model and go into their audio section and either look around/search or ask if this is a potential issue that will come up or not.

In my car, there is a DSP-FLAT option in a hidden service menu which I can change in about 20 seconds but it resets to the way honda programmed it every time I turn the car off, so somewhat annoying, but when I turn DSP-FLAT on it sounds so much better, like a night and day difference better.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
55 posts
3 upvotes
Norval, ON
Thank you for your response, it is a 18' Camry with non premium audio. Would you recommend using the 10" factory cut out for the sub? and which shop did your install? I'm considering Radioactive in Burlington. Since this is a new vehicle I cant find anything on if I need a DSP or not.
Mar 14, 2008
550 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
you might find some useful information Here.... The OP seems to reply somewhat frequently.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2745 posts
1974 upvotes
Upgrade your headunit first. That is likely your biggest restrictor right now.
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
55 posts
3 upvotes
Norval, ON
not possible, i'm gonna get a fix 86 to clean up the factory bs