• Jul 26th, 2020 11:07 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge

Car Audio set up/discussion thread

Getting back into Car Audio, my last system was 13 years ago on my 2002 Acura RSX Premium, I spent about $3k with Alpine Type S series.

I missed it and didn't help my boy got a 2020 Subaru Impreza with the upgraded Rockford Fosgate system. Also I figured, since I'm not going back to the Philippines again this year, why not make use of my money. LOL

Upgrading my CivicX, keeping the OEM infotainment but everything else is being upgraded to JL Audio C1 series components , 5-channel and single 12 at the back. I always wanted JL Audio back in the day.

Times have really changed or I'm thinking factory systems are just good enough? Did you upgrade?

I wonder if I should order some Sound Deadening on amazon?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
21 replies
Nov 20, 2008
356 posts
105 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
The average level of OEM audio systems has gone up slightly.
At the same time, the average quality of the source has gone down (Audio CD, 320kbps MP3 cds etc are all but gone).
The average level of aftermarket audio enthusiasm has also gone down overall, especially due to increased installation complexities.
The average demand on an audio system has also gone down - podcasts & audiobooks consumption is higher than ever before.
Just some personal observations Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Sound deadening is always a great idea! My recommendation would have been Dampmat, but looking at the Canadian website, they have obviously not been in the business for a while here.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4326 posts
1414 upvotes
Brampton
Yeah upgrading headunits is getting harder with infotainment, camera systems, and vital functions integrated into it.
With older or base model cars it is still doable.
A lot of the speaker systems are much better than 10+ years ago too.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3067 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
I simply added a few tweeters & sub to my new car, doing a full upgrade with amp deck and sound proofing wasn't worth it, sound quality is better and it really doesn't require another deck as the stock is better than aftermarket right now.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Nov 18, 2019
329 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
Interested in everyone's experience in using Android Head Units like Seicane or Joying. Where did you get it? Was Install easy? etc.

I hear the audio from a radio source is generally bad?
Jan 31, 2008
152 posts
112 upvotes
Mississauga
I have 2 seicane units, a 9” in a 2014 forester, and a 10” in a 2009 civic. I bought them from the seicane website and everything was delivered in 2 weeks. The units were plug-and-play with the included harnesses, so steering wheel controls work and can be programmed (short-press and long-press functions). I had some trouble installing a backup camera in the ‘09 civic, but figured it out (confusing details about which wires to connect to rear lights). The radio signal is piss-poor except for local channels. However, I’ve relied on my phone and USB-sticks for music and video needs (my kids like to watch their shows from headrest monitors that run off the seicane).
If you want to go this route, get the octa-core units, as my quad-core units can’t seem to handle Waze and music at the same time, and crashes on Google Maps once in a while.
Be warned; you will need to rely on many YouTube videos for trouble shooting, and returns on faulty units may be expensive. However, they are fun to play around with.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4490 posts
2976 upvotes
I think people generally prioritize hearing more and don't turn up the bass as much. I use to hear a car thump like 20 to 30 seconds before seeing the car pass by. Lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
Nice. Thanks for pic.

I wonder if I should go with that set up instead of a 12" box. I was told it doesn't sound as good.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4326 posts
1414 upvotes
Brampton
bembol wrote: Nice. Thanks for pic.

I wonder if I should go with that set up instead of a 12" box. I was told it doesn't sound as good.
Depends what you find more important, deeper bass or space in your trunk.
I downsized from a dual 12" box that took up most of the cargo space in a wagon, to a single 8" taking up barely any space, but that wouldnt work well for a sedan with the rear seats in place.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
I guess deeper bass. Not concerned about space either, as I have my Crossover.

I just like the cleaner look though.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2656 posts
1289 upvotes
The average 20-30 yr old consumer doesn't care much for sound quality vs convenience.
Audiophiles are dying a slow death, not only in the home arena but probably more so in car audio.
The oem head units make it almost impossible to upgrade. How are you connecting the amps with the oem headunit?
Advantage: Car manufacturers, that charge us $2k for a bigger screen, subwoofer setup.
Sep 8, 2008
281 posts
82 upvotes
T.O
If you are really looking for the old aftermarket sound m, you need to add jl fix and twk. Even with upgraded speakers factory radio sounds bad, I’ve done these upgrades and come close to the e sound I’m looking for.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1262 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
dantey wrote: The average 20-30 yr old consumer doesn't care much for sound quality vs convenience.
Audiophiles are dying a slow death, not only in the home arena but probably more so in car audio.
The oem head units make it almost impossible to upgrade. How are you connecting the amps with the oem headunit?
Advantage: Car manufacturers, that charge us $2k for a bigger screen, subwoofer setup.
Simply tapping the speaker wires to the level inputs on the amp, giving you the accessibility to add a sub-woofer(s). That's exactly what I did with my stock system on my daily driver, huge improvement!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3331 posts
955 upvotes
Vaughan
I used to be into audio, and nowadays I'm fine with the stock radio, and speakers. I don't need the hearing loss any more. Plus I'm more concerned on how well my car handles as opposed to sub boxes in my trunk.

Everyone is different if your still into audio, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to upgrade. I had JL equipment, and I liked JL. Although the purist on the audio forums will tell you that JL is either crap or mediocre.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2011
1108 posts
1151 upvotes
Pearson
dantey wrote: The average 20-30 yr old consumer doesn't care much for sound quality vs convenience.
You do realize the same oem head units are made by the same guys who make "upgrades" right? And I've been hearing this since 2003 when cars started to integrate the HAC with the display...
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3067 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
ChibaK wrote: Interested in everyone's experience in using Android Head Units like Seicane or Joying. Where did you get it? Was Install easy? etc.

I hear the audio from a radio source is generally bad?
Had a Joying in my 370z, simple plug and play including steering wheel controls, ordered through Amazon and the Nissan harness from Joying. Still have it and it's going to my brother when I get the time to install it, issue with mine and I suspect newer models is the long boot up time and crashing, you'd need to reset it manually every now and again which is annoying, otherwise it was good for what it was meant for, sound quality was actually much better over stock, 370z stock stereo was the worst sounding OEM stereo I've ever heard.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13104 posts
4706 upvotes
Ontario
A proper sized ported box will provide deeper bass then my setup. However I need my trunk space and over stock this is a big improvement & to the average person they likely cant tell the difference between a proper ported box vs a good fiberglass setup anyways.
bembol wrote: Nice. Thanks for pic.

Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1279 posts
625 upvotes
Markham
I believe Mazda is the only mainstream brand that allows us to tie into a digital signal from the head unit for their Bose systems. This allows someone to feed a DSP/amp for a clean custom audio setup without loosing any capabilities from the built-in system. The Mazda head unit also supports FLAC files for highest digital quality. Unfortunately most people are no longer interested in high quality car audio these days.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10125 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: I think people generally prioritize hearing more and don't turn up the bass as much. I use to hear a car thump like 20 to 30 seconds before seeing the car pass by. Lol.
I miss thoses cars when I'm sitting at a traffic light a few cars behind me blasting his bass making my car shake. Miss driving around just feel other people cars. And especially at this pendemic I still hear no cars with bass. Where have they gone?

About stock audio systems just Bluetooth your cell phone to the car. All music is on your phones with YouTube music streaming also.

Alot drivers don't use their audio systems when they have both their ears with earphones.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."