Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 2:24 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CocoJambo wrote: Noco G7200 does not seem to be have regular surface voltage measuring analysis of state of charge..
Friends new van with all bells and whistles did not start one fine morning. he called CAA ...after 20 or so attempts ( guys booster pack was discharged lol) they managed to start the van...he drove to office approx 12 kms
I joined him while back from office... van started well...we drove to my place 7 kms ..I told him how to use noco... then he drove his home another 5 kms at 6 pm..
he put noco...he said it took up to 1 am in the night to charge the battery to 100%
I am sure after this much driving , noco would definitely have found surface voltage to be full but still charged the battery...
It probably did find some surface charge but considering your friend's battery was empty, even with the surface charge, the voltage of the battery when the charger was connected was more than likely below the 'FULL' level. Surface charge is a real YMMV as it will depend on the condition of the battery and the time between ending the charge and measuring the voltage as well. Example - if a battery was empty and then charged to 50%, the surface charge will still result in a voltage measurement that is higher than what it really is. So, in this example, 50% is approx 12.2V on a lead-acid battery so you may see 12.5V after 10 or 15 minutes after charging it to 50% and then a few hours later, you might see 12.3V and then a few more hours later you get down to 12.2V. Now if the battery was FULL (ie 12.7V), then you may see 13.0V 10 to 15 minutes after charging, and then it drops to 12.8V a few hours later and then down to 12.7V a few hours after that.

One thing to note however, even with all of that driving, the battery wasn't full as he needed another 8 hours of charging before the charger thought it was full.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
My car is 2012. The battery seems running ok except I remember there were several incidents that it took a couple times to start in the extreme cold days last year. Is it time to replace it anyway just to be safe ?

By the way, is it ok to get from Active Green & Ross or Canadian Tire ? Or buy it from Costco ? But then, I will have to install it myself ........

Thanks for any advice.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: My car is 2012. The battery seems running ok except I remember there were several incidents that it took a couple times to start in the extreme cold days last year. Is it time to replace it anyway just to be safe ?

By the way, is it ok to get from Active Green & Ross or Canadian Tire ? Or buy it from Costco ? But then, I will have to install it myself ........

Thanks for any advice.
The first thing I would do is get the battery tested. If you are close to a Parts Source or Mr. Lube, they offer FREE in care battery testing. The test can let you know if all you need is a battery charge or if the battery is failing. If this is the first battery replacement since 2012, chances are that you may need a battery after 7 years. Sometimes the alternator may not be providing the full voltage because of a worn serpentine belt. This can happen on vehicles that are 7 years or older. Part's Source tester can also check the starter and alternator voltage and let you know if things are OK.

In terms of where to get the battery, Canadian Tire, Active Green and Ross and Walmart all sell the SAME battery (made by East Penn Deka) but each have slightly different warranties depending on the model. Costco Batteries are made by Johnson Controls which is also a good brand. What vehicle do you have (I am guessing 2012 Acura RDX by your nick name). If that is the case, are you comfortable installing it yourself and are you aware if you have to let the onboard system know that you have replaced the battery? Do you have the Radio code in case you have to key it in to get it to work? Start with reading the Owners Manual to see what group size, minimum CCA and other considerations you need to do.

If not, make sure that the place you take it to can take care of these issues. Alternatively, you can check with the Dealership to see how much a new battery is. Chances are it won't be that much more but at least these type of issues are taken care of.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. Yes, first time since I bought this 2012 Mazda5. I guess it is time to replace it. I know Costco would have the best price, but they probably won't have any appointment for installing it.....

If Canadian Tire, Active Green and Ross and Walmart all sell the same battery, I guess I need to find the one with the lowest price. AGR charges $50 for installation.

hightech wrote: The first thing I would do is get the battery tested. If you are close to a Parts Source or Mr. Lube, they offer FREE in care battery testing. The test can let you know if all you need is a battery charge or if the battery is failing. If this is the first battery replacement since 2012, chances are that you may need a battery after 7 years. Sometimes the alternator may not be providing the full voltage because of a worn serpentine belt. This can happen on vehicles that are 7 years or older. Part's Source tester can also check the starter and alternator voltage and let you know if things are OK.

In terms of where to get the battery, Canadian Tire, Active Green and Ross and Walmart all sell the SAME battery (made by East Penn Deka) but each have slightly different warranties depending on the model. Costco Batteries are made by Johnson Controls which is also a good brand. What vehicle do you have (I am guessing 2012 Acura RDX by your nick name). If that is the case, are you comfortable installing it yourself and are you aware if you have to let the onboard system know that you have replaced the battery? Do you have the Radio code in case you have to key it in to get it to work? Start with reading the Owners Manual to see what group size, minimum CCA and other considerations you need to do.

If not, make sure that the place you take it to can take care of these issues. Alternatively, you can check with the Dealership to see how much a new battery is. Chances are it won't be that much more but at least these type of issues are taken care of.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
rdx wrote: Thanks. Yes, first time since I bought this 2012 Mazda5. I guess it is time to replace it. I know Costco would have the best price, but they probably won't have any appointment for installing it.....

If Canadian Tire, Active Green and Ross and Walmart all sell the same battery, I guess I need to find the one with the lowest price. AGR charges $50 for installation.
Can't install yourself?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
yeah just install it yourself, size 10 millimetre wrench should suffice but bring a bunch just in case
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Do Mr. Lube and Jiffy Lube sell and install battery ?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Do Mr. Lube and Jiffy Lube sell and install battery ?
If you have a 2012 Mazda 5, that should be easy enough to do. Here is a video on how to install it:

It takes a Group 35 I believe with a min 550 CCA and Walmart has a good battery with 640 CCA for $122. SKU 6000195362475

Use this site to find which store has the most stock in your area: https://stock.ga/

Just make sure that you get a fresh battery (sticker should say 11/18 or close to it) and you will be good to go. You can even ask the instore Mr. Lube to test the battery for free if you want. That is what I did.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I notice Canadian Tire says $20 additional for core charge. What does it mean ? The battery needs to be charged before use ? What about if I buy one from Costco ? Can I just put it in and start the car ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
rdx wrote: I notice Canadian Tire says $20 additional for core charge. What does it mean ? The battery needs to be charged before use ? What about if I buy one from Costco ? Can I just put it in and start the car ?
Core charge is fully refundable if you give them your old battery.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I just brought my tool and tried if I have all tools and can loosen all necessary bolts. I am going to get one from Costco and try. While I am checking the battery, I notice I probably need to replace the air filter too. Should I just get one from Canadian Tire ?
hightech wrote: If you have a 2012 Mazda 5, that should be easy enough to do. Here is a video on how to install it:

It takes a Group 35 I believe with a min 550 CCA and Walmart has a good battery with 640 CCA for $122. SKU 6000195362475

Use this site to find which store has the most stock in your area: https://stock.ga/

Just make sure that you get a fresh battery (sticker should say 11/18 or close to it) and you will be good to go. You can even ask the instore Mr. Lube to test the battery for free if you want. That is what I did.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Yes the FRAM filter should be fine.

The Costco Battery link is: https://a.sellpoint.net//w/spworld/p.ht ... 0Selectory

The Costco battery looks pretty good as the specs are:

Warranty: 36-month Warranty with 100-month Pro Rate Included

Battery Specifications:

Cold Cranking Amps – 640
Cranking Amps – 800
Reserve Capacity – 100
Amp Hours – 57

BTW, while at Canadian Tire, get a battery cleaning brush, battery cleaner to clean the connectors, and a set of Battery Terminals protectors (RED and BLACKS pads) and put them on the battery terminals. That helps to prevent any corrosion. Also, don't forget gloves and eye protection as these things are bad for skin and eyes). Those battery cables might be dirty after 7 years and it is a good idea to get everything cleaned up nicely first. Also, check and clean the battery plate as well so that everything is nice and clean.

Links:

Brush: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

Felt Pads: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

Spray Cleaner: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1700p.html
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rdx wrote: Thanks. Yes, first time since I bought this 2012 Mazda5. I guess it is time to replace it. I know Costco would have the best price, but they probably won't have any appointment for installing it.....

Please keep in mind that most places that will test batteries for free also sell batteries so they might not be completely honest with what your next course of action should be after the test. I always tell people to perform some basic maintenance on the battery (ie clean terminals, check/fill fluid levels - if possible, and charge the battery) BEFORE getting it tested so that the battery is in the best possible condition for the test. By doing so, you will know that there's little to nothing that can be done to improve the battery's performance at that point and the battery test will confirm what that is.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hightech wrote: Yes the FRAM filter should be fine.

The Costco Battery link is: https://a.sellpoint.net//w/spworld/p.ht ... 0Selectory

The Costco battery looks pretty good as the specs are:

Warranty: 36-month Warranty with 100-month Pro Rate Included

Battery Specifications:

Cold Cranking Amps – 640
Cranking Amps – 800
Reserve Capacity – 100
Amp Hours – 57

BTW, while at Canadian Tire, get a battery cleaning brush, battery cleaner to clean the connectors, and a set of Battery Terminals protectors (RED and BLACKS pads) and put them on the battery terminals. That helps to prevent any corrosion. Also, don't forget gloves and eye protection as these things are bad for skin and eyes). Those battery cables might be dirty after 7 years and it is a good idea to get everything cleaned up nicely first. Also, check and clean the battery plate as well so that everything is nice and clean.

Links:

Brush: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

Felt Pads: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

Spray Cleaner: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1700p.html
If you use the battery brush, you probably won't need the battery cleaner. The brush will mechanically remove the top layer of metal off the terminals leaving a clean smooth surface for the battery clamps to connect to. I would also apply a thin layer of dielectric grease (typically sold for tune-ups) to the terminals before connecting, and then another thin layer to the clamps to help prevent corrosion.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Johnson Controls announces deal to sell automotive battery business for $13.2 billion
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bu ... 987434002/
Johnson Controls International plc has agreed to sell its automotive battery business to a Canadian private equity firm and institutional investors, including an entity that manages public pension plans in Quebec, for $13.2 billion.
The sale, expected to close by June 30, would complete Johnson Controls’ exit from the automotive business and comes two years after the merger of Johnson Controls and Tyco International International plc.
Under the agreement announced Tuesday, the business would be sold to Brookfield Business Partners L.P., a publicly traded limited partnership, and a group of institutional investors, including Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, in a cash transaction valued at $13.2 billion in cash.
Brookfield is a spin-off of Brookfield Asset Management, a Canadian firm that has $285 billion under management and invests in real estate, infrastructure, renewable power and private equity.
Full story at the link above.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Deepwater,

Thanks for the info. I had updated my original post on Nov 13 when the news came out. It listed as follows:

As of Nov 13, 2018, Johnson Controls has sold their Battery/Power business: https://www.johnsoncontrols.com/media-c ... s-business

I am unsure on how this will impact their quality of their batteries going forward.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
Sorry hitech I did not see that you updated your original post. This did give me the opportunity to go back to your original post and see what a really great thread this is. Thanks!
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Jul 11, 2005
394 posts
105 upvotes
This thread has been very useful. My 2008 Mazda 3 panasonic battery is starting to show it's age in cold weather. I don't think charging it will do anything but I'm gonna take it to Parts Source to test it, I literally haven't touched the battery since I've owned the car.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TrueDon wrote: This thread has been very useful. My 2008 Mazda 3 panasonic battery is starting to show it's age in cold weather. I don't think charging it will do anything but I'm gonna take it to Parts Source to test it, I literally haven't touched the battery since I've owned the car.
I would only test a battery after you perform some basic maintenance on it first as testing will only tell you the current status of the battery NOT whether or not it can improve with charging/maintenance.

If you have literally haven't touched the battery since you have owned car, I'll bet that the fluid levels in the battery are low (which should be topped off) and the charge is poor. And I didn't even have to test the battery!
Jul 3, 2017
232 posts
354 upvotes
YYC
Very fortunate to have my 4 year old JC-made Walmart battery replaced at no charge. It had 9 year limited warranty label on it so I was expecting pro-rated replacement, but auto associate told the customer service to replace it. Is this normal? However, I noticed CCA and CA are both a bit down when compared to the old battery. Who makes Walmart battery now? New one doesn't say JC made anymore.