Automotive

Which car battery to buy for MB c300 ? Kirkland or Exide AGM ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2021 1:47 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2014
90 posts
19 upvotes
Winnipeg , MB

Which car battery to buy for MB c300 ? Kirkland or Exide AGM ?

Hi ,

I am looking for a new battery for my 2012 mercedes c300 . I am not sure whether to go for AGM or the normal flooded battery .
Costco carries the kirkland brand for 130$ and their online store has exide edge AGM for 200$ (which will take a week for the shipment )

Please give your thoughts
Thanks
27 replies
Jan 17, 2017
250 posts
350 upvotes
Personally for a c300 I would get an AGM because it has so many electronics draw.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
george__ wrote: Costco
Costco Warehouse locations sell the Kirkland branded batteries and Costco.ca sells Exide AGM batteries
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
"Costco's Kirkland car batteries were once the darling of experts and car owners -- the best bargain battery around, boasting a super-long life and an equally super warranty. But Costco has quit selling them.

"Interstate batteries have replaced the Kirkland branded car batteries at your local Costco," ConsumerPete.com reports. Car owners all over the Internet confirm (and lament) the change. However, while Interstate batteries are pricier than the late Kirkland batteries (both made by Johnson Controls), Interstate batteries are emerging as a leader among automotive batteries designed for heavy-duty use. "
https://www.consumersearch.com/car-batt ... -batteries
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
Canadian Tire AGM purchased with 20% off gift cards and during a spend x get y sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1355 upvotes
GTA
I like AGM's because they tend to have more CCA and usually deliver a greater starting current.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20713 posts
14172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you are looking at Exide's AGM battery, CT sells the same battery under it's house brand for typically a few bucks less with a better warranty if I remember correctly.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1355 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote: If you are looking at Exide's AGM battery, CT sells the same battery under it's house brand for typically a few bucks less with a better warranty if I remember correctly.
True, CT gives a 5 year warranty and PartSource gives a 4 year warranty on basically the same battery - the label is the difference, physically.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
craftsman wrote: If you are looking at Exide's AGM battery, CT sells the same battery under it's house brand for typically a few bucks less with a better warranty if I remember correctly.
Viperoni wrote: True, CT gives a 5 year warranty and PartSource gives a 4 year warranty on basically the same battery - the label is the difference, physically.
Exide AGM battery through Costco.ca has 48 month replacement warranty and 48 month jumpstart assistance

Source: https://a.sellpoint.net/a/Edge6pgMKTG27 ... 5DbdlY.pdf
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Viperoni wrote: True, CT gives a 5 year warranty and PartSource gives a 4 year warranty on basically the same battery - the label is the difference, physically.
Well CT and PartSource are the same company :)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1355 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote: Well CT and PartSource are the same company :)
True, I just didn't want to say that they are "exactly" the same battery, because somebody would have pointed out that the CT battery has a black case and the PS battery has a grey case :)
Mar 7, 2011
685 posts
1013 upvotes
Apologies for reviving old thread. My mechanic told me that for Merc and BMW do not get anything but original battery from dealership. Is this true?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13215 posts
4824 upvotes
Ontario
Just make sure its a good quality battery but it does not have to be from the dealer.
unless he gave you a valid reason as to why you need to?
yashgandhi wrote: Apologies for reviving old thread. My mechanic told me that for Merc and BMW do not get anything but original battery from dealership. Is this true?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1101 posts
1731 upvotes
buy an optima yellowtop, it will outlast the car
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Walmart has some good battery EverStart is one of them. But it depend what type op want's to purchase.
Mar 7, 2011
685 posts
1013 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Just make sure its a good quality battery but it does not have to be from the dealer.
unless he gave you a valid reason as to why you need to?
He said he saw some Mercedes and BMW used aftermarket batteries and vehicle computers didn't work properly. I told him that I got energizer AGM battery from Costco but haven't installed it yet. He said return it and get it from dealer or interstate.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Presuming the battery is in the trunk, probably want to get an AGM here. The OE battery is probably AGM as well.

However don't expect it to really be any better performing than a flooded battery, it's just going to cost you a heck of a lot more :rolleyes: AGM is overhyped nonsense (I've owned several and made a post here before about the "AGM scam/myth"), but an interior battery, it's always a good idea to go AGM despite the cost.
TrueToy wrote: buy an optima yellowtop, it will outlast the car
LOL not even close. Out of the AGMs I've had I think the YT lasted the shortest time before getting significantly weakened. And that was an old-skool one too, US made. OTOH the longest lasting AGM I had was an old-skool RT. But yeah there's a reason YT is warrantied for only 24 months or whatever, it's not gonna last.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)