Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1483 posts
373 upvotes

car buying scam?

I posted my car for sale on Kijiji and autotrader. A guy replied to the ad asked for final price via email. I emailed back the final price and he agreed to buy it but he is an petroleum engineer (I assume he living abroad) so he needs my PayPal info to send the money in and when I get the money his agent would pick up the car.

Too good to be true?
10 replies
Oct 4, 2008
393 posts
97 upvotes
He will send you additional money by Paypal and ask you give the balance in cash to the agent. It is a classic scam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1483 posts
373 upvotes
Thanks for the responses. I've never heard of this sort of scam before and couldn't figure out how he is going to steal from me via Paypal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1483 posts
373 upvotes
maho wrote: He will send you additional money by Paypal and ask you give the balance in cash to the agent. It is a classic scam.
I would not give any balance of cash to anyone until I can verify that I got real money in my PayPal account.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32079 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
you got to ask yourself ... why would a petro engineer (making like $200K US oversea + living allowances from the employer) will want to buy a used car on Kijiji, Craiglists, etc at all.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1060 posts
107 upvotes
Halifax
phht wrote: I would not give any balance of cash to anyone until I can verify that I got real money in my PayPal account.
You should never accept more than what you are owed.

Anytime someone gives you more money than the required it is a scam.

If someone offers you more than you are owed just say no thank you and stop talking to them.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Same post as another from few days ago. Scam.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
No one in their right mind will be a "used" car without test driving and inspection (either themselves or at a mechanic of their choice).
Who the heck needs an agent to buy a used car worth a few grand???
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1483 posts
373 upvotes
Thanks guys/gals, got it. That's what the forum is for.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
157 upvotes
phht wrote: Thanks for the responses. I've never heard of this sort of scam before and couldn't figure out how he is going to steal from me via Paypal.
please google next time, this isn't a new scam at all. it'll save you and everyone else time.
images are not permitted in sigs