• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 12:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1774 posts
363 upvotes

Car came without spare, jack recommendation

My new Rio didn't come with a spare tire or jack or lug wrench.
The tire I have covered- I'm just going to use a summer tire as a full size spare. But without a jack it's not very helpful. What are some good options?
I have a trolley jack already so compact and cheap are what I'm looking for here.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3868 posts
3986 upvotes
GTA
dealer or junkyard for the jack

does a full size spare fit where it's supposed to go?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1774 posts
363 upvotes
It fits the full size tire, so the jack and everything else needs to fit inside of a 15" wheel.
Any idea on what the cost should be through a junkyard?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2210 posts
1732 upvotes
Markham
If you want to be fairly certain of fit, get the jack from the dealer. That said, is this a new thing where they don’t include these? Otherwise, I’d actually just go to the dealer and tell them they missed this. I’d be pretty shocked that this was no longer included with a new car.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Nov 10, 2015
298 posts
255 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
A jack and cheap should not be used in the same sentence. Not worth your life or legs if your car falls. Trolley jacks are ok for emergencies. Id recommend a full sized jack but doesnt make sense to carry with you at all times. Just throw the trolley jack in your trunk, itll be perfect for what you need it for.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4500 posts
590 upvotes
Scarborough
I may still have the scissor jack from my old jetta, it's meant to fit inside the wheel of a 15"
Lemme see if it's still buried in the basement, assuming you're within the GTA though
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1774 posts
363 upvotes
Thanks,
I don't want to have a full trolley Jack in the car taking up space, it's a Kia Rio, it's a small car with enough rattling already.
It's become not uncommon for cars to ship without a spare or jack. It's added weight so lower fuel economy which has prompted companies delete it. What my car came with was a pump and a can of sealant.
I don't mean too cheap, but just the regular scissors jack you'd use for an emergency. If I'm in the driveway swapping off winter tires for all seasons I'll use the trolley jack. What I don't need is a 36 inch jack for a tractor.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5145 posts
2745 upvotes
Toronto
Sum_guy wrote: Thanks,
I don't want to have a full trolley Jack in the car taking up space, it's a Kia Rio, it's a small car with enough rattling already.
It's become not uncommon for cars to ship without a spare or jack. It's added weight so lower fuel economy which has prompted companies delete it. What my car came with was a pump and a can of sealant.
I don't mean too cheap, but just the regular scissors jack you'd use for an emergency. If I'm in the driveway swapping off winter tires for all seasons I'll use the trolley jack. What I don't need is a 36 inch jack for a tractor.
Why didn't you say so in first place?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=scissor+jack&ref=is_s