Automotive

Car Cost Canada Locked My 7yr Acct Unless I Gave Cell# To Get Text Security Unlock Code. 12hrs Later I Get Dealer Calls.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 3:27 pm
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto

Car Cost Canada Locked My 7yr Acct Unless I Gave Cell# To Get Text Security Unlock Code. 12hrs Later I Get Dealer Calls.

So I've been considering replacing my car. Used AutoTrader or Visiting dealer website. Two weeks ago I visited Old Mill GMC looking at some 2021 Acadias. The next morning I get an email and a short time later, phone call. I did not fill out any of their inquiry forms. Then just a few minutes ago, I got a call from Eastside GMC. According to my browser history, I didn't even visit their site, but they knew I had been looking into a GMC Acadia.
𝗨𝗽𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲 - 𝗜 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜 𝗹𝗼𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗖𝗮𝗿 𝗖𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗖𝗮𝗻𝗮𝗱𝗮 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗢𝗹𝗱 𝗠𝗶𝗹𝗹'𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗯𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗾𝘂𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗺𝘆 𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁 𝘃𝗶𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗶𝘁𝘆.

This has me scratching my head big time. How did they get my cell number and email? I have never contacted either of them in my life.
Last edited by esoxlee on Dec 18th, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
aknny
16 replies
Nov 27, 2014
20 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Might have logged into Autotrader or Google has done it’s job
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15951 posts
17190 upvotes
Oakville
esoxlee wrote: So I've been considering replacing my car. Used AutoTrader or Visiting dealer website. Two weeks ago I visited Old Mill GMC looking at some 2021 Acadias. The next morning I get an email and a short time later, phone call. I did not fill out any of their inquiry forms. Then just a few minutes ago, I got a call from Eastside GMC. According to my browser history, I didn't even visit their site, but they knew I had been looking into a GMC Acadia.

This has me scratching my head big time. How did they get my cell number and email? I have never contacted either of them in my life.
Maybe autotrader is scraping that from tracking cookies or facebook in your browser. I would suggest turning off tracking cookies in chrome/firefox, and install plugins like ublock, Disconnect for Facebook, and Trocker.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
khotvikasp wrote: Might have logged into Autotrader or Google has done it’s job
Google/YouTube locked my account last year during a massive purge and they wanted my phone number to unlock the account. I refused to give it to them. I don't have an Auto Trader account.

But like I said in an update in the first post, I logged into my Car Cost Canada account half an hour before visiting Old Mill's webpage. They said I needed to verify my account due to inactivity through a text message.
aknny
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4210 posts
1681 upvotes
If you go to AutoTrader Canada (from your computer, not so obvious the mobile app) and browse any listing, you will notice a box on the right for "GENERAL INQUIRY / BOOK AN APPOINTMENT". It is a form with the following fields - name, email, phone, message, etc. etc.

Browse the website for a while. Then, after a while, you will notice that the form gets partially pre-filled, even if you never entered any info. Your name and email address are there already.

How did they do it? Who else are they sharing / selling that information to? Bunch of rats!

As posted above, they are tracking you with cookies (and other shared services, like google). Or you already gave permission to someone in the past, to share one of your email addresses with them. That someone is some service that is a partner of the site you're visiting (autotrader). You just don't remember because we don't read the fine print.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Check Out Who My Recommended dealer is from the Car Cost Canada report.

I suspect Car Cost Canada used my Cookies to contact Old Mill. Two weeks later, CCC gave me info to Eastside GMC. I could not find anything in the user agreement or any options of sharing my personal info with dealers.

aknny
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1860 posts
243 upvotes
When you run an invoice pricing report on CCC, they will also forward your contact info to the closest partnership dealer. Been like that since forever, never really looked into the agreement. I just ignore and they never call back.
Jan 28, 2017
784 posts
819 upvotes
Yes, its cookies and your profile info on autotrader and other car buying sites. I use a junk email with a fongo number on my autotrader account and only respond via email. Anything I'm serious in potentially buying, I will email the new/used car manager directly to set something up.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2005
382 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
br0pbr0p wrote: When you run an invoice pricing report on CCC, they will also forward your contact info to the closest partnership dealer. Been like that since forever, never really looked into the agreement. I just ignore and they never call back.
You're correct. Kind of pisses me off though for blocking access to my account unless I give them my cell number so they can send me a security code to unlock it. The very next day, I get calls from dealers. Been a CCC customer for 7 years.

Sharing Data
Within our "TERMS and CONDITIONS OF USE" we will disclose all instances where we may share your data with another organization. For example, we share your contact information from time to time with specific new car dealers who supply you with quotes. At times, we do share information with affiliates or our service partners in order to complete any of the above listed activities.
aknny
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
esoxlee wrote: So I've been considering replacing my car. Used AutoTrader or Visiting dealer website. Two weeks ago I visited Old Mill GMC looking at some 2021 Acadias. The next morning I get an email and a short time later, phone call. I did not fill out any of their inquiry forms. Then just a few minutes ago, I got a call from Eastside GMC. According to my browser history, I didn't even visit their site, but they knew I had been looking into a GMC Acadia.
𝗨𝗽𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗲 - 𝗜 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗜 𝗹𝗼𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗖𝗮𝗿 𝗖𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗖𝗮𝗻𝗮𝗱𝗮 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗢𝗹𝗱 𝗠𝗶𝗹𝗹'𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗯𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘆 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗾𝘂𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗺𝘆 𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁 𝘃𝗶𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗺𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗶𝘁𝘆.

Have you logged into carcostcanada or those types of sites? They will give your info to dealers based on cars you've searched
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3970 upvotes
esoxlee wrote: Check Out Who My Recommended dealer is from the Car Cost Canada report.

I suspect Car Cost Canada used my Cookies to contact Old Mill. Two weeks later, CCC gave me info to Eastside GMC. I could not find anything in the user agreement or any options of sharing my personal info with dealers.

CCC will pass on your info to dealers, it's a condition of using their services
Dec 10, 2006
598 posts
157 upvotes
Yes CCC passes on your phone number. (Actually the dealer pays them for the lead). I always get a call, sometimes within minutes.
Alternatives:
1. Use Unhaggle and select do not receive a quote.
2. Use a fake email and burner phone number.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5099 posts
1276 upvotes
Super scummy.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3089 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
TodayHello wrote: Super scummy.
Not really, I'm sure it's part of the T&C that OP agreed to. If you don't want to give them your phone number then don't use their services...

If you're not paying for a service, then your information is.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5099 posts
1276 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: Not really, I'm sure it's part of the T&C that OP agreed to. If you don't want to give them your phone number then don't use their services...

If you're not paying for a service, then your information is.
Justify the slime any way you want.

It’s in the T&C! lol do you hear yourself.

Here’s a concept - just because something is legal, doesn’t mean it’s right. I’ll let you think about that one for a bit.

Also, let’s put on our marketing hats for a moment ... any MBAs in the room? Annoying your potential consumer base with unwanted BS calls and texts, what’s the conversion rate on something like that? Good business practice?
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3089 posts
3019 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
TodayHello wrote: Justify the slime any way you want.

It’s in the T&C! lol do you hear yourself.

Here’s a concept - just because something is legal, doesn’t mean it’s right. I’ll let you think about that one for a bit.

Also, let’s put on our marketing hats for a moment ... any MBAs in the room? Annoying your potential consumer base with unwanted BS calls and texts, what’s the conversion rate on something like that? Good business practice?
Their business model is literally the sale of information. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use this website.

It's also in their FAQ and not disguised in any way:
Q6: Do you share my contact information with any other companies?
A6: We share your contact information with new car dealers. We do this to facilitate your purchase or lease of a new vehicle. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions of Use for details.