• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:28 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2017
222 posts
237 upvotes

Car Fax Help

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some help on the carfax report. I was looking at the vehicle 2017 Lexus ES

The carfax shows that the vehicle changed hands a few months ago and now is sitting at the dealer. Do you think it could be some sort of lemon to change hands this fast?

Also note the dealer has 2 similar vehicles with recent 2nd owner history on the carfax and now on the lot for sale.

Appreciate all the help.
Images
  • carfax.png
8 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31754 posts
18685 upvotes
Toronto
Difficult to say it’s lemon or not. Lots of services may mean warranty repairs, general repairs and ongoing issues involving multiple trips back to dealer,etc.

If you are interested, still need to do due diligence.
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2017
222 posts
237 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Difficult to say it’s lemon or not. Lots of services may mean warranty repairs, general repairs and ongoing issues involving multiple trips back to dealer,etc.

If you are interested, still need to do due diligence.
Thanks Bobblehead. Also could you shed some light on the quick 2nd owner and then to the dealer? When dealers purchase cars from other dealers or Lexus Auction do they have to report on the carfax?

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31754 posts
18685 upvotes
Toronto
Seems to be the car was a 39 month lease term, perhaps the new owner (2nd) picked it up at either wholesale auction or bought out from Lexus / Toyota Canada.

It has been at dealer since that time ... likely asking price is high and no takers. The ES is a volume mover, if it’s not priced right, then it will not be moved quickly....all up to the dealer’s selling strategy
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2017
222 posts
237 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Seems to be the car was a 39 month lease term, perhaps the new owner (2nd) picked it up at either wholesale auction or bought out from Lexus / Toyota Canada.

It has been at dealer since that time ... likely asking price is high and no takers. The ES is a volume mover, if it’s not priced right, then it will not be moved quickly....all up to the dealer’s selling strategy
Thanks Booblehead.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31754 posts
18685 upvotes
Toronto
How much dealer is asking ?

$26k ? $27k ? + taxes
[OP]
Member
Aug 13, 2017
222 posts
237 upvotes
booblehead wrote: How much dealer is asking ?

$26k ? $27k ? + taxes
It is actually listed for 30K price. But im sure i can bring it down to 26K or i will walk to another dealer and try it there. Any suggestions where you range the vehicle?

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31754 posts
18685 upvotes
Toronto
$30k is way too high for 4 yrs old .

You should not pay that kind of price unless it has new tires, brakes and factory extended warranty. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2566 posts
1286 upvotes
Hometown
Dealdede wrote: Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some help on the carfax report. I was looking at the vehicle 2017 Lexus ES

The carfax shows that the vehicle changed hands a few months ago and now is sitting at the dealer. Do you think it could be some sort of lemon to change hands this fast?

Also note the dealer has 2 similar vehicles with recent 2nd owner history on the carfax and now on the lot for sale.

Appreciate all the help.
Good advice above to check the service part of the CarFax

Sadly all dealership names are not listed on Carfax often times it just says vehicle serviced.....

It is interesting though when some cars have been to 3 or 4 different manufacturer dealerships in a short time period under a month of so. That to me indicates the owner was NOT getting their issue resolved right away. I could excuse one dealership having a bad day and not fixing a problem possibly 2 but 3 or 4 is definitely a warning sign something was not good LOL.

I am also constantly amazed when a vehicle has MAJOR warning signs on a CarFax that something was wrong and it sells quickly often at the dealers price fixed market price, which is often much higher over what vehicles are going for according to lots of other sources....

Top