None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto

Car got scratched by Krown shop

Took my car to a Krown shop to get my annual rust proofing done.

I noticed a huge scratch on my trunk when I got home... this is only half of it, it continues on the right, but this side is the deepest:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tGv4YEpl.jpg[/IMG]

I should've checked the car at the shop, seeing as how another location scratched my rim last year when they insisted on giving me a free wheel cleaning special.

I know some of you might say that it could've happened elsewhere but I know it didn't. Right before they took my car in, I popped my trunk to put something in it and the scratch definitely wasn't there, I would've noticed it. I'm very careful with my car, besides from one small ding on my door, I have no other dings/scratches.

Anyway, I called the shop and explained what happened, asked if they have cameras in the shop and the man on the phone said they do. But then said I'd get charged $500 for them to check the cameras... and if they find that they damaged my car then I won't have to pay it. But if they don't find anything then I'll have to pay $500. I know it happened in their shop because the scratch is conveniently placed on top one of one of the holes/plugs on the trunk. I would gladly agree to that BUT they won't allow me to review the footage with them... they could easily say their cameras didn't catch anything and I won't know if it's true or not.

The man was also going on about how he'd have someone from the Government investigate and that's why it would cost $500 to review camera footage. This doesn't make any sense to me.. lol. I figured they weren't going to make this easy, I'm thinking of just getting it fixed out of my own pocket. A part of the scratch is extremely deep and I'm pretty sure I see metal when I look closely... don't want it to start rusting. So frustrating :(
107 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Talk to the shop ASAP, tell them you're going to call police :D
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12861 posts
1962 upvotes
Toronto
$500 to check the camera footage is baloney.
george__ wrote: Talk to the shop ASAP, tell them you're going to call police :D
Why the police?
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32078 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
You can say if it proves your shop did the damage, then the shop should pay me $500 (travel & inconvenience cost) + the repair cost for coming in and having to dispute this non sense.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3369 posts
949 upvotes
Ancaster
$500 to review the cameras because they have someone from the government review the footage? Wow! What a load.

If this shop is as shady as they sound, you're best off not going back there. Post a review of your experience with them on the internet (with the part about $500 so the government can review the camera footage) & you'll save a lot of other potential customers from getting hosed by these guys the way you were.

And tell your fellow RFDers who the Krown dealer is so we can all avoid them as well.

In regards to the scratch....Have a pro detailer take a look at the scratch to see if they can take care of it for you or at least minimize it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38211 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ask them to cover half the cost to buff it out.
If you are a repeat customer, ask them to cover half the cost as a "goodwill" gesture.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: You can say if it proves your shop did the damage, then the shop should pay me $500 (travel & inconvenience cost) + the repair cost for coming in and having to dispute this non sense.
Yea... I doubt they would agree to that lol
Feb 4, 2015
207 posts
99 upvotes
York, ON
What a tidy little scam!

Damage car, charge $500 to review car damage
Conclude no damage caused, case closed, SOL
??????????
Profit

I'm not one to scream "name and shame", but due to the brass balls on the Krown guy here I'm gonna make an exception.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2521 posts
1792 upvotes
GTA
Which Krown is this? Need to know so I can avoid it like the plague.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
nielboy wrote: $500 to review the cameras because they have someone from the government review the footage? Wow! What a load.

If this shop is as shady as they sound, you're best off not going back there. Post a review of your experience with them on the internet (with the part about $500 so the government can review the camera footage) & you'll save a lot of other potential customers from getting hosed by these guys the way you were.

And tell your fellow RFDers who the Krown dealer is so we can all avoid them as well.

In regards to the scratch....Have a pro detailer take a look at the scratch to see if they can take care of it for you or at least minimize it.
This is Krown Lakeshore. Which is so disappointing because I've heard/read so many great reviews.
Aug 5, 2012
690 posts
550 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Paying $500 is crap. Search for a cheaper paint job. Have revenge on them by telling us all RFDers the name of the shop so that we can avoid the shop in the future.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1331 posts
648 upvotes
Scarborough
easy to buff the scratch out with a scratch removing wax
-
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
STCman wrote: easy to buff the scratch out with a scratch removing wax
Do you know any professionals who know how to do this? I don't mind paying, I just want it done properly.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Jenuine wrote: Do you know any professionals who know how to do this? I don't mind paying, I just want it done properly.
If it's finger nail deep buffing won't work .....
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19320 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
Akizuki wrote: Which Krown is this? Need to know so I can avoid it like the plague.
This.

Thank God I didn't deal with Krown. I would've preferred if they just denied instead of this $500 fee nonsense. BS.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1331 posts
648 upvotes
Scarborough
im pretty confident you can do it yourself. It doesnt look too deep. I buffed out some deeper scratches on my car this weekend.. I bought this product used in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ZZJMa540E

Worked amazing.
-
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
RaySkunk wrote: Have you contacted Krown corporate?

https://www.krown.com/contact-us/

Clearly the $500 guy is on another planet, so no point talking with him about it.
Yea, I called them but the guy that deals with customer service issues isn't in so I left a message.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: If it's finger nail deep buffing won't work .....
It's definitely finger nail deep :(