Automotive

Car insurance for a car not being driven. New driver.

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 12:13 pm
[OP]
May 10, 2019
5 posts

Car insurance for a car not being driven. New driver.

cross-posting from reddit...

My step mother inherited her father's car and is gifting me hers.
The problem is, I only have my G1, and won't be able to get my G2 until November.

The plan is to store the car in my mother's garage with no one driving it until I get my G2. At that point I will be allowed to apply for insurance.

If the car is being stored inside the house, do I need to get theft and fire coverage, or will house insurance cover that? I know that I can't have insurance to drive the car without a G2, but can I get theft and fire insurance on its own with just a G1?

The back-up plan is for my mother to take it under her full insurance as a second car (as the primary), but then remove everything from the plan but theft and fire. I would like to avoid this if possible though. Once I get my G2, I would apply for my own insurance as the primary.

I live in Ottawa, and the car is a 2010 Honda civic LX-S. I am 23 years old.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4025 posts
4157 upvotes
GTA
What did your mother's home insurance provider say?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Home insurance doesn't cover road legal vehicles. The current owner of the car, could they not just keep coverage on the vehicle until you have your G2, and at that point do the transfer, get your own policy, etc? Worse case scenario if the vehicle is parked inside a locked garage, the odds of a theft or fire are quite small, I would probably just go without if it was me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35250 posts
21227 upvotes
Center of Universe
Fire and theft is cheap, in which I pay $81 for each stored vehicle.
Also, adding the vehicle to your mom's policy will qualify her for multi-vehicle discount.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11462 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
Insure it under your step mon's name, it is her new car anyway and assuming she has her full G License.
Insurance it for only theft, fire. No collision.

I'm surprise that your broker or your insurance agent didn't tell you that or you just prefer a RFD answer.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8160 upvotes
Edmonton
Keep in mind that you can only transfer the vehicle once per 12 months (as an exempt vehicle).

Personally, I’d probably garage it if you have room and leave it uninsured. If it was outside, I’d put on the fire and theft, preferably under your step mother’s name (so you don’t have transfer it.

Or talk to your mother’s broker, as someone suggested.

C
[OP]
May 10, 2019
5 posts
MP3_SKY wrote: Insure it under your step mon's name, it is her new car anyway and assuming she has her full G License.
Insurance it for only theft, fire. No collision.

I'm surprise that your broker or your insurance agent didn't tell you that or you just prefer a RFD answer.
My step mother would absolutely never insure it under her name. Maybe when the sun freezes over. My mother on the other hand would totally help me out by doing just that.

I don't have a broker or insurance agent. I came here first to gain some understanding on the topic, do some research, and once the stores open on Monday morning I have a bunch of phone calls to make.

I think, ideally, my mother would add it to her existing plan for comprehensive-only coverage, and I would pay her the difference in price until I can get my own insurance.
[OP]
May 10, 2019
5 posts
fusion2k2k wrote: Home insurance doesn't cover road legal vehicles. The current owner of the car, could they not just keep coverage on the vehicle until you have your G2, and at that point do the transfer, get your own policy, etc? Worse case scenario if the vehicle is parked inside a locked garage, the odds of a theft or fire are quite small, I would probably just go without if it was me.
Darn ... okay, that is good to know though, thank you. And no, my step mother's coverage is due for renewal in about a month and she has made it very clear that there will be no coverage on it by June 8th. Yes, the plan is to store it inside a locked garage, but as a person with extremely shitty luck, that just seems like an invitation for something to go wrong. I don't mind paying the theft and fire coverage because it doesn't really cost too-too much.
[OP]
May 10, 2019
5 posts
CNeufeld wrote: Keep in mind that you can only transfer the vehicle once per 12 months (as an exempt vehicle).

Personally, I’d probably garage it if you have room and leave it uninsured. If it was outside, I’d put on the fire and theft, preferably under your step mother’s name (so you don’t have transfer it.

Or talk to your mother’s broker, as someone suggested.

C
Do you mean transfer the ownership or the insurance? If you meant the insurance, then that would mean that if I put it under my mother's insurance, then I would not be able to transfer it to my own for a whole year ... ouch. In that case I would have her place it under comprehensive only until November, then switch to full insurance with myself as the primary (still on her plan??) and I would just pay her the difference in her insurance costs.

It will be stored inside, and my step mother won't want anything to do with it once it's in my hands, but at least I have a back up plan.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8160 upvotes
Edmonton
petitepirouette wrote: Do you mean transfer the ownership or the insurance? If you meant the insurance, then that would mean that if I put it under my mother's insurance, then I would not be able to transfer it to my own for a whole year ... ouch. In that case I would have her place it under comprehensive only until November, then switch to full insurance with myself as the primary (still on her plan??) and I would just pay her the difference in her insurance costs.

It will be stored inside, and my step mother won't want anything to do with it once it's in my hands, but at least I have a back up plan.
I'm talking about transferring the ownership. Ownership and insurance don't necessarily go hand-in-hand, but it's going to get messy going around between 3 people.

My advice is still to talk to your mother's insurance broker and go from there. Get actual answers for the actual situation.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
if you only have comprehensive coverage on it, there is no MVD to be applied. MVD is applied to the liab, dcpd & collision portion of the coverages when the coverages are common on each veh
vkizzle wrote: Fire and theft is cheap, in which I pay $81 for each stored vehicle.
Also, adding the vehicle to your mom's policy will qualify her for multi-vehicle discount.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
the ownership will have to be in your moms name to add to her policy
petitepirouette wrote: My step mother would absolutely never insure it under her name. Maybe when the sun freezes over. My mother on the other hand would totally help me out by doing just that.

I don't have a broker or insurance agent. I came here first to gain some understanding on the topic, do some research, and once the stores open on Monday morning I have a bunch of phone calls to make.

I think, ideally, my mother would add it to her existing plan for comprehensive-only coverage, and I would pay her the difference in price until I can get my own insurance.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8160 upvotes
Edmonton
COSMIC5 wrote: the ownership will have to be in your moms name to add to her policy
So whoever owns the vehicle needs to get the insurance, but they can add anyone’s name to the policy?

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
correct, and they can add a driver to the policy, yes.
CNeufeld wrote: So whoever owns the vehicle needs to get the insurance, but they can add anyone’s name to the policy?

C
[OP]
May 10, 2019
5 posts
I called an insurance company (BelAir) today, and they said that in my situation I would be allowed to get limited insurance under a G1 licence.
I would have to get comprehensive and liability together though and it would cost me about $78 a month.
In November I could then switch to full coverage for about $320 a month (subject to change at that time).

As you, COSMIC5, stated I would need to have the car in my name in order for the insurance to also be in my name.
I asked if it made sense to put the car in my mothers name and have her add it to her policy, and was told that she would probably have to pay a comparable amount and at least in my name I could start racking in experience.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
when you have a G1 lic you CAN get insurance on your vehicle; however, you need to name a G2 or G driver on the policy.
there is no premium charged for G1 drivers
petitepirouette wrote: I called an insurance company (BelAir) today, and they said that in my situation I would be allowed to get limited insurance under a G1 licence.
I would have to get comprehensive and liability together though and it would cost me about $78 a month.
In November I could then switch to full coverage for about $320 a month (subject to change at that time).

As you, COSMIC5, stated I would need to have the car in my name in order for the insurance to also be in my name.
I asked if it made sense to put the car in my mothers name and have her add it to her policy, and was told that she would probably have to pay a comparable amount and at least in my name I could start racking in experience.