Automotive

Car Insurance for Child who just got G2

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 10:33 am
[OP]
Member
Nov 9, 2006
351 posts
53 upvotes

Car Insurance for Child who just got G2

So my Daughter just passed her drivers test and now has her G2. 1 step away from full fledged G license.
She will rarely be driving either of my 2 cars. Maybe twice per week for less than 50 KMs/Week
Do I need to put her on my Car Insurance as an occasional driver?
36 replies
Jr. Member
Jun 4, 2020
196 posts
157 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Yes.

Be glad she's a daughter not a son.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15266 posts
12670 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If she’s in the same household. Yes.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27588 posts
7943 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Yes.

Be glad she's a daughter not a son.
Not really:


Young ppl do stupid shit, esp. when it comes to driving. It also often turns out badly, largely because driver training, testing, and licensing is so pathetic in places like Can, US.
Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2019
257 posts
187 upvotes
Yes, you should. I think it also benefits her in the future with insurance as well but I can't exactly remember.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
9030 posts
2890 upvotes
ronatola wrote: So my Daughter just passed her drivers test and now has her G2. 1 step away from full fledged G license.
She will rarely be driving either of my 2 cars. Maybe twice per week for less than 50 KMs/Week
Do I need to put her on my Car Insurance as an occasional driver?
Yes
Discomfort is your friend
Jr. Member
Jun 4, 2020
196 posts
157 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Not really:


Young ppl do stupid shit, esp. when it comes to driving. It also often turns out badly, largely because driver training, testing, and licensing is so pathetic in places like Can, US.
My 24 yo coworker destroyed a 50k suv in an accident she was at fault for. She pays less then I did at 19 years old for a $2500 shitbox woth liability. Be glad she doesn't have a penis.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2011
893 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Like an above poster mentioned it will greatly benefit her in the future when she eventually gets her own insurance. One really important thing is keeping records for her proof that she was insured so in the future when she goes solo it won't be like it's her first time being insured and gets charged the insane first time driver or whatever rate
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5759 posts
2885 upvotes
Mississauga
KevinM56081 wrote: Yes.

Be glad she's a daughter not a son.
Indeed. My son got his G2 in September and the cost to add him to just one of our vehicles as an occasional driver was breathtaking.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9275 posts
1401 upvotes
Yes. For me it will not be free. Kid gotta pay out of pocket for their portion.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27588 posts
7943 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: My 24 yo coworker destroyed a 50k suv in an accident she was at fault for. She pays less then I did at 19 years old for a $2500 shitbox woth liability. Be glad she doesn't have a penis.
Ah yes on insurance cost that's a good point perhaps. In term of her possibly doing something stupid and destroying a car or hurting herself...you never know. Well I mean if it's your kid you probably should have a good idea of their propensity for doing stupid shit (or not); but, a lot of times parents are also "shocked their son/daughter would do something like this" so yeah.
Jr. Member
Jul 21, 2013
184 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
VanillaDonut wrote: Yes, you should. I think it also benefits her in the future with insurance as well but I can't exactly remember.
As someone who didn’t get the benefit of this , I can attest to the thousands yearly you’re saving your daughter by doing this.
Newbie
Oct 24, 2020
1 posts
im 19yo male in kitchener on paying $293/mo for a 2011 ford ranger :/ g2 btw

Top