• Mar 14th, 2024 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
your out of province driving history should have transferred to Ontario when you moved here with proof of out of province lic. If you pull your drivers abstract, does the date first lic'd equate to the time here in ontario and AB?
dr_torch wrote: This was my thought too. I went online and got a quote. The problem is when I first got licensed it was in Manitoba and CAA asked me for the last 20 years of driving history.

So I got on the phone with Manitoba Public Insurance and since I have been in Ontario for 11 years now they have no history for me any more. The maximum they keep is 10 years.

So since CAA cannot see any of my diving history previous to 11 years ago the quote went up quite a bit. So far I have Aviva (who I am with now) quoting me $550 without collision and comprehensive. That is not bad but CAA would have come in around $400 if they could see all my driving history.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Sep 12, 2008
372 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: My insurer was approved for 5% (based on that list) but my renewal is +30%. Go figure. No logic anymore. Pouting Face

1965 -->> 2571

No claims
No tickets
No accidents
No nothing

I called my broker to ask the reason(s). CSR cannot pinpoint and just say: general increase + my car grouping repair cost rate is much higher due to more electronics and sensors + car being in 2nd yr new with depreication waiver coverage would mean higher premium to cover the insurer's risk in case of my car is written off and needs to be replaced + residence location.
This ^^ exactly happen to me and my dad policy...a straightforward 30% with no tickets or claims or change of vehicle...

I called and told the CSR...you guys are the bigger scammer than your clients....she had no answer to reply back...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
on the defence of the CSR, she has no control over rate approvals
I'm seeing large increases across the board with alot of companies.. this is crazy
rahulpatel1987 wrote: This ^^ exactly happen to me and my dad policy...a straightforward 30% with no tickets or claims or change of vehicle...

I called and told the CSR...you guys are the bigger scammer than your clients....she had no answer to reply back...
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2302 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
Geez.... Mine is up 25% for this year's renewal.... no at-fault accidents, tickets, etc.
May 18, 2010
23 posts
10 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Yup, overall it almost netted out, as my home insurance premium dropped.
Lucky you that you're able to net out the change between auto and home insurance. My auto insurance has gone up 27.4% over the last 3 years and home insurance down by about $120 in last 3 years. They are both with the Cooperators. We have no claims, accidents or tickets in the last 20 years.

This also reminds me of an email received on Mar 27, 2020 from the Co-operators. The Co-operators Group Auto and Home Insurance arm of their business is moving from COSECO Insurance Company to Co‑operators General Insurance Company effective April/20. I haven't called them yet to see if they will reassess my renewal offer (due in May/20) under Co-op General Insurance Co guidelines instead of COSECO. Makes no sense to get renewal offer from a company that they no longer do business with.
Mar 13, 2014
78 posts
20 upvotes
Windsor
Mine went up like a crazy.
Was $2200(2015 sienna , 2019 Corolla. Southern Ontario) renewal is $3800. No accident,no claims,no tickets since 2009.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
any reason? just a general rate increase?? ouch
1818588 wrote: Mine went up like a crazy.
Was $2200(2015 sienna , 2019 Corolla. Southern Ontario) renewal is $3800. No accident,no claims,no tickets since 2009.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
My renewal went up drastically (did not calculated the percentage) from $2050 to $3760 with economical insurance.
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

2016 Nissan Rouge (Full) with Depreciation waiver around $400
2002 Honda Accord (liability only)
16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

I am really frustated...just called Desjardian and waiting for the quote.

Is there any online portal which compares the quotes from all the available insurance companies as calling individually to each company is really time consuming
after reading few pages of this thread, will give it a try with Bell Air direct as well..

Any other suggestions or recommendations are really appreciated as my renewal date is this weekend
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes

I watch Louis often and this video rather speaks well about the insurance business in general. While his beef is with his business insurance, much of the info may be applied to our car insurance model.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1373 posts
913 upvotes
mississauga, Ontario
mkannuri wrote: My renewal went up drastically (did not calculated the percentage) from $2050 to $3760 with economical insurance.
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

Is there any online portal which compares the quotes from all the available insurance companies as calling individually to each company is really time consuming
after reading few pages of this thread, will give it a try with Bell Air direct as well..

Any other suggestions or recommendations are really appreciated as my renewal date is this weekend
Same company , same in Mississauga,mine increases from 25**.** to 32**.** , crazy ! Was told all Missisauga and Brampton card owners pay much more than last year.
I will call Personal for quote.
I quoted @lowestrates.ca and PC insurance gave me the rate is the lowest 30**.**
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mkannuri wrote: My renewal went up drastically (did not calculated the percentage) from $2050 to $3760 with economical insurance.
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

That roughly looks like an 80% increase. Price of living in Peel.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

WOW!

These are some of the portals. Unfortunately, their quotes vs. the real quote seem to be growing disproportionately. A few years ago, the quote you would have received was very close to the one from the insurance company. Lately, I have personally seen these numbers vary by several hundred dollars per single coverage.

https://www.ratehub.ca/insurance/best-c ... ance-quote

https://rates.ca/insurance-quotes/auto/toronto

https://www.insurancehotline.com/car-insurance-quotes/

https://www.lowestrates.ca/insurance/auto/toronto

https://www.kanetix.ca/car-insurance-quotes
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2302 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

Wow, that is brutal. Hope you find a better quote elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Mississauga (GTA-L5R)

16yrs(canada)+7yrs(USA)
No Tickets
No accidents,
No claims.

Try CAA insurance.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Today received quotes from Desjardian and BellAir Direct and both of them are more than my current economical.

As suggested by some one, will give it a call to CAA tomorrow
If thats not going to reduce, then thinking of changing the address to my investment condo in kitchener atleast for one vehicle.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mkannuri wrote: Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Today received quotes from Desjardian and BellAir Direct and both of them are more than my current economical.

As suggested by some one, will give it a call to CAA tomorrow
If thats not going to reduce, then thinking of changing the address to my investment condo in kitchener atleast for one vehicle.
You can also get online quote from CAA
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
georvu wrote: You can also get online quote from CAA
tried and got the quote more than my current one :-)
I am renewing with my current economical with no choice as i tried the popular ones recommended (Desjardin, BellAirdirect, CAA) and i gave up
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mkannuri wrote: tried and got the quote more than my current one :-)
I am renewing with my current economical with no choice as i tried the popular ones recommended (Desjardin, BellAirdirect, CAA) and i gave up
We can empathize... vehicle insurances went up and house insurance even more!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Dec 12, 2010
19 posts
18 upvotes
TORONTO
I went from Economical $1100 increased to $1700 , cuz they found a stop sign ticket from almost 3 yrs ago. My broker had qoutes from their different companies from $1700 up to $2300.
Found a site that compares rates, that quoted $1225, and I ended up with actual of $1260.
I told the new broker about my ticket.
New coverage is with CAA Auto.
Even my old broker suggested that I try CAA as they are very competitive this year.
If anyone wants the contact info on my new agent, contact me. They are based out of Hamilton, On. I have no relationship or financial benefit from this.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
MJ890 wrote: I went from Economical $1100 increased to $1700 , cuz they found a stop sign ticket from almost 3 yrs ago. My broker had qoutes from their different companies from $1700 up to $2300.
Found a site that compares rates, that quoted $1225, and I ended up with actual of $1260.
I told the new broker about my ticket.
New coverage is with CAA Auto.
Even my old broker suggested that I try CAA as they are very competitive this year.
If anyone wants the contact info on my new agent, contact me. They are based out of Hamilton, On. I have no relationship or financial benefit from this.
Please share the contact info as i tried getting the online quote on CAA site and got $200/annum extra than economical and when i tried to call them to include home insurances and second car for multi vehicle discount, they CSR routed me to some broker called "Myinsurance..." who suggested some other companies but in the end nothing less than economical despite their insane increase.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)