Automotive

Car Insurance - Online quote vs over the phone difference?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2016 1:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1079 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto

Car Insurance - Online quote vs over the phone difference?

Im shopping around for car insurance and had a quick question.

I only compared PC and TD Meloche monnex so far, and with PC when I called in they gave me a certain quote.

TD I just ran a quote online and it looks like TD is cheaper.

I was just curious, when I call in to confirm is there any other last minute "checks" that could change the online quoted price?

Just wondering if its better to just do online quotes, or to call in and get quotes.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34543 posts
20589 upvotes
Center of Universe
The quote I got online was pretty much dead on, when I called in to finalize.
You either spend 30min-45min per call (including wait time) or a one-time online quite with results from several companies to compare.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35617 posts
9675 upvotes
Ottawa
A quote is just a quote regardless if online or on phone or even in person, it may not be the final contracted price. Once they do the abstract on you, thing can (and often do) change.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
once you call, the Broker can go over the data with you more in depth, perhaps there is something that was missed in the online quote they can add or remove etc.
Also, once you have confirmed you wish to go ahead with the policy, the Broker will pull an autoplus/mvr and quite often these reports show differently than the verbal or online communications that were given to them originally, which could reflect a different rate.
chillychin wrote: Im shopping around for car insurance and had a quick question.

I only compared PC and TD Meloche monnex so far, and with PC when I called in they gave me a certain quote.

I was just curious, when I call in to confirm is there any other last minute "checks" that could change the online quoted price?

Just wondering if its better to just do online quotes, or to call in and get quotes.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7340 posts
3494 upvotes
I've found that the price can be even lower once you call in, because of additional questions that they ask.

Also, if you've only shopped TD MM and PC, then you're nowhere near done shopping if you want a good price.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1057 posts
397 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
chillychin wrote: Im shopping around for car insurance and had a quick question.

Always call to get the quote regardless of if you go through a broker or a direct writer.

Also, find out when you call TD if they require you to go through the written application process which takes 3-6 weeks in order to activate a policy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
I've never understood how this can take so long... usually the app can be done same day or next...
guess they have a process to follow....
RobertSmalls008 wrote: Always call to get the quote regardless of if you go through a broker or a direct writer.

Also, find out when you call TD if they require you to go through the written application process which takes 3-6 weeks in order to activate a policy.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1057 posts
397 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
COSMIC5 wrote: I've never understood how this can take so long... usually the app can be done same day or next...
guess they have a process to follow....
They only do this for the clients they do not want (they want to charge them more but FSCO won't allow it) but legally can't decline them.

The hope is that making them jump through hoops to get a policy with them (or the client needs the policy within the week) will deter them to go to another insurer.

Seems shady to me, but it is legal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8759 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
no kidding! terrible way to do business..
RobertSmalls008 wrote: They only do this for the clients they do not want (they want to charge them more but FSCO won't allow it) but legally can't decline them.

The hope is that making them jump through hoops to get a policy with them (or the client needs the policy within the week) will deter them to go to another insurer.

Seems shady to me, but it is legal.