Automotive

Car insurance for people who drive under 5000 km?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 10:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1284 posts
405 upvotes

Car insurance for people who drive under 5000 km?

Not sure if this is a thing even but I want to lower my car insurance because my circumstances have changed.

I have gone from driving 20 000 Km a year to 3 000 km a year.

Unfortunately my insurance does not seem to appreciate this fact my driving has been greatly reduced and I actually got a slight increase.

Any suggestions. Am I approaching the insurance in the wrong way? Any suggestion on which companies I can try?

Thanks!

Edit: I already tried CAA but they didn't want to insure my car because it had a serious accident many years ago. The car is in perfect condition today.
Last edited by superbundance on Jan 31st, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37053 posts
23023 upvotes
Center of Universe
https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto

"CAA MyPace™.
CAA MyPace™ is a usage-based insurance payment program for people who drive fewer than 9,000 kilometres a year. It allows you to buy auto insurance for only the distance you need."
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3633 posts
828 upvotes
Scarborough
vkizzle wrote: https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto

"CAA MyPace™.
CAA MyPace™ is a usage-based insurance payment program for people who drive fewer than 9,000 kilometres a year. It allows you to buy auto insurance for only the distance you need."
Beat me to it lol.

I don't think there are many other companies that offer this. Got it for my pops who barely drives. Great quote too, significantly cheaper than others.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21395 upvotes
GTA

"CAA MyPace™.
Nice, my insurance would drop from $720/year with TD, to $430/year with CAA mypace, since I only drive 2500km/year. But you need to install a tracking device in your car and app on your phone. I'm really not into that.
I'd prefer if they just audited my mileage on the odometer each year.
https://www.caamypace.com/
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1284 posts
405 upvotes

"CAA MyPace™.
Thanks but they refused me because my car is a rebuild. Face With Head-bandage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7247 posts
1576 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I just looked at CAA for my car insurance - their rates are low ompared to my current insurer but they seem to ask questions that may allow them to wiggle out in actually paying if there is an accident.
I can hardly beliee I'm saying that about CAA, but....

For one, they want to know how many accidents I had in the last 25 years and their dates.
25 years? Are they serious? I'm pretty sure I might forget some minor issue that they could then use to deny coverage.
For test purposes, just to see what would happen, I added one minor accident 15 years ago into their on-line calculator - sure enough, a bump in premiums of well over 15%
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
krs wrote: I just looked at CAA for my car insurance - their rates are low ompared to my current insurer but they seem to ask questions that may allow them to wiggle out in actually paying if there is an accident.

For one, they want to know how many accidents I had in the last 25 years and their dates.
25 years?
Are they serious? I'm pretty sure I might forget some minor issue that they could then use to deny coverage.
For test purposes, just to see what would happen, I added one minor accident 15 years ago into their on-line calculator - sure enough, a bump in premiums of well over 15%
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy..have not heard of that one yet. The logic is, you are the same skill of a driver at 20yo as a 45 yo?

It reminded me of this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7173 posts
3634 upvotes
West GTEH!
krs wrote: I just looked at CAA for my car insurance - their rates are low ompared to my current insurer but they seem to ask questions that may allow them to wiggle out in actually paying if there is an accident.

25 years? Are they serious? I'm pretty sure I might forget some minor issue that they could then use to deny coverage.
Yes, that was a weird question, "last 25 years".
I too inquired with CAA Insurance about premiums and CAA had the best rates, for me. So I went with CAA Insurance and saved over $700/year for Auto and Home Insurance.

I was with my Former Insurance CO. for over 25 years but they just kept on increasing my Premiums every Year for no reason. Excellent Record with no claims. *shrugs*
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7247 posts
1576 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Webhead wrote: Yes, that was a weird question, "last 25 years".
I too inquired with CAA Insurance about premiums and CAA had the best rates, for me. So I went with CAA Insurance and saved over $700/year for Auto and Home Insurance.
Do you remember how far back CAA wanted accident and claim information?
I always thought 3 or maybe 5 years was reasonable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
25 years! holy cow... they only need the last 6 , 10 if they have an insurer who gives a preferred rating of 10star.

They can clearly look up your autoplus if they need more ...
Webhead wrote: Yes, that was a weird question, "last 25 years".

I was with my Former Insurance CO. for over 25 years but they just kept on increasing my Premiums every Year for no reason. Excellent Record with no claims. *shrugs*
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
I tried it for myself, quote was $100 more /year without even asking if I wanted to increase the SABS...
superbundance wrote: Thanks but they refused me because my car is a rebuild. Face With Head-bandage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7247 posts
1576 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
COSMIC5 wrote: 25 years! holy cow... they only need the last 6 , 10 if they have an insurer who gives a preferred rating of 10star.
Maybe CAA's on-line quote system is wonky because....
when I added one accident 15 years ago (for test purposes), the quoted rate increased by about 15% compared to no accidents.
So they obviously try to go a lot further back than even 10 years.

When I try to access my own driving record, the most I seem to be able to getin Ontario is the last 5 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
usually autoplus will show from the first time you were on a policy and will go back to 1988 or 1989 or so
krs wrote: Maybe CAA's on-line quote system is wonky because....
when I added one accident 15 years ago (for test purposes), the quoted rate increased by about 15% compared to no accidents.
So they obviously try to go a lot further back than even 10 years.

When I try to access my own driving record, the most I seem to be able to getin Ontario is the last 5 years.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2398 posts
1327 upvotes
Ontario
I went from Travellers to CAA last fall, ~$1800/yr to less then ~1k with same full coverage/deductibles and slightly better liability at 2million. CAA did ask about past 25yrs as well, plus you get 10% for being a member (which about covers the cost of the membership!)...
I really liked my old company (Travellers) and they treated me very well but going up to $1800/yr wasn't acceptable...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8230 posts
884 upvotes
Brampton
Wow 25 years? Is that even legal to go so far back to determine your insurance rate?

Will always maintain that insurance in Ontario needs to be regulated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7247 posts
1576 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
COSMIC5 wrote: usually autoplus will show from the first time you were on a policy and will go back to 1988 or 1989 or so
Do you know if I can get my own report on Autoplus?
If I look at their website it looks as if reports are only accessible to insurance companies.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15172 posts
12553 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote: Nice, my insurance would drop from $720/year with TD, to $430/year with CAA mypace, since I only drive 2500km/year. But you need to install a tracking device in your car and app on your phone. I'm really not into that.
I'd prefer if they just audited my mileage on the odometer each year.
https://www.caamypace.com/
Astonished Face So cheap!
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
on the auto application in Ontario, it only asks for the past 6 years. As a broker, we can see on the autoplus if there are any other losses back to 1988/89, so , if the company you're insured with offers a higher star rating, or preferred rating, you may qualify for a 9 or 10 star driver if no losses in 9 or 10 + years
Badman wrote: Wow 25 years? Is that even legal to go so far back to determine your insurance rate?

Will always maintain that insurance in Ontario needs to be regulated.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)