Automotive

Car insurance for people who drive under 5000 km?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 10:22 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
I moved to CAA from RBC/Aviva. Car insurance was approx $1100 less for 2 cars with the same level of coverage. I have to install the CAA Connect in my cars and as of today would probably qualify for a bigger discount based on our driving. Home insurance was $700 less for better coverage. No brainer to switch. They did ask for data for a long ways back including when we were all first licensed which is a pain because who can remember 20+ years back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
COSMIC5 wrote: you sure can; however, its not as detailed as the one I get as a Broker...
Can you give some indication what kind of detail you would see as a broker that the person whose record it shows is not privy to?
What I'm oncerned about is that there may be information that is presented to you (and not the person involved) that is not correct.

I have had that type of issue with my credit reports - it still showed a mortgage as open that had been paid off many years ago and it also showed credit cards active that had not only been losed a while back but where the company itself is not even in existence any more.
These companies, like Equifax and TU,and I assume Autoplus just report what is being fed to them without any due diligence.

On the auto insurance end, I remember an accident many years ago in Montreal where some lady barrelling down St,. Jacques lost control of her var momentarily and clipped the front of mine when she cut in front of me.
My insurance company decided the responsibility was 50/50.
I objected to that and after several weeks or maybe months back and forth, they finally agreed that the other driver was 100% responsible.
That's the type of thing where I can see the Autoplus information being wrong if they were never informed of the final outcome of that incident and where it could negatively affect my rate if insurance companies like CAA actually do check back 25 years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
COSMIC5 wrote: on the auto application in Ontario, it only asks for the past 6 years.
Sorry, what "auto application in Ontario"?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
insurance application
krs wrote: Sorry, what "auto application in Ontario"?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
along with your information, it will show other policies you may have been listed on with those other drivers. It could show an accident on your policy where you may not have been the driver for example, but the owner of the vehicle. It would show the other drivers personal information. Due to privacy laws, that is not disclosed on a consumer autoplus
krs wrote: Can you give some indication what kind of detail you would see as a broker that the person whose record it shows is not privy to?
What I'm oncerned about is that there may be information that is presented to you (and not the person involved) that is not correct.

I have had that type of issue with my credit reports - it still showed a mortgage as open that had been paid off many years ago and it also showed credit cards active that had not only been losed a while back but where the company itself is not even in existence any more.
These companies, like Equifax and TU,and I assume Autoplus just report what is being fed to them without any due diligence.

On the auto insurance end, I remember an accident many years ago in Montreal where some lady barrelling down St,. Jacques lost control of her var momentarily and clipped the front of mine when she cut in front of me.
My insurance company decided the responsibility was 50/50.
I objected to that and after several weeks or maybe months back and forth, they finally agreed that the other driver was 100% responsible.
That's the type of thing where I can see the Autoplus information being wrong if they were never informed of the final outcome of that incident and where it could negatively affect my rate if insurance companies like CAA actually do check back 25 years.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2550 posts
573 upvotes
If this is a second car, you can do what I did....sell it.

I now rent a car whenever I need one. Weekends are cheap. You can rent every weekend and its still cheaper than owning.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7086 upvotes
West GTEH!
krs wrote: Do you remember how far back CAA wanted accident and claim information?
I always thought 3 or maybe 5 years was reasonable.
COSMIC5 wrote: 25 years! holy cow... they only need the last 6 , 10 if they have an insurer who gives a preferred rating of 10star.

They can clearly look up your autoplus if they need more ...
IcarusLSC wrote: I went from Travellers to CAA last fall, ~$1800/yr to less then ~1k with same full coverage/deductibles and slightly better liability at 2million. CAA did ask about past 25yrs as well, plus you get 10% for being a member (which about covers the cost of the membership!)...
I really liked my old company (Travellers) and they treated me very well but going up to $1800/yr wasn't acceptable...
Badman wrote: Wow 25 years? Is that even legal to go so far back to determine your insurance rate?

Will always maintain that insurance in Ontario needs to be regulated.
As I mentioned it was a weird question, 25 years ago question.
Now looking at my Insurance papers, It was for additional Discount. So I guess CAA asks this 25 year question and if you qualify there's additional discount for your premiums. For me it's an additional 10% discount.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Webhead wrote: As I mentioned it was a weird question, 25 years ago question.
Now looking at my Insurance papers, It was for additional Discount. So I guess CAA asks this 25 year question and if you qualify there's additional discount for your premiums. For me it's an additional 10% discount.
Interesting!
The initial set of questions for the CAA on-line quote didn't even ask about accident history which I found rather strange.
And then when I went back and clicked on a link which wasn't even there before the 25-year question about accidents came up.
And then when I selected one accident 15 years ago the rate went up by about 15%.
Sounds as if they give you a low-ball quote on line and then when you call in to get it finalized, the agent comes up with all these additional questions and the price goes up.
Not what I expected from CAA
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
krs wrote: Interesting!
The initial set of questions for the CAA on-line quote didn't even ask about accident history which I found rather strange.
And then when I went back and clicked on a link which wasn't even there before the 25-year question about accidents came up.
And then when I selected one accident 15 years ago the rate went up by about 15%.
Sounds as if they give you a low-ball quote on line and then when you call in to get it finalized, the agent comes up with all these additional questions and the price goes up.
Not what I expected from CAA
My quote was the same as what I got online. Only change I made was I increased the liability to two million from one on the phone, and it cost a hair less then $100 more for the year.
Feb 1, 2019
323 posts
133 upvotes
Alberta
krs wrote: I just looked at CAA for my car insurance - their rates are low ompared to my current insurer but they seem to ask questions that may allow them to wiggle out in actually paying if there is an accident.
I can hardly beliee I'm saying that about CAA, but....

For one, they want to know how many accidents I had in the last 25 years and their dates.
25 years? Are they serious? I'm pretty sure I might forget some minor issue that they could then use to deny coverage.
For test purposes, just to see what would happen, I added one minor accident 15 years ago into their on-line calculator - sure enough, a bump in premiums of well over 15%
Astonished FaceAstonished Face Me too, this happened to me. I was @ CAA, the Insurance advisor was too busy catching up w/friends from other dept, I stood waiting for 15 min listening to 3 of them chat...finally 2 ladies said "Gotta Go Break is over, told me it's easier to get online quote. It took me 1 hr to filled out "Driving history - which mo + yr drivers license...Specific dates d-m-y for At-Fault or Not-At Fault Accident from very 1st Insurance Cov!!! That was more than 25 yrs ago...I thought I could get away w/year but the stupid form highlights "Red" for m+d. After 1 hr, the price cost more than current TD plan.

I don't have a problem w/tracking device but the app on phone that's a Privacy Issue!! Before COVID I barely drive due to restricted bed illness since pandemic my car spends more time parking than driving. TD coverage keeps increasing+++ Confused Face Their explanation is: area/region reside in + car accidents w/same car make/model in my region + re-current claims from specific age group 18-24 + cost for Imported parts = increased premiums affecting other drivers w/same car!!! I've noticed area within 10 km same snobby young drivers. So much savings for members (not)

I've checked All State & few other companies w/similar rates, no point in switching. TD's suggestion " sell current car - buy newer non-imported car (no Trucks) for lower premiums" $1430/yr for 2500km excludes glass coverage >> Perils add $350. Accident -free, no tickets/demerits for 10 yrs

Ontario drivers gets $150+ savings if vehicle has Winter Tires** There's been lots of accidents by license suspended w/no insurance coverage drivers, pot-smoking cell talking Yield @ Merge drive through Stop signs headlights off night drivers, etc does this happen in Ontario??
Oct 25, 2017
368 posts
106 upvotes
engineered wrote: Nice, my insurance would drop from $720/year with TD, to $430/year with CAA mypace, since I only drive 2500km/year. But you need to install a tracking device in your car and app on your phone. I'm really not into that.
I'd prefer if they just audited my mileage on the odometer each year.
https://www.caamypace.com/
How did you get 720/year with TD?! Are there any inside secrets? I have 4 years experience as a driver with no accidents, tickets, or even claims and tbh I would never really submit a claim, I would just pay it myself so I only want insurance just to avoid tickets for not having insurance lol , so I wouldn't mind the BARE minimum requirements for insurance (etc. liability only, low coverage) --- given these circumstances, what's the cheapest range (roughly) you see me getting?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
paulwiser wrote: How did you get 720/year with TD?! Are there any inside secrets? I have 4 years experience as a driver with no accidents, tickets, or even claims and tbh I would never really submit a claim, I would just pay it myself so I only want insurance just to avoid tickets for not having insurance lol , so I wouldn't mind the BARE minimum requirements for insurance (etc. liability only, low coverage) --- given these circumstances, what's the cheapest range (roughly) you see me getting?
Well, mine's up to over $900 now. Looks like I'll be switching to CAA for about $700, or $340 if I decide to let them track my mileage.
I only drive under 3000 km/year and I'm married at 40.
If you want to lower your rate, raise your deductibles and remove glass coverage. Or switch to CAA.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Well, mine's up to over $900 now. Looks like I'll be switching to CAA for about $700, or $340 if I decide to let them track my mileage.
If you want to lower your rate, raise your deductibles and remove glass coverage. Or switch to CAA.
Let them track it. Like you said before on other thread, they probably have all the data like speed, braking, gforce meter but can't use that to incriminate you for CAA mypace unlike the other CAA connect where all that data maters. MyPace only shows from and to, distance and time driven. Other one shows more like speed.

Plus I been using MyPace for a week now and it based on trip meter like in taxi and damn thing puts alert each time it's unplugged even if device is on sleep mode while car is off. Good addition to alarm to know where your cars are though. Anyway, my previous insurance just sent me cancellation check and I was surprised they only charge like 5% penalty. Saved few grand switching since everyone's studying/working at home.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
peteryorkuca wrote: Let them track it. Like you said before on other thread, they probably have all the data like speed, braking, gforce meter but can't use that to incriminate you for CAA mypace unlike the other CAA connect where all that data maters. MyPace only shows from and to, distance and time driven. Other one shows more like speed.

Plus I been using MyPace for a week now and it based on trip meter like in taxi and damn thing puts alert each time it's unplugged even if device is on sleep mode while car is off. Good addition to alarm to know where your cars are though. Anyway, my previous insurance just sent me cancellation check and I was surprised they only charge like 5% penalty. Saved few grand switching since everyone's studying/working at home.
I believe I posted that they say they can and will use that data against you, so it's not much different than CAA connect, just that they won't use how you drive to adjust your rates.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1997 posts
545 upvotes
Markham
I got on MyPace in April. It's dirty cheap.
Anyone know the exact date we need to put winter tires back on for MyPace customers in Ontario who opted for the winter tire discount?
[inappropriate signature]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
engineered wrote: Well, mine's up to over $900 now. Looks like I'll be switching to CAA for about $700, or $340 if I decide to let them track my mileage.
If it's bait and switch with CAA, though I heard they're good and not like that, will you be able to go back to TD and get that $900 premium?

I saved $4-5/month with TD lowering my usage on one vehicle from 8k to 1k, 8k to 6k on another and didn't change 8k usage on the third. It's a joke of an adjustment haha.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
engineered wrote: Nice, my insurance would drop from $720/year with TD
Wait, car insurance is that cheap in Oakville? Really? Heck even as cheap as $430..a year???. Heck I would own a third car if I had it that cheap :lol:

Anyway if mileage is the key factor decreasing the rate for this CAA thing, why do you need the surely battery-draining app? Why not just have you come into a CAA office yearly and they look at your mileage? Also what if you just leave your phone off while driving? Won't that just be a way to say you drove less? :lol:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: Wait, car insurance is that cheap in Oakville? Really? Heck even as cheap as $430..a year???. Heck I would own a third car if I had it that cheap :lol:

Anyway if mileage is the key factor decreasing the rate for this CAA thing, why do you need the surely battery-draining app? Why not just have you come into a CAA office yearly and they look at your mileage? Also what if you just leave your phone off while driving? Won't that just be a way to say you drove less? :lol:
Yea, is clearly not just about low mileage, is about collecting your data and selling it for profit, and using it against you in an accident.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yea, is clearly not just about low mileage, is about collecting your data and selling it for profit, and using it against you in an accident.
The thing I don't understand about the cellphone monitoring apps is...how do they work?

If they are using the phone's accelerometer(s) doesn't that mean it has to be ridgidly mounted in the vehicle to get even any semblance of accuracy? Because otherwise what if you just pick up your phone or drop it or it falls on the ground while driving? Or maybe just slides around on your seat or in your door pocket...or whatever. Those are going to be heavy acceleration/deceleration events no?

Using GPS would work but that will burn battery like no tomorrow for starters. Also presuming the app is running all the time, won't it also be running when your phone is just in your pocket, on your desk, etc.? Or is there some way it tells when you start driving or do you have to activate it manually each time?

Again this does not seem like any accuracy or good data could be gathered here. The ones that plug into your OBD, those would have solid data from the car at least, but I don't get this phone app nonsense.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: The thing I don't understand about the cellphone monitoring apps is...how do they work?

If they are using the phone's accelerometer(s) doesn't that mean it has to be ridgidly mounted in the vehicle to get even any semblance of accuracy? Because otherwise what if you just pick up your phone or drop it or it falls on the ground while driving? Or maybe just slides around on your seat or in your door pocket...or whatever. Those are going to be heavy acceleration/deceleration events no?

Using GPS would work but that will burn battery like no tomorrow for starters. Also presuming the app is running all the time, won't it also be running when your phone is just in your pocket, on your desk, etc.? Or is there some way it tells when you start driving or do you have to activate it manually each time?

Again this does not seem like any accuracy or good data could be gathered here. The ones that plug into your OBD, those would have solid data from the car at least, but I don't get this phone app nonsense.
Are there phone only plans? I thought they always worked with an obd2 adapter?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)