Car Insurance Renewal got charged a Policy Change Fee

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 1:09 pm
[OP]
Apr 16, 2011
715 posts
355 upvotes

Car Insurance Renewal got charged a Policy Change Fee

What the heck is this? My renewal came up which starts in November. I see on this months payment I was charged $62 extra + tax for a "policy change". I have not made any changes and they shouldn't have either if this is a simple renewal. Can anyone with more experience chime in on what this is and why I was charged it?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8757 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
did you have any form of covid relief applied to your premium before? If so, it could be the removal of this credit allowance prior to your renewal... what did your broker say it was?
jronald wrote: What the heck is this? My renewal came up which starts in November. I see on this months payment I was charged $62 extra + tax for a "policy change". I have not made any changes and they shouldn't have either if this is a simple renewal. Can anyone with more experience chime in on what this is and why I was charged it?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1343 posts
611 upvotes
Ontario
COSMIC5 wrote: did you have any form of covid relief applied to your premium before? If so, it could be the removal of this credit allowance prior to your renewal... what did your broker say it was?
They seriously give us 'covid relief' then charge us to change it again? What a scam...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13258 posts
7379 upvotes
Toronto
jronald wrote: What the heck is this? My renewal came up which starts in November. I see on this months payment I was charged $62 extra + tax for a "policy change". I have not made any changes and they shouldn't have either if this is a simple renewal. Can anyone with more experience chime in on what this is and why I was charged it?
Here's a thought.....

Maybe try calling your broker or insurer?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9639 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't know but if I saw this on my policy renewal, I would certainly call them and ask what was going on instead of asking on a generic forum. LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3229 posts
1843 upvotes
Edmonton
Was this a charge by the broker or insurance company? What company is it?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8757 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
no, they are just removing the discount which in fact was only reducing your annual & one way klm's to help customers at this crazy time. If your KLM's are still low, call them and have the Broker manually amend it for you.
IcarusLSC wrote: They seriously give us 'covid relief' then charge us to change it again? What a scam...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8757 posts
1379 upvotes
Ontario
thats what I asked... lol
Swerny wrote: Here's a thought.....

Maybe try calling your broker or insurer?
Dec 22, 2007
605 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
jr. we weren't able to raise your rates this year so we had no choice but to include a policy change fee to process your policy in the covid times. It is to provide yo a better value. Please do not call us as we now have an extra phone charge during covid to account for disinfecting the phone after each call to keep you safe.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13576 posts
8538 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
$62 policy change fee, sounds more like asking for the reimbursement money back from covid.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!