Automotive

Car and Insurance selection (new driver)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 10:13 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
226 posts
65 upvotes

Car and Insurance selection (new driver)

Hello,

New driver here (G2), over 30. I did a post a few weeks ago and received a lot of great advices on models of cars to chose from; at that time I was set on an SUV to bring the family around, but with Covid and the uncertainty to keep my job, it wouldn't be reasonable cost-wise.

So I sat down with the wife to revise our requirements for a car. We never drove before, so we might not have a "comprehensive" vision of the automotive world, technical details etc... we are reading to get educated.

This is my reasoning when it comes to choosing a car and an insurance. But please feel free to give advices if you have any.

1. Vehicle

Our criteria are:
- Buying Used
- Around 70,000 km
- Must have a rear/parking camera
- Must have a digital speedometer (we find it easier to read)
- Looking for a sedan type if possible
- Safe, reliable

After doing my homework, I concluded that a 2016 Honda Civic would be a perfect fit for us. It looks roomy, affordable, packed with safety technology for us beginners, reliable and easy to find used. But then I called my insurance company for a quote, which brings me to point 2.

2. Insurance

My insurance company is quoting me $416/month for a 2016 Honda Civic. While this could be the going rate for a G2 licensee with no previous driving experience, I find it too high so I am working on hammering this number down.

Questions
1. Are there any insurance companies, notorious for having good rates (even though the coverage might not be great)? I am calling around now for quotes but happy to hear recommendations.
2. I am not sure what criteria insurance companies use to make a vehicle cheaper/more expensive to insure. What other vehicles should I consider that will help bring my quotation down?
So far according to my insurer, the cheapest would be:
- Volkswagen Golf
- Mazda 6
- Mazda 3
- Honda Civic (2015) instead of 2016 -> quote would go down to $381/month

Thank you for reading!
3 replies
Jan 17, 2009
685 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Based on your criteria a lot of cars would fit the needle haha. Take a look at hatchbacks too, they're more practical than sedans, while also being easier to drive (shorter so easier to park). Reliability-wise the korean brands (hyundai, kia) have stepped up their games, its no longer just Japanese cars dominating reliability-wise.

For insurance, the honda civic is the typical "you wouldn't believe that this regular economy car costs more to insure than a corvette!". Try asking for quotes on a bunch of different stuff. But since you basically are a new driver (no history), your insurance will no doubt be higher. Get some quotes online that will give you a quotes from a bunch of different places to see how your current place would stack up.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2635 upvotes
Try Hyundai/Kia, they aren't targets for thieves as much as Honda's are.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12280 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
mattnew wrote:

2. Insurance

My insurance company is quoting me $416/month for a 2016 Honda Civic. While this could be the going rate for a G2 licensee with no previous driving experience, I find it too high so I am working on hammering this number down.

Your postal code plays a massive part in your quote. Not much you can do about that.

Have you tried a site that searches multiple insurance companies, like https://www.insurancehotline.com/ etc?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)