Automotive

Car Insurance Ticket!

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2021 4:34 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2021
2 posts

Car Insurance Ticket!

Hey! So i was moving a car yesterday that I had insured until mid last month, I was bringing it within range of my tow limit on CAA to put it into storage, while doing this I was pulled over and was honest with the officer that the car did not have insurance, at this point I was in range and had already called a tow truck. The officer booked me for driving without insurance, what should I do? I’m 24, my record is spotless, I’ve been on my own insurance since I was 17 and am still insured and have the car in question on my policy, however it is basically listed as parked, I’m fine with paying a fine, I understand why the fine is so high but I can’t afford to lose my license!
51 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
Well, that was dumb. Would have been easy to add temporary insurance.

Why would you still be driving if you already called the tow truck?
Where were you going to tow it, and why?

Your best bet is to hire a paralegal and hope for mercy from the judge. Do you have evidence to back up your claims?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
May 9, 2021
2 posts
This covid crap has left me unemployed, laid off, not enough hours etc. I had called the tow truck for the intersection i ended up getting pulled over at, i had a friend follow me on a sunday on back roads and his muffler apparently is what the cop was after, i was honest with the cop and i have the evidence to back myself up including the location i was taking the car to. I’ve since spoken to a lawyer who’s told me i should be fine on the charge so I’m not too too worried it just upsets me that he did that.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2731 posts
1734 upvotes
Yeah it's easy to add a one day insurance policy to your car. If you're convicted, which is all but certain, you likely won't be insurable for a while. That's an extremely costly mistake. As the above poster mentioned, show evidence of your story and ask for leniency.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1159 posts
542 upvotes
Jawz1996 wrote: This covid crap has left me unemployed, laid off, not enough hours etc. I had called the tow truck for the intersection i ended up getting pulled over at, i had a friend follow me on a sunday on back roads and his muffler apparently is what the cop was after, i was honest with the cop and i have the evidence to back myself up including the location i was taking the car to. I’ve since spoken to a lawyer who’s told me i should be fine on the charge so I’m not too too worried it just upsets me that he did that.
You either have or do not have insurance. Since you did not have insurance, you got a ticket. Its not like speeding where they can reduce the charge. I am sure there are other drivers who have 'parked' their car for insurance purposes and then take it for a spin to keep everything working while they do not have insurance. All you had to do was add temporary insurance or pay the few extra dollars that CAA would have charged for picking up outside the max kms. I had to have CAA do this for me and it cost me $20.
Jul 18, 2020
612 posts
945 upvotes
It is going to be an expensive lesson. There is nothing to fight like the above poser said, you either have or do not have insurance. If you live in the GTA, expect your insurance hike going to cost you 10K per year.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12656 posts
9257 upvotes
Edmonton
Jawz1996 wrote: This covid crap has left me unemployed, laid off, not enough hours etc. I had called the tow truck for the intersection i ended up getting pulled over at, i had a friend follow me on a sunday on back roads and his muffler apparently is what the cop was after, i was honest with the cop and i have the evidence to back myself up including the location i was taking the car to. I’ve since spoken to a lawyer who’s told me i should be fine on the charge so I’m not too too worried it just upsets me that he did that.
You're upset that who did what? That the cop gave you an expensive ticket?

You knew what you were doing was wrong. Next time, try posting BEFORE doing something like that and say "Hey, what's my risk here, and is this a good idea?", and people would have clued you in that what you were about to do can have major consequences. Now you've got legal fees on top of whatever fine you end up paying, and risk having majorly expensive insurance for the next however long.

None of this is the fault of the officer, though. There's only one person to point the finger of blame at in this case.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4601 posts
504 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I think OP was expecting some alternative options but sorry to say the fine could be $5000 first time but I doubt you lose your license if you shown you were insured until the previous month.Your rates could be thru the roof though since your 24 years old if you want to drive again.
Jul 18, 2020
612 posts
945 upvotes
LOL everyone who lost their job was qualified for cerb which is like $2000 a month for 6 months = $12000. So you blow all that money away instead of paying your insurance?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2423 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
You are guilty and you told the police you are. I am not sure how a lawyer thinks they can get you off, but I do know she will bill you either way and sleep just fine that night too.

Assuming there is nothing missing from your tale of woe. The best outcomes you possibly hope for are that come to mind are...

You got insurance reinstated within 10 minutes after the ticket and find a very sympathetic Crown who is in an insanely generous mood. Who sees you have a good heart and just amends the charge to an administrative mix-up type of deal.... Fine and lawyer fees will be the same but you might still be able to afford to drive for the next 6 yrs.. Odds one in many trillions chance, mainly because you confessed LOL.

Your lawyer can drag out your trial for YEARS so you can try a constitutional challenge that the whole thing violates your right to a speedy trial. Odds (even more impossible likely but miracles happen)

The officer does not show up for the trial... So hope he wins the lottery and does not need the overtime.

The judge feels your pain and decides against all legal precedence and custom, to magically absolve you of all guilt.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2059 posts
1488 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: You are guilty and you told the police you are. I am not sure how a lawyer thinks they can get you off, but I do know she will bill you either way and sleep just fine that night too.

Assuming there is nothing missing from your tale of woe. The best outcomes you possibly hope for are that come to mind are...

You got insurance reinstated within 10 minutes after the ticket and find a very sympathetic Crown who is in an insanely generous mood. Who sees you have a good heart and just amends the charge to an administrative mix-up type of deal.... Fine and lawyer fees will be the same but you might still be able to afford to drive for the next 6 yrs.. Odds one in many trillions chance, mainly because you confessed LOL.

Your lawyer can drag out your trial for YEARS so you can try a constitutional challenge that the whole thing violates your right to a speedy trial. Odds (even more impossible likely but miracles happen)

The officer does not show up for the trial... So hope he wins the lottery and does not need the overtime.

The judge feels your pain and decides against all legal precedence and custom, to magically absolve you of all guilt.
Yeah, I'm not sure what there is to fight if OP already admitted guilt. And saving a few buck on tow fees certainly wont be a good enough reason to buy leniency with the judge.

I dont even think it was possible for OP to reinstate in his case. I know with AllState you have to keep the change for a certain period - something that is def over a month.

If below is true, holy...and thats only the tip. Suspension, driving without insurance, 24...OPs going to be in for a bad time when he does need ins
Fines start at $5,000, but it doesn’t stop there. Ontario car insurance regulator, FSRAO, will also add a 25% surcharge to your fine. Your license is suspended for a minimum of 30 days, but you could face a driver’s license suspension for a year. Finally, your car may be impounded for 3 months. It’s not a criminal offence, and you don’t receive demerit points.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2602 upvotes
Edmonton
Jawz1996 wrote: Hey! So i was moving a car yesterday that I had insured until mid last month, I was bringing it within range of my tow limit on CAA to put it into storage, while doing this I was pulled over and was honest with the officer that the car did not have insurance, at this point I was in range and had already called a tow truck. The officer booked me for driving without insurance, what should I do? I’m 24, my record is spotless, I’ve been on my own insurance since I was 17 and am still insured and have the car in question on my policy, however it is basically listed as parked, I’m fine with paying a fine, I understand why the fine is so high but I can’t afford to lose my license!
You should be thankful that you didn’t injure someone or cause property damage. Yea, I know, you took the backroads but anything can happen and usually does when you least expect it.

An insurance company will not look favourably on a car that was supposed to be “parked” and then you drove it.

If you have no insurance, you should not be behind the wheel and you should never have even started the car.

Your only option is to get a good lawyer & see if the lawyer can weasel you out of the charge. Your lawyer fees will far exceed the few dollars you tried to save by driving the vehicle.

BTW, if it was your friend’s muffler that got the cop’s attention, why was he even talking to you?
Last edited by starchoice on May 10th, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
On the positive side, OP didn't get into an accident and doesn't owe someone $1 million for injuries.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2423 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
eclone wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure what there is to fight if OP already admitted guilt. And saving a few buck on tow fees certainly wont be a good enough reason to buy leniency with the judge.
I know right? Their lawyer says they are fine with the charge though... LOL

About reinstating their insurance, that was a wee bit of a stretch on my part to give false hope, inspired by another thread where someone here did say they were going to TRY to do that in a similar circumstance. Can't remember if it worked out, if they actually did go ahead with it.

If the story is cut and dried as the wrote OP it seems pretty sure that unless the officer does not show up that all the OP can do is hope for mercy from the Crown or Judge.
Dec 1, 2014
211 posts
196 upvotes
Burlington, ON
engineered wrote: On the positive side, OP didn't get into an accident and doesn't owe someone $1 million for injuries.
This really needs to be a top comment. Accidents happen and in this case, could have impacted the OP for rest of his live. This is just a good lesson learned.
Mar 10, 2012
276 posts
238 upvotes
THORNHILL
gizmo8 wrote: I think OP was expecting some alternative options but sorry to say the fine could be $5000 first time but I doubt you lose your license if you shown you were insured until the previous month.Your rates could be thru the roof though since your 24 years old if you want to drive again.
Could be $5000? That's the minimum...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15601 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Should have just called insurance to find out how much insurance would have been for a day...

But this is the way... RFD way
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1602 posts
771 upvotes
Typical is 50% discount on first offence at court.....$2500, now if you have no income and what not you might go lower. The price isn't the real damage, the conviction and future insurance rates are the real damage.
Cool Beans
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
What was OP doing to attract a cop's attn? Ofc I don't condone driving w/o insurance, just what are the chances of a cop showing up in the area AND stopping him? Maybe due to those advanced plate scanners?

Since he got stopped, dunno why some ppl are saying OP shouldn't have told the cop he has no insurance, isn't it std for the cop to ask for ins+registration in all cases?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.