Automotive

Car Insurance When Loaning a Car.

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2021 9:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1602 posts
1273 upvotes
Ontario

Car Insurance When Loaning a Car.

Loaning a vehicle to our son who lives in another town for the winter ( 3-4 months) as his has died.
Can we just add him as a driver on our policy? He has been licensed for > 22 years.
We want to make sure we do it right and are all fully covered/insured.
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1587 posts
2740 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
If he's not the same address as you he can just drive it and loan both the car and your insurance without needing to add him. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4173 posts
3040 upvotes
Edmonton
profile wrote: Loaning a vehicle to our son who lives in another town for the winter ( 3-4 months) as his has died.
Can we just add him as a driver on our policy? He has been licensed for > 22 years.
We want to make sure we do it right and are all fully covered/insured.
This is a material change in risk. Report this to your insurance agent/broker or company as the vehicle will have a different principal operator. You should also inform them that the vehicle will also be based in a different town.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15873 posts
10560 upvotes
Toronto
Call your broker or insurer
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
profile wrote: Wow, thanks Kiraly for the website.
I learned a lot, like an accident by another driver in your car will no longer be attributed to your driving record/insurance etc.
Thanks for sharing the information, much appreciated.
Not sure where you live, but that link is for BC residents.
You can lend out your car to someone that doesn't live in your household, but it's not meant to be a regular thing. If your son is driving your car for 3-4 months straight, you should put him on your insurance for that time period.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1602 posts
1273 upvotes
Ontario
Shaner wrote: Not sure where you live, but that link is for BC residents.
You can lend out your car to someone that doesn't live in your household, but it's not meant to be a regular thing. If your son is driving your car for 3-4 months straight, you should put him on your insurance for that time period.
I am in Ontario so thank you for pointing that out to me. I didn't notice the website was for BC.
Yes, I will phone the insurance company and have him listed as a driver.
Driving without proper coverage is a reckless thing to do.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13002 posts
9929 upvotes
Edmonton
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: If he's not the same address as you he can just drive it and loan both the car and your insurance without needing to add him. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong, possibly depending on jurisdiction. Here in Alberta and I believe in Ontario, occasional use would be ok. But as others have mentioned, if you’re doing it for a significant period of time, you need to add them. It doesn’t even mean it will cost any more, depending on their driving record. But you’re better off finding out they’ve had a DUI before you hand over your keys, rather than after. As an example.

There was a thread in here not that long ago where a father found out that his son’s license had been suspended after he lent his car to his son and there was either an accident or ticket.

C
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
You need to advise your insurance provider of the change in risk (driver) and the garaged location
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)