Automotive

Car manufacturers (Toyota as of now) to cut productions by 40% due to chip shortage | Used car prices to spike

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 5:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4642 posts
527 upvotes

Car manufacturers (Toyota as of now) to cut productions by 40% due to chip shortage | Used car prices to spike

Toyota is the first one to cut production by 40%

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58266794

Rumors are Honda is probably going to do the same. Ford has lots full of half built vehicles sitting at the factory.

Used car sales had a slight dip, but now with this news and probability of other manufacturers cutting productions; it's going to drive up the prices even higher.

Good time to sell your TRDs, TypeRs or whatever gold nuggets you guys are sitting on lol. Better have another vehicle to last you till the end of 2022 though, as that's when the chip supply chain will return to normal, as per some articles.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1386 posts
1421 upvotes
ON
Just last week I went to test drive the Toyota RAV4 hybrid in the hopes of putting down a deposit. The salesman (who are always optimistic) provided a waiting period of 2-3 months. I didn’t like the car or else I would have been waiting well into the next year.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7815 posts
6274 upvotes
Ottawa
I picked a heckuva time to explore the market. That being said, there are still tons of used vehicles priced reasonably if you're looking for a sedan that's a little older than 4-5 years. What I find is that low mileage versions of the more popular CUVs are highly sought after right now as frustrated new vehicle buyers shift their attention to those that are nearly new - and I do notice that those particular models are priced accordingly. It's made worse by the rental car industry having dumped a big chunk of its fleet last year and not having replaced them with new model purchases - that industry's behaviour can have a big effect on the supply of used cars. Last year, that temporarily softened prices and this year it is going the other way.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1463 posts
135 upvotes
GM N/A plants have been down for weeks and just extended.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Holystone wrote: Just last week I went to test drive the Toyota RAV4 hybrid in the hopes of putting down a deposit. The salesman (who are always optimistic) provided a waiting period of 2-3 months. I didn’t like the car or else I would have been waiting well into the next year.
RAV4 Hybrid is always in demand, even before pandemic.
Same with Sienna, they are just popular cars and get sold fast and there aren't a huge production with Hybrid.

I feel that this will be a holding off point for salesperson not to give you a deal even after the shortage get easy down.

So if you don't need a brand new car, just hold on for now. No point to pay what you aren't suppose to pay.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7891 upvotes
Kitchener
There is at least one way to mitigate this shortage. At least one automaker is re-programming the firmware in their vehicles to be able to use alternative chips.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9208 posts
8481 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: There is at least one way to mitigate this shortage. At least one automaker is re-programming the firmware in their vehicles to be able to use alternative chips.
Unless those alternative are potato variety....