[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11352 posts
3097 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Car Modification Law?

Hello,

I have heard from a few people about some new law that is coming into effect this summer regarding modifications to your car. I was wondering if anybody has any more info about this or a link?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
25 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14757 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
There's one in Quebec and I hope they bring in laws to Ontario. I don't mind engine mods and plenty others, but these stupid stanced cars.... Was coming home yesterday and was passed by a civic on the highway that was cambered out and slammed. We end up getting off the same exit. Female driver, in her 20s, chubby so car shouldn't be slammed. She is gunning it and so everyone around her is doing the same. Then she slams on her brakes to cross a railroad crossing... People almost smashed into her car because she went from 65-70 to 5-10 and had to move across the tracks at a 45.

WTF!?

We need Ocean City!!
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2016
75 posts
24 upvotes
Ont
koffey wrote: There's one in Quebec and I hope they bring in laws to Ontario. I don't mind engine mods and plenty others, but these stupid stanced cars.... Was coming home yesterday and was passed by a civic on the highway that was cambered out and slammed. We end up getting off the same exit. Female driver, in her 20s, chubby so car shouldn't be slammed. She is gunning it and so everyone around her is doing the same. Then she slams on her brakes to cross a railroad crossing... People almost smashed into her car because she went from 65-70 to 5-10 and had to move across the tracks at a 45.

WTF!?

We need Ocean City!!
While I am not a fan of all modifications. I don't think stuff should be illegal just because you don't like them.[..]
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19597 posts
3600 upvotes
Toronto
If they toss everyone who modifies their headlights in jail for a couple years I'll be happy. There are far too many idiots doing a half-assed job of it and blinding everyone around them.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4754 posts
5878 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't mind nice sounding aftermarket exhaust notes, but whatever gets those ricer automatic muffler-less Mazda 3's off the road, I'm all in.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14020 posts
8116 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: There's one in Quebec and I hope they bring in laws to Ontario. I don't mind engine mods and plenty others, but these stupid stanced cars..
agree with this...massive camber and stretched tires...ridiculous.
er34er34 wrote: I don't mind nice sounding aftermarket exhaust notes, but whatever gets those ricer automatic muffler-less Mazda 3's off the road, I'm all in.
also agreed...it's usually Civics.

While on the topic of exhaust noise...Harley owners with straight pipes
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
As with anything aftermarket and per disclaimer, "for off road use only" and at the end of the day it is at the discretion of the police officer.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14757 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
seiresM wrote: While I am not a fan of all modifications. I don't think stuff should be illegal just because I don't like them. I think you sound like an idiot for suggestion a stupid law comes into effect in Ontario but it doesn't mean I want you deported.
[..]The car cannot clear railroad tracks without coming to an almost complete stop. Do you think it would make it up an incline? How about a pot hole filled road? [..]
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
koffey wrote: [..]The car cannot clear railroad tracks without coming to an almost complete stop. Do you think it would make it up an incline? How about a pot hole filled road? [..].
Regradless if she came to a complete stop or not, the cars behind should not be following so close, to the point of having to "slam the brakes".
Jan 17, 2016
75 posts
24 upvotes
Ont
koffey wrote: [..]The car cannot clear railroad tracks without coming to an almost complete stop. Do you think it would make it up an incline? How about a pot hole filled road? [..].
No, I don't see an issue with stanced cars. I am not an engineer who understands the negative effects of the stanced cars if they are done properly. The person driving behind the person should be giving them more space and be paying attention. Even some people who drive stock Mercs slow down to all hell for tracks, it's not cars with "stupid mods" only who do this.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14757 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Regradless if she came to a complete stop or not, the cars behind should not be following so close, to the point of having to "slam the brakes".
Right.
seiresM wrote: No, I don't see an issue with stanced cars. I am not an engineer who understands the negative effects of the stanced cars if they are done properly. The person driving behind the person should be giving them more space and be paying attention. Even some people who drive stock Mercs slow down to all hell for tracks, it's not cars with "stupid mods" only who do this.
[..]

Please tell me how long it would take an average car to slow from 65-70 to 5-10? 3 cars? 4 cars? What's a safe distance?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45451 posts
8458 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
[quote="seiresM" post_id="26234127" time="1466000730" user_id="1294259"]While I am not a fan of all modifications. I don't think stuff should be illegal just because I don't like them.[/QUote]

it does compromise road safety. These type of stanced cars actually put their suspension at a higher risk of failure due to the extreme chamber settings that are popular. Theres also not much suspension travel... What if there is a pot hole and it snaps their control arm in half causing the car to spin out? A bottom out of the suspension can also cause loss of control.
Also... It encourages behavior like above. Slamming your brakes to approach bumps @ 45 degree angles...

My car was lowered for maybe a few months before I quickly switched it back to stock. It was lowered from the previous owner... Only 1 inch (eibach pro kit + bielstein HD shocks) and it was annoying as hell. But good to look at!
it was lowered with performance in mind... Not 'hella flush'.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4357 posts
3642 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Back on topic, OP is asking about "some new law coming into effect this summer" that will impact modified cars.

Sounds like it's referring to the new Ontario Safety Standards Certificate criteria? Or is there another "law" that it might refer to?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2042 posts
858 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I've seen quite a bit of cars lowered or not slow down a lot when crossing railways tracks.

It could be because the car is way to low but a lot of railway tracks are kinda raised or the foundation around the track is all messed up and therefore slowing down has to happen.

Personally, I am all for modded cars, ofcourse I have a limit and like yourself I am not a fan of extreme rice mods such as tires sticking 10 inches outside the fender, etc.

But if your only gripe with the mod is that you and others had to brake then tough luck, get used to it.

Also why the size of the woman in the car was stated I am not sure, maybe it somehow makes you feel better about yourself??
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14757 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
flyingnurse wrote: I've seen quite a bit of cars lowered or not slow down a lot when crossing railways tracks.

It could be because the car is way to low but a lot of railway tracks are kinda raised or the foundation around the track is all messed up and therefore slowing down has to happen.

Personally, I am all for modded cars, ofcourse I have a limit and like yourself I am not a fan of extreme rice mods such as tires sticking 10 inches outside the fender, etc.

But if your only gripe with the mod is that you and others had to brake then tough luck, get used to it.

Also why the size of the woman in the car was stated I am not sure, maybe it somehow makes you feel better about yourself??
There is a huge difference between a car that is lowered vs stanced. And MOST posers tend to cut springs as a cheap alternative to purchasing the hardware to do it right and stick 'aero' kits on them. If you cannot drive you car over tracks or bumps on even on a driveway ramp, it shouldn't be on the road.

I also dislike donks. Ever see stickers on these ricer cars? Two in the ****, one in the ******, No FAT chicks, etc.... If not, I suggest you start googling and stop worrying about how I feel about myself.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2016
75 posts
24 upvotes
Ont
UrbanPoet wrote: it does compromise road safety. These type of stanced cars actually put their suspension at a higher risk of failure due to the extreme chamber settings that are popular. Theres also not much suspension travel... What if there is a pot hole and it snaps their control arm in half causing the car to spin out? A bottom out of the suspension can also cause loss of control.
Also... It encourages behavior like above. Slamming your brakes to approach bumps @ 45 degree angles...

My car was lowered for maybe a few months before I quickly switched it back to stock. It was lowered from the previous owner... Only 1 inch (eibach pro kit + bielstein HD shocks) and it was annoying as hell. But good to look at!
it was lowered with performance in mind... Not 'hella flush'.
You might not like lowered cars and raised your car which I can understand, some people do enjoy it. I do enjoy a car with a great stance. Not hella flush but lowered properly. I know there is also these products which have been engineer with this kind of extreme lowering in mind so they are as safe as most other products. Thanks for your opinion.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45451 posts
8458 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
seiresM wrote: You might not like lowered cars and raised your car which I can understand, some people do enjoy it. I do enjoy a car with a great stance. Not hella flush but lowered properly. I know there is also these products which have been engineer with this kind of extreme lowering in mind so they are as safe as most other products. Thanks for your opinion.
What about the safety aspect of it? e.g. Having little to no suspension travel on 'stanced hella flush' setups.
Running into a common GTA occurrence of a pot hole can cause your suspension to bottom out and lose control.

Lowered cars are fine by me... Its that new trend of being 'hella flush' that brings up serious safety concerns.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14757 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
seiresM wrote: You might not like lowered cars and raised your car which I can understand, some people do enjoy it. I do enjoy a car with a great stance. Not hella flush but lowered properly. I know there is also these products which have been engineer with this kind of extreme lowering in mind so they are as safe as most other products. Thanks for your opinion.
And I'm sure people run out to spend tons of cash on these products which have been engineer for this extreme lowering in mind with a camber kit, especially on an old civic when they can just cut and lower and cheaply get the look. Gotta blow my hard earned allowance on rims and stretched tires. Try providing some value to the thread instead of trying to downplay someones opinion. Thanks for your opinion.
UrbanPoet wrote: What about the safety aspect of it? e.g. Having little to no suspension travel on 'stanced hella flush' setups.
Running into a common GTA occurrence of a pot hole can cause your suspension to bottom out and lose control.

Lowered cars are fine by me... Its that new trend of being 'hella flush' that brings up serious safety concerns.
100% agree.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
Most of the slammed cars I see around here are Genesis Coupes.

Must be a cult since they all have this emblem:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
koffey wrote: And I'm sure people run out to spend tons of cash on these products which have been engineer for this extreme lowering in mind with a camber kit, especially on an old civic when they can just cut and lower and cheaply get the look. Gotta blow my hard earned allowance on rims and stretched tires. Try providing some value to the thread instead of trying to downplay someones opinion. Thanks for your opinion.
He only stated that some people use the right components to get the look. I believe his opinion to be as valid as yours, given that both of you are assuming what someone might have done to their car to lower it but ultimately have no actual facts or numbers. Stop bullying others and listen to what they are actually saying before putting them down.
Also, all school buses and ambulances or transit vehicles stop at railway crossings just as many others have the right to slow right down when crossing as to not damage their tires/rims etc. Many crossings are very rough and even trucks slow down when crossing them.
There are quite a few factory cars that would have issues with potholes, speed bumps and steep inclines, they aren't considered unsafe because they don't have 4" of suspension travel.
To end my post, as someone already mentioned, though it might not be my cup of tea, as long as it's done the proper way, lowering a car shouldn't be illegal within certain limits of course.

[/quote]