• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 6:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes

Car not starting

Car crancked slow then died completely...calling td auto club but what are my options..only dealer?
134 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
Your battery is likely dead.

If it can't take a charge, you will need a new one.

How old is the car? Is it the original battery?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
Battery is full it seems.
. dash lights are on...first it crancked slow but then stopped crancking at all...
Car is 2005
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
67 posts
28 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
CocoJambo wrote: Battery is full it seems.
. dash lights are on...first it crancked slow but then stopped crancking at all...
Car is 2005
It takes a lot more power to start the car than it does to turn the lights on.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
99Percenter wrote: It takes a lot more power to start the car than it does to turn the lights on.
Ok but it is not even making any attempt...zero action..not even some sound..I am at a safe place though..if I do have to tow where do intake it?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Might be the starter or the starter relay if there is no sound from the starter. Do you hear a 'click' when you try to crank it?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
When i put to ignition on position , a click is there .is that the relay..but when I turn the key..nothing....
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Jump start with booster cables
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
Just in case things don't work with jump start...should i tow to dealer or home? I can wait ti get it fixed after 03 jan?
I know dealer can take undue advantage in these situations.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Buy booster cables and keep them with you. Many motorists will let you boost from them if you have cables. Also, when I think my battery is near the end I pack a spare ... just an old one that was replaced prematurely.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Turn your headlights on and some other accessories that need your battery to run. Are your headlights bright or are they dim? If they stay bright your battery is ok.

Have you tried tapping or shorting your starter?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Your car parked outside or inside?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 24, 2013
231 posts
54 upvotes
CocoJambo wrote: Car crancked slow then died completely...calling td auto club but what are my options..only dealer?
Try the boost first. That's the easiest fix. I'm in southwestern Ontario and my car wouldn't start this morning since it's -16 and -23 with the windchill. People are the only thing affected by the cold. :) In my case, my battery's four years old so it's getting towards the end of its life with this type of cold.

If the boost doesn't work, getting towed to a dealer or your house is a personal decision. I'd get mine towed to my house or towed to the mechanic I trust. I've been going to my mechanic for years, so I often drop my car off and put my keys, a note with what's wrong and contact info. through their mailbox. Most places have a set up like this. Shops will also be open tomorrow if you want to get it towed home instead.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
Ok boost did not work
My mechanc said to tow to his place. Any idea how much is tow charge. Td auto club said, they only cover till nearest service center
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
CocoJambo wrote: Ok boost did not work
My mechanc said to tow to his place. Any idea how much is tow charge. Td auto club said, they only cover till nearest service center
Ask them how much they would charge as it does not matter what we think is a tow charge. The operator can give you an idea.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Gregorich wrote: Try the boost first. That's the easiest fix. I'm in southwestern Ontario and my car wouldn't start this morning since it's -16 and -23 with the windchill. People are the only thing affected by the cold. :) In my case, my battery's four years old so it's getting towards the end of its life with this type of cold.

If the boost doesn't work, getting towed to a dealer or your house is a personal decision. I'd get mine towed to my house or towed to the mechanic I trust. I've been going to my mechanic for years, so I often drop my car off and put my keys, a note with what's wrong and contact info. through their mailbox. Most places have a set up like this. Shops will also be open tomorrow if you want to get it towed home instead.
Windchill does not impact vehicles as it is only used for people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
hightech wrote: Ask them how much they would charge as it does not matter what we think is a tow charge. The operator can give you an idea.
Td auto club is giving very rough 3 to 4 $ per km before taxes.
Any cheaper solution. I need to.tow 50 kms
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
CocoJambo wrote: Car crancked slow then died completely...calling td auto club but what are my options..only dealer?
Sign that the battery is not providing enough cranking power, once it reaches -5C even some OEM battery will not start the car within 4-5 years.
Did you try to crank the car several times you could have also flooded the mix chamber and also fouled the spark plugs. With the ignition off, depress the gas pedal all the way down and hold it for 5 minutes.
If you are handy I would take out the battery and bring it inside and immerse it into a tub of hot water to the plate height and charge it for an hour if you have a charger and then put the battery back into the car.
98% of the time this will start the car. If that still does not start I would take out the spark plugs and clean them.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1866 posts
339 upvotes
Any suggestions on decently priced towing now?
Can I leave car in woodbine racetrack parking lot?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)