Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10717 posts
1002 upvotes
Vancouver

Car phone mount?

Will be doing a roadtrip in at least 1 rental car. The first car is a "toyota corolla hatch or similar" so ultimately I don't really know which car I'll have.

In the past I've used suction cups against the windshield - those work well until they fall off when you don't want it. Seems vent mounts are more popular now, but I am not sure what sort of vents it will be and if they will definitely mount?

And then there are ones that are magnet. I don't really want to put a magnet ON my phone, but I do have a spare phone case. Would I be able to attach it to the interior (or exterior?) of the case?

Any advice for something portable that will work well?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1389 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Vent mount appears to be your best bet. I personally use one from a brand called Kenu which is more durable than other generic Aukey/Anker type that I previously had. I had used this car mount in a number of vehicles: VW Golf, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Budget cube vans. All seem to have vents in a position where I can mount a phone.

Given that it's winter and the heat is likely on in the car, a precaution is to have the mount clipped to an air vent that lets you open or close (though no always possible). That way you can close the vent to avoid hot air blowing directly onto the back of the phone. Phone on its own should be pretty warm due to constant GPS use and charging.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1176 posts
118 upvotes
Markham
I use the air vent mount as well made by Spigen. The middle vents in my car do not blow hot air out when I have the front defroster on so I just attach it to that.

As for the plate, I just taped it onto my phone using a small strip of your everyday transparent tape, and then put the phone in a case. That way, I don't have to attach the plate to the outside of the case or worse, on the phone itself. Has not fallen off my air vent at all but maybe it's because the case I am using is not that thick.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3123 posts
1944 upvotes
Montreal
The suction cup with sticky back type (i.e. iOttie) will stick to pretty much anything, even textured dash.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5997 posts
2396 upvotes
Canuckland
Magnetic ones are quite good, just put it inside the exterior piece of the case.
Jan 20, 2009
50 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
I find the CD mounts very sturdy and generally placed well in the vehicle. Air vent mounts are good but be carefully with them as they tend to be more fragile.
Nov 24, 2015
516 posts
158 upvotes
magnetic vent mounts is my vote, i buy them off ebay (~$2 shipped with the respective metal plates on your phone)

I've used the suction cups and the holders, i found magentic works the best (easiest to get ur phone on /off the mount) and most stable
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1373 posts
440 upvotes
Ottawa
Kaitlyn wrote: Will be doing a roadtrip in at least 1 rental car. The first car is a "toyota corolla hatch or similar" so ultimately I don't really know which car I'll have.

In the past I've used suction cups against the windshield - those work well until they fall off when you don't want it. Seems vent mounts are more popular now, but I am not sure what sort of vents it will be and if they will definitely mount?

And then there are ones that are magnet. I don't really want to put a magnet ON my phone, but I do have a spare phone case. Would I be able to attach it to the interior (or exterior?) of the case?

Any advice for something portable that will work well?
Problem with vent mount is that you never know whether they will fit until you try it. Not really the ideal case if you are talking about a rental car.

Suction cups work great if you have a good one. I have an arkon mount that I owned for over 10 years, and it still works great.

The magnetic ones only use magnetic between the mount and the phone. They still mount to the car either with a suction cup or a vent mount.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12277 posts
1835 upvotes
Kanata
iOttie are great mounts, used them in several different cars.
Nov 25, 2013
841 posts
354 upvotes
Sauga
Get the one Costco sells in store for $20. That's all you need. Solid mount that holds my 6P.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3607 posts
928 upvotes
My vote would be for the cd slot mounts. However some cars don't have a cd slot anymore. Example is last summe when I rented a Hyundai elentra it didn't come with a CD player !

I don't like vent mounts cause i accidentally knocked one before and it broke the vent rail...

So my second choice would be suction cup mount on dash or window
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1102 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
Maplecountry wrote: Get the one Costco sells in store for $20. That's all you need. Solid mount that holds my 6P.
Any brand/model or info on these? Haven't seen them myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1983 posts
292 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

https://www.amazon.ca/Eximtrade-Univers ... 464MKY9MCA
Used to have a cigar lighter phone mount, similar to that 1 but it only lasted 6 months before the lighter part broke.

https://www.amazon.ca/TechRise-Rotation ... MFFE9CP416
I got this 1 now. The suction cup mount is combined with a sticky gel pad, to provide a very strong grip. Found out that it won't grip onto convex dash board surfaces. Will only grip onto flat or slightly concave(like your windshield) surfaces. Am going to get another 1 of these, for my gps. Found out that the gps suction cup mount loses it's grip when the windshield is colder than 7*C. Received the mount in 3 days.
Jun 9, 2011
467 posts
235 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: In the past I've used suction cups against the windshield - those work well until they fall off when you don't want it. Seems vent mounts are more popular now, but I am not sure what sort of vents it will be and if they will definitely mount?
I travel for work frequently, so a lot of rentals. Get the vent one referenced earlier - Kenu Airframe+. It is super compact (so easy to carry) and I am yet to find a car, where I wouldn't be able to mount my phone. Granted - in some cars mounting position may not be the one I would use long-term (i.e. big flat dash with angled vents - phone ends up kind of lying at 45 degrees), but it is still very serviceable and is a perfect balance of usability/convenience for travel.
You can get a cheaper equivalent of Kenu as well, but I threw away the one I got from ebay or ali - vent grippers were much worse than the ones Kenu has.