Automotive

Car Proof and Odometer

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2016 5:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2006
722 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto

Car Proof and Odometer

Hi guys, I'm looking into getting a certified preown vehicle at a dealership. I got carproof and having some trouble understanding something. Here is the report findings.

Date Location Data Source Type of Record Detail Odometer
12/01/2014 Ontario, Canada Motor Vehicle Dept. Canadian Renewal CANADIAN RENEWAL
12/19/2014 Canada Independent Source Odometer reading 90 KM
02/25/2015 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Volvo of Toronto Service Record 834 KM
04/13/2015 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Volvo of Toronto Service Record 855 KM
09/19/2015 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Independent Source Odometer reading 10,588 KM
11/02/2015 Ontario, Canada Motor Vehicle Dept. Canadian Renewal CANADIAN RENEWAL
12/21/2015 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Volvo of Toronto Service Record 4,920 KM
03/31/2016 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Volvo of Toronto Service Record 8,079 KM
05/26/2016 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Volvo of Toronto Service Record 10,383 KM

My question is the date Sept 19, 2015. There is suddenly 10588 KM whereas the last date on May 26, 2016 says 10383. Do you guys think this is just a typo? I'm also not sure what 'independent source' means in data source. Also, is it normal for a vehicle to undergo service this often? This vehicle was a demo.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
3586 posts
764 upvotes
Brampton
Dealer demos are very well maintained in my experience, getting regular maintenance like oil/filter, all the fluid/tire checks, recalls etc.
Looks to me like the dealer put on 10,588 then it was sold to a customer who put on 10,383. What does the actual odometer say, around 20,000?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2006
722 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
prod wrote: Dealer demos are very well maintained in my experience, getting regular maintenance like oil/filter, all the fluid/tire checks, recalls etc.
Looks to me like the dealer put on 10,588 then it was sold to a customer who put on 10,383. What does the actual odometer say, around 20,000?
I think when I test drove it today that it was around 10,500+ but less than 11000. I have noticed this car was on autotrader for the past few months so it was probably in the lot or used as a demo at those times. The thing I don't understand are the dates...why have a date in Sept 2015 for 10588 KM and then May 2016 10383?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
3586 posts
764 upvotes
Brampton
Hmm, dunno then, maybe it is an error.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1807 posts
521 upvotes
My guess would be typo and Sept 19 2015 odometer should have been reported as 1,058 km.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2006
722 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
notfromqc wrote: My guess would be typo and Sept 19 2015 odometer should have been reported as 1,058 km.
What is considered as 'independent source'?

I don't really know how to read car proofs, but does this look like a vehicle that was sold to someone and then resold back to Volvo?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4191 posts
3127 upvotes
Markham
kkl1208 wrote: What is considered as 'independent source'?

I don't really know how to read car proofs, but does this look like a vehicle that was sold to someone and then resold back to Volvo?
Your full report should tell you how many owners the car has had.
Member
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
How often have you gone to the license office to renew your sticker and forgotten to make a note of your odometer reading? Lots of times for me and I've just taken a wild guess. Same thing can happen with a mechanic servicing the car. It's no big deal.
Sr. Member
Feb 20, 2011
596 posts
163 upvotes
downtown TO
in general does carfax show all the service history of a car if serviced at a dealer
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11256 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Image you are going to see the car years after, you will need to explain why the vehicle has a KM roll back. May cause an headache at the moment you are selling it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2006
722 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: Image you are going to see the car years after, you will need to explain why the vehicle has a KM roll back. May cause an headache at the moment you are selling it.
That's a very, very good point. Will need to think about this further. Thanks!
Member
Feb 24, 2013
359 posts
51 upvotes
Ontario
I'm sure the odometer readings recorded are not deliberate attempts to defraud anybody, just errors and incorrect guesses. Over time, correct readings will be entered and it's all good. Even old cars have tamperproof electronic odometers.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)