• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 8:21 am
[OP]
Jul 22, 2020
7 posts
5 upvotes

(Car purchased with a possible) Fake Safety Cert - Ontario

Hello everyone!

Last Sunday I have purchased a vehicle privately in Toronto, ONT. I test drove it and didn't really feel anything suspicious so I pulled the trigger. Paid roughly 8k for it. It is a rare car and not too many around that's why I made an impulsive decision. Car was pre safetied by local safety station. Just to give myself peace of mind. I took it to my local mechanic for a checkup. Turns out the rack and Pinion is full of oil leakage ($1500), both front struts have been leaking bad/blown ($400) two rims are bent pretty bad(????$$$). There is also another leakage around transmission as well. In this shape no way the safety certificate should be issued. I literally put the car under my name 3 days ago and safety was issued 15 days ago. Mechanic told me to go to Canadian Tire and get their safety report and if it doesn't meet the criteria follow up with MTO. Has anyone dealt with similar situation before? I literally have had the car for 4 days.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 23rd, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
46 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27583 posts
12655 upvotes
Toronto
file a complaint about an inspection station or recently certified vehicle, please call us at 1-800-387-7736 (toll-free). Not sure how they will approach your issue and for compensation, you may consider of taking that shop (that did the safety) to small claim court as well.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14402 posts
2904 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you take it your mechanic AFTER buying it? The idea is to take the certificate and get it inspected at your mechanic BEFORE putting down 1 cent on the car.

This issue happens too often that people just don't use common sense and reply implicitly on what a seller tells them. Since it is a private sale, your options are what @bobblehead mentioned.

Here is an article that might help you out: https://www.peopleslawschool.ca/everyda ... you-bought
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2164 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Why would you take it your mechanic AFTER buying it? The idea is to take the certificate and get it inspected at your mechanic BEFORE putting down 1 cent on the car.

This issue happens too often that people just don't use common sense and reply implicitly on what a seller tells them. Since it is a private sale, your options are what @bobblehead mentioned.

Here is an article that might help you out: https://www.peopleslawschool.ca/everyda ... you-bought
The OP said it's a rare car and he got caught up in the excitement and did an impulse buy. I'm sure most people can relate a bit. Especially on RFD.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2377 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
Have you looked into if the problems you're experiencing are even part of the safety certificate conditions?

I'm not familiar with all the changes that occurred in 2016 and I haven't purchased a used car in ages but I know that for example the rims can be bent just not excessively so. As far as I know even the engine leaking oil would not make it fail the inspection.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2020
7 posts
5 upvotes
Thank you for all your input.

Just got off the phone with the shop that performed the safety. Seems like the owner wants to cooperate. Not really sure in what way but waiting for the plan that I could proceed to get the situation fixed.

Looks like the MTO is pretty strick when it comes to those situations, you can loose your licence easily.

Oil leakage is not concerning me much but I drove the car for good 500km and the rack and pinion leaking + blown struts and bend rims... That should never pass the safety, and that's what the mechanic admitted as well.

As I said, it was an impulsive decision, but buying the car that is safetied should eliminate certain problems before you actually purchase it.

Once again, appreciate your help.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14933 posts
15831 upvotes
Oakville
Massior wrote: Thank you for all your input.

Just got off the phone with the shop that performed the safety. Seems like the owner wants to cooperate. Not really sure in what way but waiting for the plan that I could proceed to get the situation fixed.

Looks like the MTO is pretty strick when it comes to those situations, you can loose your licence easily.

Oil leakage is not concerning me much but I drove the car for good 500km and the rack and pinion leaking + blown struts and bend rims... That should never pass the safety, and that's what the mechanic admitted as well.

As I said, it was an impulsive decision, but buying the car that is safetied should eliminate certain problems before you actually purchase it.

Once again, appreciate your help.
The standard doesn't mention anything about leaky strut. Only if it's broken or oscillates more than 2 cycles. It's too bad you didn't do any quick checks yourself. You would have found most of your issues. Don't need to be a mechanic.
If the wheel is badly bent you'd feel that on your road test. You'd also notice the shock if it was failed.

Strut / Shock AbsorberItem and Method of Inspection:Reject if:Additional Inspection Procedure(s):Check shock absorbers by rapidly lowering and raising the vehicle.a) operationa) - vehicle oscillates more than two cycles after release b) conditionb) - damaged, disconnected or missingc) mount and hardware c) - broken, loose, binding or missing

IMHO safety is basically meaningless since it can be faked/bought off, or maybe the damage happened after the safety. How can you prove these problems existed before you bought it? Seller will say that you broke the car.

I bet CT mechanic will say, sure we'll help you out. We'll give you a "deal" on fixing those problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3752 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
Where did you buy the car from? Used car dealer? Private sale?

Who had the "car pre safetied by local safety station"? The seller?

Looking at the Vehicle Inspection Standards posted above, the leaking rack (4.1.a) and bent wheels (9.7.a) do fail the inspection. The leaking shocks do not. Only if they are in fact "blown" (2.5.a).
[OP]
Jul 22, 2020
7 posts
5 upvotes
derass wrote: Where did you buy the car from? Used car dealer? Private sale?

Who had the "car pre safetied by local safety station"? The seller?

Looking at the Vehicle Inspection Standards posted above, the leaking rack (4.1.a) and bent wheels (9.7.a) do fail the inspection. The leaking shocks do not. Only if they are in fact "blown" (2.5.a).
One of the struts is in fact blown.

Bought the car privately. The car has been safetied few days prior to the sale by local shop. They are offering to pay for the parts... Which I am not sure about.

He said he wont pay for parts and labour. He also told me that MTO in worst case scenario will tell him to pay for parts. I am trying to be fair here. Has anyone gone thru the MTO route? Seems like the standards for safety got much more strict around a year ago or so... Kinda stuck here with what to do.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27583 posts
12655 upvotes
Toronto
care to tell us what year/model/car this is ?

honda S2000 is very rare ?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14402 posts
2904 upvotes
Toronto
Massior wrote: One of the struts is in fact blown.

Bought the car privately. The car has been safetied few days prior to the sale by local shop. They are offering to pay for the parts... Which I am not sure about.

He said he wont pay for parts and labour. He also told me that MTO in worst case scenario will tell him to pay for parts. I am trying to be fair here. Has anyone gone thru the MTO route? Seems like the standards for safety got much more strict around a year ago or so... Kinda stuck here with what to do.
Would this not fall under Fraud: https://torontopolice.on.ca/core/fraud_under.php
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Sep 5, 2013
78 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga
Mind sharing the name of the shop that safetied the vehicle, or is that question too soon?

----------------------------------
Side note: I trust no-one when it comes to private, or dealership.
$8,000 is allot of cash to dole out to a stranger.

I would go the MTO route just to ensure the job actually gets done. Just in case the shop back peddles.
I'd rather have them go to bat for me, since the shop was supposedly already devious.
Unfortunately he might use sub-par quality parts though, if he's footing the bill for the parts. Not allot you can do about that.

Edit: the good news is, it's a life experience and sometimes the only way we learn.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2020
7 posts
5 upvotes
I don't really trust the shop to do the work on the car since they messed up badly in the safety check.

I hear mixed stories... Some people say MTO won't give a crap and others say that they can do wonders. Looks like mechanic and seller are trying to play cat and mouse game declining any responsibility for what happened.

The number for the safety concerns from gov website is actually inactive due to covid. I'll have to look for other numbers today.