Car Ramps vs Jack Stands

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 9:40 pm
Nov 1, 2015
625 posts
309 upvotes
BC

Car Ramps vs Jack Stands

Which do you prefer? Also, which do you consider is safer?

I looked at some reviews and I've seen people saying that the ramps bowed out on them. Would this mainly be because of improper use like uneven surface? Having most of the weight on Jack stands and then having a floor jack underneath as a backup seems to be the safer route.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
it really depends on the application. For oil change I use the ramps, but if the wheels have to come off such as the case of brake inspection I use the lift and jack stands
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't experienced bowing out but lack of secure base on the ramp makes it shoot out when giving little too much gas.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Jigsaw wrote: it really depends on the application. For oil change I use the ramps, but if the wheels have to come off such as the case of brake inspection I use the lift and jack stands
Same here - but with the caveat I will stick the jack stands under my ramp as a secondary support just because I have them.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Isn't ramps just mostly for oil changes. At least that's what my father only used it for.

A jack and stands get more use.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6124 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Depends on the job I'm doing. Both are perfectly safe if you've used them properly :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Just don't be this guy using unsecured jackpad that's made of rubber that can split in half from weight of the car.

Apr 28, 2013
344 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I made my own wood ramps out of old 2x12s. Pretty quick and easy to use. Just need to be set them up parallel and spaced accordingly. With a manual car you do need to be really careful to inch up and not overshoot it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
peteryorkuca wrote: Just don't be this guy using unsecured jackpad that's made of rubber that can split in half from weight of the car.
Well that was rather stupid, just before it dropped, notice the rear tire (on the ramp) is off the ground - doesn't look like he was actually using the right lift point - well that and the crunched body work makes it pretty obvious. Look at your owners manual to confirm.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th ... oints.html
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1396 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Just don't be this guy using unsecured jackpad that's made of rubber that can split in half from weight of the car.

Even the dog knew something bad was coming.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
use both
drive car on the ramp
and then put jack stand under for extra safety
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
And don't forget to put something behind the back wheels when using either. I use a big 2x4 and kick it snug under both sides.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Ramps are fine for oil/fluid changes, working on certain things; but, obviously nothing wheel/tyre, brake, or suspension related really as you will need to take the wheels off and the ramps use the wheels to drive up on lol. TBH ramps have quite a limited range of use but are good for a quick oil change. Some fluids (not engine oil) in some cars require you to raise the full car and have it level to change it and properly refill it, so ramps also fail there as well. I have a set but TBH I used them very seldom; since I got a QJ, they're totally obsoleted now.
cliff wrote: Well that was rather stupid, just before it dropped, notice the rear tire (on the ramp) is off the ground - doesn't look like he was actually using the right lift point - well that and the crunched body work makes it pretty obvious. Look at your owners manual to confirm.
This guy was a total moron. Some man-child whining about his exhaust noise not being good enough :rolleyes: and cutting out cats and other bullshit. Serves him right for doing/attempting shens like cat removal and acting like a teenager because he needs "moar noise" or whatever he was on about. Also more money than brains here, that's for sure. Can buy a $100k (CAD) car and does this nonsense. Which idiot puts a car up on two ramps and then proceeds to jack up the other corner? :facepalm:

Don't do what that guy did folks, pretty sure the ramps even have a warning that tell you things like:
-Don't attempt to use four ramps to put the entire vehicle up
-Don't attempt to use one ramp to put one corner up
-Don't do what this clown did
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depends on what it's for. Fluid changes -> ramps; anything needing to take wheels off -> jack stands.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I reversed my rav4 on to them to install a trailer hitch.