Costco travel for car rental
One punch, ouch man
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2434 posts
1353 upvotes
Freddydood wrote:
May 8th, 2019 7:06 am
Always use autoslash.com to book (goes through priceline). This will give you the best discount codes. Often Americans get better prices even after conversion, autoslash will search .com as well as .ca to find the best price. Been using it for a couple years for over a dozen rentals per year.
Just tried this and it was $18 less than my existing Costco Travel booking for one week. I will keep this in mind for the future, Thanks!

I'm keeping my Costco reservation because of the free spouse driver option.
Sep 13, 2012
634 posts
286 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Paul61 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 6:42 am
I noticed that when looking into booking a rent a car for our upcoming vacation they all seem to want to charge you more if you pay at the counter. Not sure how that works as you need to see what the contract says before you sign it and to make sure they haven't added any extras not agree too. See image for an example, comments are most welcome as this is my first time renting a car.

Car Rental Website Quote.jpg
If the specific location wants to cover each reservation made it could involve having a significant presence of vehicles on hand. At an airport, for example, this isn't a major issue as a large number of cars are always in rotation whereas at a neighborhood location this could involve pulling cars from other sites. Generally speaking most neighborhood locations won't carry enough vehicles to satisfy all first come, first serve (pay at counter) reservations. That's not to say your rental vehicle wouldn't be brought over from another site while you wait but there is a possibility if, let's say, you show up at 8am on a Friday morning before a long weekend and there are 20 reservations for that time with only 10 vehicles on site the location likely won't rush vehicles over to satisfy all rentals until paid for.

Having said that, your particular quote stipulates exactly what's covered under the terms and conditions with the slight discount of paying ahead of time to secure your vehicle so it's not dead weight on the lot. A reservation paid for prior will incur a cancellation fee if you do so more than 24 hours before scheduled pick with a higher cancellation fee less than 24 hours before scheduled pick up.

If you're dealing with a major brand, feel free to call their customer service line and pick their brain about any and all questions. One important thing to remember: when walking up to your rental vehicle be sure to document (pictures on your phone) any damage you see around the entire vehicle, including rims, below the vehicle as best as you can see, windshield, and the roof. Ensure the attendant notes the damage found on file in addition to your contract. Also verify the fuel level displayed is the same as noted on the contract for return. And if you're a smoker do not smoke in the vehicle - not even with the windows rolled down.
Last edited by 100Pacer on May 8th, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3661 posts
1072 upvotes
Edmonton
Freddydood wrote:
May 8th, 2019 7:06 am
Always use autoslash.com to book (goes through priceline). This will give you the best discount codes. Often Americans get better prices even after conversion, autoslash will search .com as well as .ca to find the best price. Been using it for a couple years for over a dozen rentals per year.
Used autoslash last week in the states, and the priceline total was the exact price I paid. No extra fees or weirdness. We also managed to score a special rate on a hotel through priceline with the car rental, that I couldnt find anywhere else.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10918 posts
10171 upvotes
Oakville
Third Eye wrote:
May 8th, 2019 8:33 am
Just tried this and it was $18 less than my existing Costco Travel booking for one week. I will keep this in mind for the future, Thanks!

I'm keeping my Costco reservation because of the free spouse driver option.
Same rental company? Or was it a sleazy one like EZ or Advantage (apparently they like to tack on false extra charges according to many reddit complaints).
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10918 posts
10171 upvotes
Oakville
100Pacer wrote:
May 8th, 2019 8:34 am
If the specific location wants to cover each reservation made it could involve having a significant presence of vehicles on hand. At an airport, for example, this isn't a major issue as a large number of cars are always in rotation whereas at a neighborhood location this could involve pulling cars from other sites. Generally speaking most neighborhood locations won't carry enough vehicles to satisfy all first come, first serve (pay at counter) reservations. That's not to say your rental vehicle wouldn't be brought over from another site while you wait but there is a possibility if, let's say, you show up at 8am on a Friday morning before a long weekend and there are 20 reservations for that time with only 10 vehicles on site the location likely won't rush vehicles over to satisfy all rentals until paid for.

Having said that, your particular quote stipulates exactly what's covered under the terms and conditions with the slight discount of paying ahead of time to secure your vehicle so it's not dead weight on the lot. A reservation paid for prior will incur a cancellation fee if you do so more than 24 hours before scheduled pick with a higher cancellation fee less than 24 hours before scheduled pick up.

If you're dealing with a major brand, feel free to call their customer service line and pick their brain about any and all questions. One important thing to remember: when walking up to your rental vehicle be sure to document (pictures on your phone) any damage you see around the entire vehicle, including rims, below the vehicle as best as you can see, windshield, and the roof. Ensure the attendant notes the damage found on file in addition to your contract. Also verify the fuel level displayed is the same as noted on the contract for return. And if you're a smoker do not smoke in the vehicle - not even with the windows rolled down.
This is the most important thing to do aside from making sure your insurance is covered.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2434 posts
1353 upvotes
engineered wrote:
May 8th, 2019 11:10 am
Same rental company? Or was it a sleazy one like EZ or Advantage (apparently they like to tack on false extra charges according to many reddit complaints).
Costco is Enterprise (Standard) and Slash was Hertz (Intermediate)
Jan 19, 2006
423 posts
198 upvotes
BC
I don't suggest pre-paying for a rental unless there is a reasonable cancellation policy. If you are delayed you might be kissing the pre-payment goodbye.

Book your best deal at:

Rental Car Low Price Finder | Costco Travel USA

Rental Car Low Price Finder | Costco Travel Canada

There are often price differences between the USA and Canada Costco Travel offerings. I usually create a several Costco bookings for different car sizes and check the prices at around 4 to 6 weeks prior to the date I need to pick it up. Costco automatically provides the second driver at no charge. A few days before my trip I cancel all reservations except the one I want to use.

It is worth the time to enroll with the rental car company loyalty programs. The main benefit is that you can bypass the main counter and head straight to the car lot kiosk saving you time. If they issue you a car and you are renting for more than a couple days make certain ask them to give you a vehicle you are happy with. We have nicely asked them change the issued vehicle to a newer cleaner vehicle, and although it may delay you, they usually try to please you. The Hertz Gold program (free) also gets you a free second driver. Once registered with the program associated with your rental, you can usually provide personal information needed to "check in" your rental so that you may bypass the main counter massive, slow line-ups.

I always decline rental car offered insurances in North America (Mexico excluded). Your credit card may provide CDW (collision damage waiver) as long as the rental is paid fully on that credit card. ICBC Roadside Plus covers 3rd party liability. Be aware that it is best to have the Roadside Plus holder be the primary on the rental agreement so it will enact the 3rd party coverage. I have submitted CDW claims to my credit card insurer, but be familiar with their claim submission requirements. Don't rent a vehicle that has a replacement cost over $40k USD because if you total the vehicle, the credit card CDW may cover this as they will only fully cover vehicles of a lesser MSRP.

Register your reservation with:

Track Your Car Rental Price | AutoSlash | #1 for Cheap Car Rentals AutoSlash asks if you have various memberships and credit cards as there are often promotions associated with those that you many not ever learn of. Our last rental was a one way PHX to LAS and Autoslash shot me to Priceline where it was $100 USD less. The rental was Hertz, so I registered with their Gold loyalty membership to gain free second driver.

Europe: I have used this Ashland OR outfit. You need to email or call for a quote. Europe Car Rental Quote Gemut.com
Sep 13, 2012
634 posts
286 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
cloudsuck wrote:
May 8th, 2019 11:41 am
There are often price differences between the USA and Canada Costco Travel offerings. I usually create a several Costco bookings for different car sizes and check the prices at around 4 to 6 weeks prior to the date I need to pick it up. Costco automatically provides the second driver at no charge. A few days before my trip I cancel all reservations except the one I want to use.
The more reservations entered the higher the (artificial) demand therefore the higher the price quoted for everyone. Generally speaking you want to do your homework which I figure would be a good 10-15 minutes of research through the various discount sites but typically I'll expect higher pricing regardless during busy seasons and factor that in as well. Ideally you want to judge pricing 2 weeks or so prior: that Monday or Tuesday I'll visit the Costco site and obtain a quote for that Friday for the number of days desired as a baseline when I book the following week for the Friday the week after that (as an example). If each traveler has 4-5 reservations in place demand appears to be 4-5X higher than it actually is which doesn't help anyone's cause with the issue being seldom few actually follow up and cancel the unwanted reservations so the price never really drops.
Jan 19, 2006
423 posts
198 upvotes
BC
100Pacer wrote:
May 8th, 2019 12:52 pm
The more reservations entered the higher the (artificial) demand therefore the higher the price quoted for everyone. Generally speaking you want to do your homework which I figure would be a good 10-15 minutes of research through the various discount sites but typically I'll expect higher pricing regardless during busy seasons and factor that in as well. Ideally you want to judge pricing 2 weeks or so prior: that Monday or Tuesday I'll visit the Costco site and obtain a quote for that Friday for the number of days desired as a baseline when I book the following week for the Friday the week after that (as an example). If each traveler has 4-5 reservations in place demand appears to be 4-5X higher than it actually is which doesn't help anyone's cause with the issue being seldom few actually follow up and cancel the unwanted reservations so the price never really drops.
Checking Costco's rental car pricing only takes a minute or two. I end up doing a price check a few times throughout the day at about a month out, and have seen price drops and price differences USA vs Canada Costco travel offerings. The "several" reservations I might hold are one at the very lowest price available, regardless of class/type/vehicle, and one of the vehicle desired vehicle class/type/vehicle/vendor priced lowest. As new reservations are made due to price drops, I cancel the higher priced ones.

I agree with you that if everyone held 4 to 5 reservations, "artificial demand" it might skew prices higher, especially if the reservations not intended to be used are never cancelled. The majority of consumers simply make a single reservation that meets their needs and just accept the price at time of this reservation, and never once revisit the issue.