Automotive

Car rental options in GTA

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2022 7:00 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2020
867 posts
476 upvotes

Car rental options in GTA

Looking for some car rental options for 2 or 3 days to accommodate more guests.
Came across https://turo.com/ where it seems private car owners are renting cars/suvs and prices look reasonable.
Please share your thoughts/pros/cons if anyone has any experience with this or any other suggestions much appreciated.
9 replies
Jr. Member
Feb 16, 2010
134 posts
48 upvotes
I have used TURO a couple of times, no issues.
Just check the prior reviews...
Its almost like you booking an Air bnb
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
How do I trust the vehicle is properly maintained by the owner?
And if there is an accident, what is the coverage? To what amount?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Slightly off topic but I don't understand how a car owner is willing to rent their personal car out to a stranger for few hundred dollars or maybe even less.

If they used the car to play burn out, 2 tires's cost are more than the profit you got from the rental, there are also other concerns about how some people can just "destroy" your car.
I understand they can do that when they rent from a car company, but that's company's fleet versus this is your personal car and you deal with the repairs, tear and wear, etc... on your own.
As we all know, cars parts and mechanic's labor is not cheap in Canada.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Aug 19th, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Member
Nov 7, 2017
413 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would check the reviews and go off that. My first and only experience with Turo wasn't the best. A friend and I booked a Porsche Cayenne a couple months ago for a day trip. We got there and it was like at a used car dealership. The guy came out and started the Cayenne, black smoke came out and it sounded like there was something wrong. We got in and found out the window switches were coming out on both driver and passenger sides and when driving it, the tranny was not smooth at all. We did get to our destination 2 hours away and back safely though. Cost was like $90 all-in for the day.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2020
867 posts
476 upvotes
BDSL wrote: How do I trust the vehicle is properly maintained by the owner?
And if there is an accident, what is the coverage? To what amount?
I guess that anyway depends on whether your rental car is covered by your Insurance company.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18054 posts
12776 upvotes
Markham
MP3_SKY wrote: Slightly off topic but I don't understand how a car owner is willing to rent their personal car out to a stranger for few hundred dollars or maybe even less.

If they used the car to play burn out, 2 tires's cost are more than the profit you got from the rental, there are also other concerns about how some people can just "destroy" your car.
I understand they can do that when they rent from a car company, but that's company's fleet versus this is your personal car and you deal with the repairs, tear and wear, etc... on your own.
As we all know, cars parts and mechanic's labor is not cheap in Canada.
Bumping this thread as I'm investigating renting a minivan thru Turo right now.

For regular ppl renting regular vehicles, ppl can "lend" our their periodically used vehicles to make a little money/cover costs. It can be a decent money maker if the car is inexpensive eg. a Dodge Caravan. Renting out high end vehicles to me is stupid...if you can afford a Porsche why would you need to make a few dollars renting it out likely knowing the person renting it might do burn outs. For regular vehicles, you're probably renting to a regular person who will treat your vehicle like their own or safer as they don't want to damage it and owe money.

Eg Car rental companies do not carry many mini vans and when they do rent them out, they rent them for crazy rates per day. Because of that, owners of mini vans can rent them for pretty good money on Turo.

My quick investigation, a owner can rent their minivan for $60-$100/day more or less, $420-$700/week. Depends on location and supply and demand in your area, the $60/day is roughly GTA. Considering that van might only be worth $10k-$20k, there's pretty good payback [older vehicles might rent for same $/day as newer vehicles as it has utility value]. Re. maintenance, if it's your own vehicle, and this is a side gig, you're already maintaining for yourself.

Here's a guy who does Turo as a real side gig business buying lower value vehicles and "sharing" them out. He says he makes $20k/yr sharing out eight vehicles on Turo.

https://torontolife.com/life/this-guy-m ... -pandemic/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4327 posts
1414 upvotes
Brampton
gr8dlr wrote: Renting out high end vehicles to me is stupid...if you can afford a Porsche why would you need to make a few dollars renting it out likely knowing the person renting it might do burn outs.
Because you cant actually afford a Porsche.
Turo marketed their service as a way to supplement car payments on high end vehicles and some take that chance...
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
18054 posts
12776 upvotes
Markham
prod wrote: Because you cant actually afford a Porsche.
Turo marketed their service as a way to supplement car payments on high end vehicles and some take that chance...
I understand why Turo would want it but I don't understand why a person who owns one would want to lend it out.

Don't want to car share my high end vehicle to these guys....

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)