Car Rental With RBC Visa Debit

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2016 2:59 pm
Apr 13, 2017
84 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton

Car Rental With RBC Visa Debit

Does anyone know if any of the car rental companies within Canada accept the Visa Debit card for a car rental instead of a credit card. I need to hire a car in Edmonton this weekend and will not have MY new new credit card posted out in time. Just wondering will they accept if for the hold/deposit as long as there is enough money on the card. If not is there another way around it with any of the companies.

Cheers
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
The RBC Virtual Visa Debit card is designed for online, telephone or mail transactions only, and only with those merchants that accept Visa Debit. (In Canada, a merchant that accepts Visa does not necessarily accept Visa Debit.)

I'd call the car rental agency and explain the situation. They might offer an alternative (such as leaving a deposit in cash or through Interac Debit).
Last edited by airodyssey on Oct 4th, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
Try booking online and if goes through. Depending on how they check you may be fine. Normally they don't ask to see he card at pickup.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
duderaf wrote: Try booking online and if goes through. Depending on how they check you may be fine. Normally they don't ask to see he card at pickup.
In my case (with Discount Rent-a-car), it was the opposite. I booked online and wasn't asked for a credit card. When I went to the agency to pick up the car, I was asked to provide a credit card (which was subject to a $350 preauthorization).
Apr 13, 2017
84 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks, ive found that when i either pay up front online or not ive always been asked for a card in the drivers name as a deposit.
Jun 21, 2016
211 posts
55 upvotes
Most rental companies don't require a credit card to hold a reservation but they require one at time of pick up (with a hold on the card) or a cash deposit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
When picking up a rental for a car insurance claim (I think it was Budget), I only had my Visa Debit (not RBC) with me, and they wouldn't accept it, even though I wasn't even the one paying for the rental (insurance was). This was in Canada. Thinking back, I wonder if it has something to do with Visa Debit cards using Interac network instead of Visa for Canadian PoS (in-person) transactions.

Recently when renting from Budget in the US, a guy in front of me was turned away for using a prepaid Visa, even though he could show that the money on the card was enough to cover the rental & hold. The guy at the counter said a Visa Debit (or Visa Check Card I think they refer to it as) would work, just not a prepaid. This may make sense though, since as I understand it, Visa Debit cards use the Visa network when you're in other countries. There is no Interac in the US.