Car rental Seattle to Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 4:00 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
330 posts
124 upvotes

Car rental Seattle to Vancouver

Seems like there is no 1 way car renrlas available from Seattle to Vancouver. Possibly any American city to canada . All rental car websites are giving zero results

Also what is the the usual rate for 1 way rentals to canada
I seen a price recently around $800 for 1 day ppl

Also is there any other alternatives to getting to canada by land? Taxi, bus, train?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16028 posts
4860 upvotes
London
One way US rental to location near the border crossing
uber to the border crossing,
walk across,
call another uber on the other side to a cdn rental car location
one way cdn rental to home
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36046 posts
10144 upvotes
Ottawa
"Does Budget Allow One-Way Rentals into Canada?
Based on availability at each location, one-way rentals to Canada may be allowed. In order to check the availability of such rentals, renters should fill in an online reservation form and set their preferred pickup and drop-off locations. "

https://www.budget.com/en/help/usa-faqs ... nto-canada
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You have to select the right rental locations For Seattle, it may have to be at SEA airport (with its extortionate/onerous states and local taxes and airport user fees, expect to pay 30% or more of daily rental). Similarly, you have to select the right drop-off locations in Vancouver, either airport or maybe downtown. At least that was the situation pre-COVID. Rates are usually very high with some Km allowance, or lower with no or limited Km allowance, and watch for drop-off fees.

Try the big carrentalcos. I've had luck with National, at IIRC also Hertz, Avis and maybe Budget in the past.

As for transportation pre-COVID, there were flights (hometown Alaska Airlines, maybe Delta and AC), bus (Quick Shuttle and Bolt) and train (Amtrak direct 2x daily - more connections with to bus at Bellinghham). I guess you could do U-Haul in a pinch.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2391 posts
781 upvotes
V12izm wrote: Seems like there is no 1 way car renrlas available from Seattle to Vancouver. Possibly any American city to canada . All rental car websites are giving zero results

Also is there any other alternatives to getting to canada by land? Taxi, bus, train?
I do see $324.00US for a premium vehicle (only one available) total picking up at Seattle airport and returning to YVR for a 24 hour rental through Costco with Alamo and unlimited mileage. Looks like the same rate regardless of the date.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
330 posts
124 upvotes
l69norm wrote: One way US rental to location near the border crossing
uber to the border crossing,
walk across,
call another uber on the other side to a cdn rental car location
one way cdn rental to home
This is good advice
So question is there a designated spot at the border crossing for drop offs
There's a separate lane or way for walk crossing?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3159 posts
2131 upvotes
Toronto
The other side of the equation seems to be easier. I have to drive to the US to clear out a condo I'm renting before the lease expires (paid the last 11 months without stepping foot in it) and before my TN expires.

CAD$140 all-in from Toronto to Georgia from National. Emerald Aisle, unlimited mileage.

I figure there must be a few cars up here that need to head back - will be interesting to see what plates I see on the cars available.

I'm driving my personal vehicle back - it's been there for a couple of years now. Didn't want to fly down as there are no direct flights and would rather just drive alone for 2 days.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
V12izm wrote: This is good advice
Not so for various reasons. Closest you're going to get for dropping off a car is Bellingham airport (BLI) assuming you can do a one-way there. Still a ~20 minute full highway speed drive to the border (Blaine).
So question is there a designated spot at the border crossing for drop offs
There's a separate lane or way for walk crossing?
Have you ever crossed this border? There's two major crossing; the I-5 and the "truck crossing. The U.S. side of the I-5 one has been redesigned. However, it is still a good walk from where you can be dropped off to walk to the Canadian side. Looks like the best drop off is the parking lot for the Peace Arch park on the U.S. side. About 500 m walk, looks like on the left hand side of the northbound lanes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blain ... 22.7471191

The other is the truck crossing. You may be able to be dropped off in the parking lot immediately south of the U.S. immigration and customs office, then walk across to the Canadian side. Maybe 300m in all.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blain ... 22.7471191

In either case, don't use the regular highway lanes as the point of no return (or "last exit before border") is quite a ways (D Street for both crossings).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8587 posts
1487 upvotes
Vancouver
I’ve only crossed on the rainbow bridge to/from Niagara Falls which has a designated pedestrian path. Pre covid taxi would cross the border with no issues.

I would check with CBSA to see approved pedestrian crossings. You could face fines for illegally walking along US highways near the border. I think you’d throw a real fork at Canada customs if you’re made it to the border as theyd likely have to process you but I’d be careful.

Best of luck probably best to suck it up and rent a car. I’d also try and call the location to confirm.

Grabbing a u haul might not be the worst idea.

Could also walk across the border illegally. Doesn’t seem to be a problem at roxham road
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
GangStarr wrote: I would check with CBSA to see approved pedestrian crossings. You could face fines for illegally walking along US highways near the border. I think you’d throw a real fork at Canada customs if you’re made it to the border as theyd likely have to process you but I’d be careful.
Peace Arch is fine. There is even a park where you can meet someone across the border (lots of separated couples/families doing this right now) and looks like there is a walkway from the park's parking lot on the US. side.

There is a crosswalk between the two stations at the commercial /"truck" crossing so people who are riding busses and are denied entry can go home.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8587 posts
1487 upvotes
Vancouver
thriftshopper wrote: Peace Arch is fine. There is even a park where you can meet someone across the border (lots of separated couples/families doing this right now) and looks like there is a walkway from the park's parking lot on the US. side.

There is a crosswalk between the two stations at the commercial /"truck" crossing so people who are riding busses and are denied entry can go home.
Thanks unless my google skills suck (which umm got me through my university and daily in my career lol) I can’t seem to find official confirmation on CBSA.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Well, due to popularity for COVID flouting, Peach Arch park on the Canadian side is closed.

https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/peace_arch/

Map to get to the U.S. side of the park.

https://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCente ... e-Park-PDF

If it was open, getting to the Canadian side.

https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/peac ... 3619932636
[OP]
Nov 23, 2017
330 posts
124 upvotes
Driving through on a one way rental still seems like the best option. Except all the companies will be price gouging to the extreme with the new quarantine rules for flights

Uhual is a good option? I guess I'll take truck to get back
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10038 posts
12003 upvotes
Vancouver
V12izm wrote: Seems like there is no 1 way car renrlas available from Seattle to Vancouver. Possibly any American city to canada . All rental car websites are giving zero results

It's possible to take public transit from Bellingham (where you can return a rental car) to Blaine, and then walk across the border at Peace Arch. But then you will be immediately subject to quarantine, and you need to present a plan to CBSA on how to get from the border to your quarantine area. You won't be able to use public transit on this side of the border. Taxi to direct to your destination is probably your best bet. This all seems like such a headache trying to do Seattle to Vancouver by land, without your own vehicle, during a pandemic. Can't you just fly?
Mar 3, 2009
861 posts
333 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kiraly wrote: This all seems like such a headache trying to do Seattle to Vancouver by land, without your own vehicle, during a pandemic. Can't you just fly?
I'm guessing the OP doesn't want a 3 day $2000 mandatory incarceration at an airport hotel after they land.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2270 posts
469 upvotes
Ancaster, ON

Worst case rent a Uhaul van, they allow one ways because typically those are rentals for moves. Not fancy but will do the job. Or book an airport limo that is doing cross border.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8587 posts
1487 upvotes
Vancouver
Find a deal on an ebike ship it to a Blaine bike shop for finally assembly ask them to charge battery.

Should have enough charge to get you to a bus with a rack on the canadian side

Sell it in Canada!
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5643 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
GangStarr wrote: Find a deal on an ebike ship it to a Blaine bike shop for finally assembly ask them to charge battery.
The question if is there such in Blaine. Pretty sad-looking town, and gets sadder as the years go back.

Bellingham would work, if said bike had ~35-40 Km range.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10038 posts
12003 upvotes
Vancouver
GangStarr wrote: Find a deal on an ebike ship it to a Blaine bike shop for finally assembly ask them to charge battery.

Should have enough charge to get you to a bus with a rack on the canadian side

Sell it in Canada!
You can't get on a public transit bus after crossing the border into Canada. You must go straight to quarantine, which doesn't include getting on a transit bus to get there. Just ride the bike all the way home. I've done that many times from the border to Vancouver on a regular (non-E) bike.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5349 posts
1510 upvotes
Toronto
This isn't applicable to OP directly, but for those people returning home to Toronto, just fly in to Buffalo, Uber to the rainbow bridge, and walk across.

I strongly suspect (and hope, for the sake of our airlines) that the absurd hotel imprisonment will be removed in May, so you can also just wait until then.