• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2014 7:21 pm
Tags:
May 12, 2014
19 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Car Rental: Toronto-Rhode Island-Toronto

Long time reader and delurking for first time. I am planning to visit Rhode Island (RI) with some of my friends (6/7 people) and to save money, we are looking to rent a 7-seater. Reading through older posts, it looks Enterprise doesn't allow rentals into US. I have used Discount in the past but only within Ontario. I am planning to call up Budget, Avis, National and Hertz to find their rates. I thought it would be a good idea to post here as well before calling these car rentals. The total distance is about 940 kms one way (most rentals only allow 300km/day) but we will not be driving much in RI, just swimming and hanging out by the ocean. The plan is to leave Toronto early Saturday morning (June 28) and be back in Toronto on Canada Day (yay!).

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your suggestions!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
annapurna wrote: Long time reader and delurking for first time. I am planning to visit Rhode Island (RI) with some of my friends (6/7 people) and to save money, we are looking to rent a 7-seater. Reading through older posts, it looks Enterprise doesn't allow rentals into US. I have used Discount in the past but only within Ontario. I am planning to call up Budget, Avis, National and Hertz to find their rates. I thought it would be a good idea to post here as well before calling these car rentals. The total distance is about 940 kms one way (most rentals only allow 300km/day) but we will not be driving much in RI, just swimming and hanging out by the ocean. The plan is to leave Toronto early Saturday morning (June 28) and be back in Toronto on Canada Day (yay!).

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your suggestions!
With Alamo picking up at YYZ using Costco Code 7014627 and Coupon AD2824NAD for $25 off a minivan is $353 inc taxes with unlimited mileage which includes US (call to confirm). I used Jun 27 pickup 9pm return Jul 1 @ 9pm.
May 12, 2014
19 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks webworm. That's a great deal! When I was looking around last night, the cost was closer to $1000. I will confirm the booking later tonight and hopefully I get a similar price. I hope they don't ask for a proof of costco membership when I pick up the car (although I can show them my sister's card). My only concern using the Costco code is if I get into an accident, their full insurance (plus my credit card insurance) will cover it and I don't face the wrath of Alamo for not having Costco membership
May 27, 2008
289 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
annapurna wrote: Thanks webworm. That's a great deal! When I was looking around last night, the cost was closer to $1000. I will confirm the booking later tonight and hopefully I get a similar price. I hope they don't ask for a proof of costco membership when I pick up the car (although I can show them my sister's card). My only concern using the Costco code is if I get into an accident, their full insurance (plus my credit card insurance) will cover it and I don't face the wrath of Alamo for not having Costco membership
With that much of a savings, why don't you just buy a Costco membership? Even if you never use the membership for anything else, the savings on the car more than covers the cost. Then you'll have peace of mind about the rental.
May 12, 2014
19 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks encinc, didn't think of Costco membership. I am moving out of my parents to a neighborhood that happens to have a Costco nearby as well.

Finally, since my younger brother and sister wants to come on the trip, I have decided to look at the premium SUV for safety reasons. These are some of the prices I have come across:
1. Costotravel: $937.89 (includes Roadside assistance - $9.99/day)
2. Budget: $1079 (includes Roadside assistance - $9.99/day; Loss Damage Waiver - $31.95/day)

The Costcotravel did not show the Loss Damage Waiver option and I am assuming it's included as the Budget website mentions that if one cannot "deselect" this LDW option, it's included already. If anyone can confirm, would be much appreciated.

For Budget, I used the code W852802 (thanks webworm, I found this code in the other post). I found another Engineer Canada code A177690 but that's didn't give me much discount (for some reason, it was cheaper when I removed the code!).

I confirmed with both Alamo and Budget that they allow travel across continental North America (except for Alaska and Mexico). However, premium SUV category doesn't seem to allow unlimited miles (I hope someone can prove me wrong here). For the five day rental, Budget currently allows 1,400kms and I am planning to add another 1,000kms just as a precautionary measure. This would cost me additional $180 ($.18/km).

I will follow up again tomorrow to confirm the unlimited miles and the LDW option on CostcoTravel. Will update here accordingly. Thanks again everyone!
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1168 posts
423 upvotes
Do you have a credit card that includes CDW - a lot of them cover this? If you have car insurance in Ontario, you can usually add a clause to your policy to cover LDW for roughly $30 per year.

Why would you spend $937.89 for a premium SUV over $353 for a minivan, especially when the exact type of car you get is not guaranteed.
May 12, 2014
19 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone for your tips. Got the minivan and looking forward to the trip!