• May 6th, 2021 1:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4309 posts
1960 upvotes
Quebec

Car repair asking for lot of info

I just contacted some random guy on kijiji that apparently repair car, i wanted to meet him in person to show him the damage so he can make a good estimation.

Instead, he ask me for the vin witch i find it totally legit and some pictures. My car is black, almost everything is black on my car and the damage doesn't show clearly on the pic.

Anyway, then he ask me, my name, phone number...for now everything is alright, then.....my adresse. All this before giving me his adress for me to go to show him my car in person.

Maybe i paranoy little bit, but because he avoid to provide the adress of his shop or garage (i amnot asking for his personal adress for he live) and asking for mine (i understand the adress could be used for the invoice, but he doesn't event see the car yet) is little bit sketchy...

Is that a new norm in the industry? Im from Quebec btw
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32080 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
maybe the guy is asking to see if you lived in one of those so called covid "hot spots" ?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28731 posts
9336 upvotes
Hamilton
Kijiji mechanic? Asking for a disaster to happen
hated on but respected.
Jul 24, 2008
215 posts
220 upvotes
Go to a reputable shop. And if shops ask for vin is because they need to look up parts
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2657 posts
2656 upvotes
Ottawa
STIFanatic wrote: Go to a reputable shop. And if shops ask for vin is because they need to look up parts
Shop has the VIN as soon as you drop the car off anyway.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
I would be hesitant to give that much personal information to a stranger over kijiji. Maybe I would be willing to give information without visiting the shop in person, if it was an established shop, and the communication was done through email addressed to that shop. But definitely not through the anonymous kijiji system. It could be anyone posing as a mechanic with some fake pictures and an ad.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2273 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
He probably just does book keeping with his business. If anything I would be more confident leaving my car with the guy... Having your information on file at least shows that he is somewhat organized at the very least.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
Always wondered why VIN is asked instead of model year and make? Is it bec ppl don't know what exact model year and car they drive?

For example, model year 2007 Acura MDX 4WD base (eg not tech) would that not be sufficient info to buy correct/exact part? (I find it odd vin is asked here too whereas in Asia eg Singapore it's usually just make, model and year of vehicle)...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1476 posts
792 upvotes
Vancouver
LPGA2020 wrote: Always wondered why VIN is asked instead of model year and make? Is it bec ppl don't know what exact model year and car they drive?

For example, model year 2007 Acura MDX 4WD base (eg not tech) would that not be sufficient info to buy correct/exact part? (I find it odd vin is asked here too whereas in Asia eg Singapore it's usually just make, model and year of vehicle)...
Probably cuz they don't want to get it wrong. Nowadays different trims can mean different brakes, suspension, headlights etc. Alot of European cars also don't really go by trim, but packages/equipment get added a la carte depending on the configuration. Getting the VIN takes the guesswork out when they call the dealer/parts store to get parts.

When I've called dealerships for parts they go by VIN if it's not something super simple like wipers or oil filters.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7700 posts
6891 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: Always wondered why VIN is asked instead of model year and make? Is it bec ppl don't know what exact model year and car they drive?

model year and make doesn't mean much for parts. automakers change parts during the model year all the time and some vehicles despite same model, year, trim and even time of built may use different parts depending which factory it came from

VIN is needed for correct parts

eg for a 2007 mdx, there can be different parts depending which week it was built
Last edited by StatsGuy on May 5th, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20563 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto
Next he will ask for your SIN, bank account, etc.
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
StatsGuy wrote: model year and make doesn't mean much for parts. automakers change parts during the model year all the time and some vehicles despite same model, year, trim and even time of built may use different parts depending which factory it came from

eg for a 2007 mdx, there can be different parts depending which week it was built
Wow didn't know that... Learn something new everyday...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7700 posts
6891 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Next he will ask for your SIN, bank account, etc.
nice that kijiji mechanic can also provide financing plans for expensive repairs !
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2657 posts
2656 upvotes
Ottawa
StatsGuy wrote: model year and make doesn't mean much for parts. automakers change parts during the model year all the time and some vehicles despite same model, year, trim and even time of built may use different parts depending which factory it came from

I have a 2013 Corolla LE that was manufactured Dec 2012.

They changed a bunch of things in the 2013 model in early 2013. It was enough to require an updated operator's manual for anything manufactured starting in X month of 2013.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto

Totally this, same for the GMT800s.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Oct 16, 2019
298 posts
283 upvotes
Why go to Kijiji for an mechanic? What's next? Kijini for surgery?

I swear some people here always pick the sketchiest people to do business with, and then complained they got scammed, jeez

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)