Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3396 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto

Car Sale - Any Steps I need to take?

Sold a vehicle to a Quebec (Montreal) resident

Gave him sellers portion of ownership signed off

I have my portion of ownership and plates (they are custom)

Do i do anything further? Do i have to tell/go to the ministry at all?

Or once he registers it takes care of itself?

Haven’t sold private in many many years - just want to ensure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks.
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3396 posts
999 upvotes
Toronto
Yea he paid me already

But am I supposed to go ministry to cancel plates?

Or does him registering in quebec cancel them ?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4230 posts
4374 upvotes
GTA
Not sure how it works with custom plates, but with standard plates you can surrender them to Service Ontario and get a refund for the unused portion of the license sticker. I imagine that you don't want to surrender your custom plates.

The only other thing you could do now is inform Service Ontario that the car has been sold. But this is an optional step, most people don't do it.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15368 posts
3695 upvotes
Toronto
I would go with him to make sure that he registers the car. If not you are still listed as the last registered owner so any fines/fees that rack up come on to you. Have him send you proof that the vehicle was registered and insured as well.

Too many times people think that once they cancel the plates and let the MTO know, that is the end of it and it is wrong.

Things to keep in mind:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/selli ... tial-scams

https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... seman.html

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-woma ... -1.5191473

As bad as this sounds, think like a crook and treat people with skepticism to protect yourself. You don't know the buyer so make sure you are 100% covered in all situations.

This is why I just trade my vehicle in to the Dealership or to a company that buys used vehicles. Companies like Auto Showplace car trade-in feature, Auto Planet, or the Autotrader trade-in service will give you an online quote for your vehicle. You can then schedule a visit to these places to have them do a proper appraisal and give you a quote and sell your vehicle on the spot.

Sure, I can get more $$ privately, but the headaches/hassles and my time is not really worth it. Once they buy it, every little thing they will nag you for. At a dealership, if they try that, the dealer will tell them where to go as they are used to it.

Also, put a receipt together that he is picking up the vehicle at the day and time and have him sign it and give him a copy. This way, if he drives it and hits someone/something, he can't say that sorry your car and take his payment away.

Out of curiosity, what year/make/model is the vehicle you sold and how much did you get for it?
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29114 posts
9620 upvotes
wmahmud wrote: Yea he paid me already

But am I supposed to go ministry to cancel plates?
You should cancel the plates, yes; but there are still caveats like hightech mentioned.

You can also transfer the plates to a new/another vehicle instead of turning them in.