Locked: Car sales are non-essential = no test drives

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 4:40 pm
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes

Car sales are non-essential = no test drives

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the current situation regarding dealerships and test driving cars... since the emergency order, car sales are considered non-essential, therefore showrooms were ordered to close and provide sales via online or risk being fined by OMVIC if caught. While this is ok for new cars, I cannot understand how one can possibly buy a used car without going for a test drive... I certainly never would. I know that most dealers are offering a return policy ranging from a few days to a week and up to 500km, so to me this seems the only way around the no test driving, but to go through the hassle of buying a car and then returning it because you don't like it just seems silly. It would probably be easier if one paid cash, but if you apply for financing and then return your car, you just hit your credit score for no reason.

I'm currently looking to buy a car but unfortunately I can't because I will not buy without first seeing the car in person and secondly going for a test drive... I think these things are essential (no pun intended) on used cars
Share:
28 replies
May 18, 2018
456 posts
381 upvotes
Unless the return policy is no questions asked and extended up to a month, I would never do this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
cb8888 wrote: I know that most dealers are offering a return policy ranging from a few days to a week and up to 500km, so to me this seems the only way around the no test driving, but to go through the hassle of buying a car and then returning it because you don't like it just seems silly. It would probably be easier if one paid cash, but if you apply for financing and then return your car, you just hit your credit score for no reason.

I'm currently looking to buy a car but unfortunately I can't because I will not buy without first seeing the car in person and secondly going for a test drive... I think these things are essential (no pun intended) on used cars
No you shouldn't return the car because "you don't like it", whether it is now during the COVID, or at normal times. It would be silly of you to return the car because you don't like it

They give you 500km to do a full drive test, that's a lot of km and a lot of time to figure out if something is wrong with the car, you could then return it.
Even in normal time, if you see the car in person, are going for a test drive, or test drives, you won't be able to return the car as soon as you signed the paper.
Your credit score will be hit for a little bit. But unless you are planning to buy a house in the next 2-3 months, what's there to worry about? And if you are buying a house that soon, should you be making other big purchases now? You are making that many big purchases every month to think about credit score?

I agree paperwork is cumbersome, but time is different.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
What dealer is asking the OP to pay for a car without driving it? Just picked up a '17 Golf from Pickering VW. Drove the car before any $$$ was exchanged. I don't quite understand what issues the OP is having.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
konsensei wrote: No you shouldn't return the car because "you don't like it", whether it is now during the COVID, or at normal times. It would be silly of you to return the car because you don't like it

They give you 500km to do a full drive test, that's a lot of km and a lot of time to figure out if something is wrong with the car, you could then return it.
Even in normal time, if you see the car in person, are going for a test drive, or test drives, you won't be able to return the car as soon as you signed the paper.
Your credit score will be hit for a little bit. But unless you are planning to buy a house in the next 2-3 months, what's there to worry about? And if you are buying a house that soon, should you be making other big purchases now? You are making that many big purchases every month to think about credit score?

Maybe the "i don't like it" part was misunderstood. I don't buy cars I don't like, I meant don't like as in there is something wrong or I find something hidden on the car which I otherwise would've found when test driving the car or getting a pre purchase inspection at a mechanic.

And why on earth would I sign papers and take a hit on my credit score unnecessarily so I can "test drive" the car and bring it to a mechanic, only to potentially find unwanted things on the car AFTER I already bought it, and then have to go through the hassle of returning it to the dealership, which will probably find any excuse to not take it back... I've worked at dealerships before and have dealt with too many to know how shady they are.

FWIW, I would buy the car cash either way so my credit score wouldn't be affected, I just can't fathom how people think buying a used car sight unseen is a good idea... dealers are going to be taking advantage of people even more with this whole online sales thing
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: What dealer is asking the OP to pay for a car without driving it? Just picked up a '17 Golf from Pickering VW. Drove the car before any $$$ was exchanged. I don't quite understand what issues the OP is having.
All dealers as per omvic... not sure how you managed to test drive the car but good for you

https://canada.autonews.com/coronavirus ... -penalties

I called several dealers asking to test drive and they said no we won't risk getting a fine from omvic
Last edited by cb8888 on Apr 21st, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
cb8888 wrote: All dealers as per omvic... not sure how you managed to test drive the car but good for you

https://canada.autonews.com/coronavirus ... -penalties
Deposit, test drive, purchase. If the car wasn't what I wanted deposit would be refunded.

Simple stuff.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
330 posts
407 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Deposit, test drive, purchase. If the car wasn't what I wanted deposit would be refunded.

Simple stuff.
Yea then like I said seems you got lucky that the dealer let you go for a test drive because as I just said, most places I called refuse to let me take a car for a drive.

How long ago was this by the way?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5933 posts
4593 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: Deposit, test drive, purchase. If the car wasn't what I wanted deposit would be refunded.

Simple stuff.
Well, now you can take the sale receipt and go to dealer and say give me my $ back and I'm keeping the car OR I'll go to OMVIC to report you. :D

That said, it won't be the 1st business to defy public health order if you indeed got a car the last few weeks. And it won't be the last.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1117 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
cb8888 wrote: Yea then like I said seems you got lucky that the dealer let you go for a test drive because as I just said, most places I called refuse to let me take a car for a drive.

In late March my dealer told me they doing the same thing mxthor3 described. They closed the showroom but would drop off the car at your house for a test drive. Did not hear about OMVIC fines or if the rules changed recently.

Car sales are down to record lows so people are thinking like you and simply not buying.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2585 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe they think you aren't serious?

My friend just bought a car last week, after the dealerships were closed. He got to test drive the car for 2 days unlimited kms, liked the car traded his in and bought this one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
cb8888 wrote: Maybe the "i don't like it" part was misunderstood. I don't buy cars I don't like, I meant don't like as in there is something wrong or I find something hidden on the car which I otherwise would've found when test driving the car or getting a pre purchase inspection at a mechanic.

And why on earth would I sign papers and take a hit on my credit score unnecessarily so I can "test drive" the car and bring it to a mechanic, only to potentially find unwanted things on the car AFTER I already bought it, and then have to go through the hassle of returning it to the dealership, which will probably find any excuse to not take it back... I've worked at dealerships before and have dealt with too many to know how shady they are.
you have 500km of test drive. You can drive as hard as you want, take it to 50 mechanics so they can inspect. The only difference is that whether the test drive and mechanic inspection are done before vs. after signing paper.
If they give you the option to return upon finding something wrong with the car, I don't see why it is an issue, just make sure the everything is black and white in the paper you sign.
Everybody reads and signs. If you don't read and only sign, that's already half of the blame.

And like I said, time is different, it is the best possible solution at the moment, unless you have something else that can work for both you and dealers, you should suggest. Otherwise everyone's got to make do with what's possible.

I feel like I am talking to my wife, nagging but there's nothing to do about it.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
cb8888 wrote: Yea then like I said seems you got lucky that the dealer let you go for a test drive because as I just said, most places I called refuse to let me take a car for a drive.

3 weeks.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Xtrema wrote: Well, now you can take the sale receipt and go to dealer and say give me my $ back and I'm keeping the car OR I'll go to OMVIC to report you. :D

That said, it won't be the 1st business to defy public health order if you indeed got a car the last few weeks. And it won't be the last.
I don't think they were breaking any rules at all. Car was purchased by my friend (who is a nurse and deemed essential) after hers was totaled. Car sales aren't banned, never have been.
Dec 28, 2010
637 posts
284 upvotes
My dealer offered a 'five day return', if we want to bring it back after purchase they will refund the money, I thought that was a good idea.
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3641 posts
3007 upvotes
From OMVIC:

"It is OMVIC’s opinion that once dealers were ordered closed, only online/phone sales are allowed. Therefore, taking a vehicle to a customer’s home for the purpose of a test drive violates the Emergency Order and its intention to protect the health of all Ontarians by lessening the spread of COVID-19. To help protect consumers and to ensure trust in the online purchase process, OMVIC encourages dealers to provide remote customers with a contract cancellation period."

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/NewsPubl ... dates.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7008 posts
5108 upvotes
Kitchener
Bought my Tesla without ever seeing it or driving one.........0 regrets.
May 18, 2018
456 posts
381 upvotes
konsensei wrote: No you shouldn't return the car because "you don't like it", whether it is now during the COVID, or at normal times. It would be silly of you to return the car because you don't like it

Why not return it if you don't like it? ESPECIALLY during Covid19 where you didn't even get a chance to test drive it before buying it. I'm sorry, but I'm not OK spending $20K - $30K on something I don't even like and I'm stuck driving it for a few years. That's a ridiculous statement.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
PanchoVilla wrote: Why not return it if you don't like it? ESPECIALLY during Covid19 where you didn't even get a chance to test drive it before buying it. I'm sorry, but I'm not OK spending $20K - $30K on something I don't even like and I'm stuck driving it for a few years. That's a ridiculous statement.
There are ways to drive the car without having to purchase them. Deposits folks! It's nothing new.
Oct 1, 2015
993 posts
1197 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Bought my Tesla without ever seeing it or driving one.........0 regrets.
Same with my 335d.