Locked: Car sales are non-essential = no test drives

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2020 4:40 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3516 posts
2867 upvotes
From OMVIC:

"It is OMVIC’s opinion that once dealers were ordered closed, only online/phone sales are allowed. Therefore, taking a vehicle to a customer’s home for the purpose of a test drive violates the Emergency Order and its intention to protect the health of all Ontarians by lessening the spread of COVID-19. To help protect consumers and to ensure trust in the online purchase process, OMVIC encourages dealers to provide remote customers with a contract cancellation period."

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/NewsPubl ... dates.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6621 posts
4614 upvotes
Kitchener
Bought my Tesla without ever seeing it or driving one.........0 regrets.
May 18, 2018
377 posts
299 upvotes
konsensei wrote: No you shouldn't return the car because "you don't like it", whether it is now during the COVID, or at normal times. It would be silly of you to return the car because you don't like it

They give you 500km to do a full drive test, that's a lot of km and a lot of time to figure out if something is wrong with the car, you could then return it.
Even in normal time, if you see the car in person, are going for a test drive, or test drives, you won't be able to return the car as soon as you signed the paper.
Your credit score will be hit for a little bit. But unless you are planning to buy a house in the next 2-3 months, what's there to worry about? And if you are buying a house that soon, should you be making other big purchases now? You are making that many big purchases every month to think about credit score?

I agree paperwork is cumbersome, but time is different.
Why not return it if you don't like it? ESPECIALLY during Covid19 where you didn't even get a chance to test drive it before buying it. I'm sorry, but I'm not OK spending $20K - $30K on something I don't even like and I'm stuck driving it for a few years. That's a ridiculous statement.
Oct 1, 2015
796 posts
965 upvotes
Barrie, ON
PanchoVilla wrote: Why not return it if you don't like it? ESPECIALLY during Covid19 where you didn't even get a chance to test drive it before buying it. I'm sorry, but I'm not OK spending $20K - $30K on something I don't even like and I'm stuck driving it for a few years. That's a ridiculous statement.
There are ways to drive the car without having to purchase them. Deposits folks! It's nothing new.
Oct 1, 2015
796 posts
965 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Bought my Tesla without ever seeing it or driving one.........0 regrets.
Same with my 335d.
May 18, 2018
377 posts
299 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: There are ways to drive the car without having to purchase them. Deposits folks! It's nothing new.
Sure, my point still applies, you don't like it you should be able to return it or get your deposit back no questions asked.
Oct 1, 2015
796 posts
965 upvotes
Barrie, ON
PanchoVilla wrote: Sure, my point still applies, you don't like it you should be able to return it or get your deposit back no questions asked.
You should know well before you ever drop 20-30k on a vehicle if you like it or not. Which was the point here I'm fairly certain.
May 18, 2018
377 posts
299 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: You should know well before you ever drop 20-30k on a vehicle if you like it or not. Which was the point here I'm fairly certain.
"No you shouldn't return the car because "you don't like it", whether it is now during the COVID, or at normal times. It would be silly of you to return the car because you don't like it"

I guess you see the point, I don't. As is always the case, you may think you like a car, but until you test drive it you won't know for sure. If during Covid19 you can't test it you should be able to return it because you just don't like it.

Done with this convo.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6828 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
PanchoVilla wrote: Why not return it if you don't like it? ESPECIALLY during Covid19 where you didn't even get a chance to test drive it before buying it. I'm sorry, but I'm not OK spending $20K - $30K on something I don't even like and I'm stuck driving it for a few years. That's a ridiculous statement.
Dude, read!
from OP's, the dealer gives you 500km to test drive. If you find something wrong, you can return. You dont return because the car is fugly and you "dont like it".
Last edited by konsensei on Apr 21st, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6828 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
PanchoVilla wrote: Sure, my point still applies, you don't like it you should be able to return it or get your deposit back no questions asked.
are you this woman? apparently, she didn't like the tree on Jan 3rd, so 4th it went back to costco for refund, no question ask
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
314 posts
397 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: You should know well before you ever drop 20-30k on a vehicle if you like it or not. Which was the point here I'm fairly certain.
Lol I don't think you get it... first off all 3 weeks ago as far as I know, test drives were still allowed as per the omvic regulations.

As of the this current second, you cannot test drive a car in Ontario. Period, no ifs, ands, or buts. No deposit, no the dealer bringing the car to your home, doesn't matter if you're an essential work

ABSOLUTELY NO TEST DRIVES, unless the dealer wants to risk getting caught and receiving a fine
konsensei wrote: you have 500km of test drive. You can drive as hard as you want, take it to 50 mechanics so they can inspect. The only difference is that whether the test drive and mechanic inspection are done before vs. after signing paper.
If they give you the option to return upon finding something wrong with the car, I don't see why it is an issue, just make sure the everything is black and white in the paper you sign.
Everybody reads and signs. If you don't read and only sign, that's already half of the blame.

And like I said, time is different, it is the best possible solution at the moment, unless you have something else that can work for both you and dealers, you should suggest. Otherwise everyone's got to make do with what's possible.

I feel like I am talking to my wife, nagging but there's nothing to do about it.

I also don't think you get it either

Why the hell would I go give somebody 10000 or 20000 in cash to then have to go through a headache returning the car IF I happen to find something wrong with the car. I can promise you that no matter what papers you sign with a dealership,BLACK OR WHITE AND CLEAR AS A CRYSTAL BALL, they will find ANY way to screw you and say "sorry, because of reason X, you can't return the car"

If you don't believe me and think i'm too much of a skeptic, that's fine, too each their own. I'll say it again, I worked in the industry long enough and dealt with enough dealerships to know they are mostly a bunch of crooks

This thread was useless to create in the first place, don't know why I bothered
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5830 posts
4510 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: 3 weeks.
You got it in days before new rule comes in on Apr 3rd. So that made sense.

Now you have to buy it sight unseen.
cb8888 wrote: Lol I don't think you get it... first off all 3 weeks ago as far as I know, test drives were still allowed as per the omvic regulations.

As of the this current second, you cannot test drive a car in Ontario. Period, no ifs, ands, or buts. No deposit, no the dealer bringing the car to your home, doesn't matter if you're an essential work

ABSOLUTELY NO TEST DRIVES, unless the dealer wants to risk getting caught and receiving a fine

I also don't think you get it either

Why the hell would I go give somebody 10000 or 20000 in cash to then have to go through a headache returning the car IF I happen to find something wrong with the car. I can promise you that no matter what papers you sign with a dealership,BLACK OR WHITE AND CLEAR AS A CRYSTAL BALL, they will find ANY way to screw you and say "sorry, because of reason X, you can't return the car"

If you don't believe me and think i'm too much of a skeptic, that's fine, too each their own. I'll say it again, I worked in the industry long enough and dealt with enough dealerships to know they are mostly a bunch of crooks

This thread was useless to create in the first place, don't know why I bothered
I think the return policy is the only alternative to keep business open and if someone needs a car can get a car. Even an extended test drive may on paper violate the rule.

If you don't like the process, and I understand why, you can always wait until the process goes back to the way you are used to. We are not stuck in this mode forever and it should kinda return to normal in about a month or so.
[OP]
Oct 26, 2016
314 posts
397 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: You got it in days before new rule comes in on Apr 3rd. So that made sense.

Now you have to buy it sight unseen.

I think the return policy is the only alternative to keep business open and if someone needs a car can get a car. Even an extended test drive may on paper violate the rule.

If you don't like the process, and I understand why, you can always wait until the process goes back to the way you are used to. We are not stuck in this mode forever and it should kinda return to normal in about a month or so.
Yea I agree with you, it's just an unfortunate situation and I fear this method of online sales will not only take advantage of people who aren't knowledgeable about cars, this online sales trend that's happening now will likely be more on the rise even after all this pandemic is over...not that online sales didn't happen before this anyways

I understand new cars sight unseen, but not used... Not unless you're buying a unicorn one of kind car, that's a different story that I can come to understand
May 28, 2012
11001 posts
3153 upvotes
Saskatoon
locked by request