• Jul 6th, 2019 10:08 am
[OP]
Sep 13, 2015
30 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Car scratch how to remove?

Hello everyone!

Apologies for the noob question but I’ve been YouTubing and googling how to remove scratches but haven’t found anything besides using a polishing machine which I do not have, or sanding down the spot.

My question is, is there any way to remove these scratches besides sanding it or using a machine. Any products I can buy that will just have me use it by hand with a microfibre cloth? I was looking at miguire’s scratch removal but I’m not sure if that’s the one I should be looking at.

Or will touch up paint just work.. I’m not sure.. sorry..

If anyone knows the way the remove these scratches please help!

Thank you so much!
Images
  • AAB3EEC0-BC14-43CC-B478-7EA85296BE87.jpeg
  • 15398C63-8EC7-4863-93CE-4B9523882FE0.jpeg
  • 9EA998C1-670B-4764-827B-8322D8224BD9.jpeg
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13576 posts
8537 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Rubbing compound, can get Meguiars.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10850 posts
2688 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I think some of those may be able to come out with a polish, some look to be minor however hard to tell by the photos. Yes you can remove them by hand but it will take a long time of you rubbing and may not be able to get everything as well as a polisher machine would.

As for products you jsut need a polishing compound, many on the market. I was actually using this yesterday by hand on my friends boat to remove some minor marks done while in storage and most came out - https://3dproductscanada.com/3d-speed-a ... olish-wax/ The good thing about this is that its an all in one so it also has wax in it to leave a protective layer. However the wax does not last to long in this product, maybe a month or 2 so its recomended to follow up with a longer wax from a company like Collinite if you are interested.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Feb 24, 2004
373 posts
111 upvotes
Wax along with elbow grease should remove most of that scratch
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2208 posts
1728 upvotes
Markham
JAMFAM wrote: Hello everyone!

Apologies for the noob question but I’ve been YouTubing and googling how to remove scratches but haven’t found anything besides using a polishing machine which I do not have, or sanding down the spot.

My question is, is there any way to remove these scratches besides sanding it or using a machine. Any products I can buy that will just have me use it by hand with a microfibre cloth? I was looking at miguire’s scratch removal but I’m not sure if that’s the one I should be looking at.

Thank you so much!
I have used Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 and have had good success by hand. Granted, it takes some work but it is possible. Your scratches don't appear to be too bad.

They sell this everywhere so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
[OP]
Sep 13, 2015
30 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, thank you so much for all the replies! I will try to get some polish compound and get to rubbing! Appreciate it all :)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3851 posts
3963 upvotes
GTA
psyfer wrote: Wax along with elbow grease should remove most of that scratch
No it won't. Only polishing can remove scratches.
JAMFAM wrote: Wow, thank you so much for all the replies! I will try to get some polish compound and get to rubbing! Appreciate it all :)
I would suggest Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. You can get it at Canadian Tire.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1496 posts
427 upvotes
Meguiars compound should do the job here. Look like fairly superficial scuffs.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1316 posts
755 upvotes
Barrie ON
If the scratches become invisible when wet, then only the clear coat is damaged and you are seeing the scratch due to the bending of light. You can level out these scratches by polishing so that the light no longer bends, and the scratches will disappear.

If these scratches don't go invisible when wet, then the scratches are all the way into the colored primer. All the polishing in the world is not going to change the color of the primer.
Jun 8, 2019
73 posts
14 upvotes
GTA
JAMFAM wrote: Hello everyone!

Try using rubbing compound available at Canadian Tire, or NuFinish scratch remover. You won't need a machine to apply these and best of all they are reasonably priced.

Thank you so much!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3595 posts
3714 upvotes
Rick007 wrote: If the scratches become invisible when wet, then only the clear coat is damaged and you are seeing the scratch due to the bending of light. You can level out these scratches by polishing so that the light no longer bends, and the scratches will disappear.

If these scratches don't go invisible when wet, then the scratches are all the way into the colored primer. All the polishing in the world is not going to change the color of the primer.
First use rubbing alcohol to clean off the area. Then use a compound to remove as much of the scratch as possible. Then, use a touch up paint and the finest paint brush you can find that will work for the scratch (Michaels, and use a 40% off coupon) and touch up (exceeding the lines of the scratch is fine and encouraged). Leave for 48-72 hours (dry) and then use a microfiber towel and compound to remove the excess, then wax.

Youtube is great but for minor scratches like this the above is all you need. No need to wet sand, no need to buy a fancy orbital etc. Just do the above. The hardest thing to do for me is to be patient and allow the 2-3 days to pass.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.