Parenting & Family

Car Seat for Small SUV

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 11:26 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
612 posts
86 upvotes
North York, ON

Car Seat for Small SUV

Have a BMW X1 and need a narrow car seat that is both rear and forward facing. Any recommendations?
18 replies
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
612 posts
86 upvotes
North York, ON
Stock R wrote: Clek fllo. 17" at the widest point makes it one of the narrowest seats. A lot of people like Diono Radian RXT which is the same width but it doesn't score well in independent crash tests.

We have 3x FLLO side by side in the back of Mrs' STI.
Could you send me a link to the 3x FLLO model? Thanks
Member
May 21, 2012
238 posts
185 upvotes
Burlington
Are you looking for narrow side-to-side, or compact front-to-back? The Clek Fllo is not particularly compact front-to-back in many cars. The Clek Foonf tends to be more compact, but also more expensive. The Britax convertible seats are compact front-to-back, but wider side-to-side than the Clek seats. The Graco 4ever can also be compact front-to-back, but many kids have head slump in the seat. ETA: The Graco Contender is another compact front-to-back option.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
612 posts
86 upvotes
North York, ON
muskrat191 wrote: Are you looking for narrow side-to-side, or compact front-to-back? The Clek Fllo is not particularly compact front-to-back in many cars. The Clek Foonf tends to be more compact, but also more expensive. The Britax convertible seats are compact front-to-back, but wider side-to-side than the Clek seats. The Graco 4ever can also be compact front-to-back, but many kids have head slump in the seat. ETA: The Graco Contender is another compact front-to-back option.
Narrow side-to-side
Member
Feb 14, 2005
497 posts
96 upvotes
I went through this 3 years ago. Have a 2017 X1 and I'm pretty sure you're going to have the same problems.

Initially I went and got a Clek fllo. When rear facing, you need to push the passenger front seat almost all the way to the front and keep the seat pretty upright. My wife is 5'2" and squeezed in there, but I'm 5'8" and I would not be able to tolerate long trips.

As a compromise, we put the fllo in the middle back seat. There's no LATCH so you'll need to secure it with the belt. The fllo is narrow enough such that the two front seats will touch it but not push on it. You'll need to stuff some towels or a pool noodle under the seat. Personally I always use the belt cause I can never get LATCH properly secured without lateral movement.

Afterwards I went and got a Diono RXT and the angle adjuster. Without the angle adjuster you'll run into the same problem as the fllo.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2010
891 posts
679 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Diono...
Keep in mind that Dionos are really hard to install correctly. The majority of users unknowingly install them incorrectly. In particular:
- The Safe Stop must be installed for forward facing kids weighing under 40 lb, and removed once they hit 40lb.
- The Safe Stop is not to be installed for rear facing kids
- They can be difficult to properly level.
- Many buy the seat based on the economics of it being a 3-in-1, but the booster configuration requires a minimum weight of 50-lb, while most kids will have outgrown the maximum allowable height for the harness well before they hit 50-lb.

No matter what seat you choose, read the manual very carefully and, if at all in doubt, get a car seat tech to look over your install.

We use a Graco Extend2Fit in our 2013 Corolla because of the high rear facing weight limit and its relative front-to-back compactness, but the seat its behind has to be one notch from the most forward position, meaning anyone taller than about 5'3" (i.e. my wife and mother-in-law) can't sit comfortably/safely in the front passenger seat. At 6', I'm relegated to either driving or sitting in the back.
Member
May 21, 2012
238 posts
185 upvotes
Burlington
yellowlight18 wrote: Narrow side-to-side
I've never been in an X1, but my understanding is that it is tight front-to-back for rear-facing seats. Do you have other passengers in the backseat? What position are you trying to put this car seat (behind driver, behind passenger, middle)?
Member
Aug 10, 2004
496 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
We have the X1 and we have the diono rainier. When it was rear-facing, we used the angler to get a bit more space for the passenger. I'm 5'8" and I didn't have an issue with it behind me. My legs were not completely straight in the passenger seat but I was still comfortable. There's absolutely no issue with it forward facing of course.

We now have the infant car seat behind the passenger seat and I think it's about the same leg room as the rear-facing with the angler.
Sr. Member
Aug 15, 2009
947 posts
610 upvotes
Montreal
I don't own a X1 but Golfs. Manage to get a Graco for new born in. I'm 6'2" I was ok with.

But the Graco 4-in-1 I wouldn't do a 1 hour drive. I was to uncomfortable. Glad my daughter can now front sit now !

You should go visit a baby store and try the seats in your car. That would be your best bet.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
612 posts
86 upvotes
North York, ON
jc427 wrote: We have the X1 and we have the diono rainier. When it was rear-facing, we used the angler to get a bit more space for the passenger. I'm 5'8" and I didn't have an issue with it behind me. My legs were not completely straight in the passenger seat but I was still comfortable. There's absolutely no issue with it forward facing of course.

We now have the infant car seat behind the passenger seat and I think it's about the same leg room as the rear-facing with the angler.
Is the Rainier available in Canada or is only the Radian model available?
Member
Aug 10, 2004
496 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
The rainier used to be available in Canada but I don't think it is anymore. I think only the radian model is available now. We have a radian for our youngest once he's out of the infant car seat. From what I read, the rainier is wider at the top than the radian so if you get the radian, there shouldn't be an issue with it fitting in the X1.

https://kidsafetyfirst.com/diono-radian ... ifferences
yellowlight18 wrote: Is the Rainier available in Canada or is only the Radian model available?
Member
May 21, 2012
238 posts
185 upvotes
Burlington
yellowlight18 wrote: Is the Rainier available in Canada or is only the Radian model available?
Diono has renamed all their seats. I think the Radian 2AXT is basically the Rainier.

Top