Automotive

Car Service - can I take my car to some place other than the dealer?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 9:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1981 upvotes

Car Service - can I take my car to some place other than the dealer?

Hi folks

Our car is due for a big service. We usually go with the dealer, but thinking of saving some money. Can I just take it to any car shop and ask if they do the equivalent level of service?

Thanks for any tips.
Last edited by berrytree on Aug 30th, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28410 posts
8845 upvotes
Hamilton
Hi. Yes.
hated on but respected.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1981 upvotes
yao416 wrote: Hi. Yes.
Thanks Yao. Should I read service manual first and then let them know equivalent, or do most car places already know?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1489 posts
737 upvotes
toronto
where you located and what kind of car and mileage
No advertising in avatars or sigs
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
berrytree wrote: Hi folks

Our car is due for a big service. We usually go with the dealer, but thinking of saving some money. Can I just take it to any car shop and ask if they do the equivalent level of service?

Thanks for any tips.
Yes, you can take it to another shop.
But please don't take it to ANY car shop.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
berrytree wrote: Thanks Yao. Should I read service manual first and then let them know equivalent, or do most car places already know?
Always read your service and owner's manual.
Don't assume others will know....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1981 upvotes
BDSL wrote: Yes, you can take it to another shop.
But please don't take it to ANY car shop.
Thanks, got it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
berrytree wrote: Thanks, got it.
If you tell us your location and what your vehicle is, maybe someone would have recommendations.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1677 posts
1137 upvotes
Manitoba
If it was me, I'd rather get those important service via Dealer and save on the regular services like fluid changes & brake maintenance.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14977 upvotes
Never take your car to a dealer or mechanic for any type of work at any time. Don't let them touch it! That's my $0.02. Also it should be illegal for stealers to touch a car for service after selling it, except for warranty or recall. Even then, I'd be super hesitant to let them touch it.

If you want the "same level of service", then just go to the zoo and talk to the monkeys they have there, that's about the same "level of service". But then again the monkeys are probably better.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
DJ Trance AZ wrote: I also wonder what that big service is...
Probably 48k or 96k one.

Basically, a good mechanic will know what stuff should check or replace for your when you tell them the year and the Km of the car and tell them when is your last service and what was done back then.
The stuff written on dealer's service menu is a joke, like inspect windshield fluid???
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2263 upvotes
Toronto
I have always taken my car to the dealership if it is within warranty as i just don't need any reason whatsoever to have an issue with the warranty coverage. I do it for oil changes as well, a bit inconvenient however if anything does go wrong with my drive train don't want to have the dealer/manufacturer going over every single receipt with a fine toothed comb trying to invalidate due to some loophole. I would always be concerned about losing a receipt for an oil change, open up that door the slightest and dealers/manufacturers will try and deny your warranty claim.

Once nearing the end of my warranty i always take it to my independent mechanic, half the cost and equally well done work.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.