• Jul 13th, 2020 9:54 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2019
268 posts
478 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Car Service - Dealer or Auto Shop

Hello,

My Hyundai Kona 2019 is due for it's 24K service.
Dealership mandates service package 3 costing $320+tax that includes:

Replace engine oil and fliter
Rotate tires
Replace engine air cleaner filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect exterior lights
Inspect tire pressures
Check coolant, battery, brake and washer fluid levels
Inspect and lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
Inspect all drive belts
Inspect vacuum, crankcase ventilation hoses
Inspect driveshafts and boots
Inspect front brake pads, rotors
Inspect rear brake drums/linings, parking brake (or rear discs/pads)
Inspect brake fluid
Inspect suspension mounting bolts
Inspect steering gear box, linkage, boots and lower arm ball joint
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect automatic transaxle fluid
Inspect brake hoses and lines
Inspect exhaust pipes and muffler (after manifold)
Inspect fuel lines, fuel hoses and connections
Inspect fuel filter/fuel air filter
Inspect battery terminals
Inspect vapor hose and fuel filler cap

I understand it's not mandatory to get servicing done at dealership to Maintain 5 yrs warranty.

My question is will it be cheaper if I go ahead with autoshop?
Please suggest reasonably priced auto shops for regular services like this. Thanks
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not bad. LOL

Audi gave me a list with prices on future services for my 2020 Q3P. It includes oil change, inspect brakes, replace air filter and two other miscellaneous BS for over $500?!?! This is just for my 30k/km service.

I have two daily drivers, had 4 previous vehicles and the most I've spent on regular maintenance is less than $200 for a coolant flush.

Not that it makes any difference but your list is twice as long and they ROTATE YOUR TIRES, Audi can't even do that with them inspecting the brakes?!?!

There was a discussion where they iGarage was mentioned, completely forgot about them, goes back in the days with Club RSX.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
It all depends on the brake item, in my opinion.

This is basically $320 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filter (engine), and "Service front and rear brakes". Which is a good deal if the "service" for the brakes is lubrication of the pins, etc. "Inspection" of the brakes is not the same.

Compare it to the Mazda service: $285 plus tax (last time I did it). It does not include air filter. They do clean and lubricate the brakes.
6145 posts
1734 upvotes
So you're paying $320 to do these 3 things.

Rotate tires
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: So you're paying $320 to do these 3 things.

Rotate tires
And the service to the brakes. The question is, what exactly do they do to the brakes?
1326 upvotes
Durham
As the car is still new, I'd stick with dealer for warranty purposes. If anything goes wrong with the car, they will look for everything not to honour it including maintenance schedules. Even if you go to a certified mechanic with paper work and Kia eventually honours any claim, it will be a pain to dispute and go through the process.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6145 posts
1734 upvotes
motomondo wrote: And the service to the brakes. The question is, what exactly do they do to the brakes?
Bet you they don't actually do anything.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6145 posts
1734 upvotes
Service your brakes = spray brake cleaner on your brakes.
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
I had a Jyunkdai not too long ago, and for the brakes, they do take it apart, clean and lube them.

By itself, the service was $130 or so. It is a precautionary service in case the calipers seize or lock up from crap picked up during winter driving (is what i was told).
you can do a-la carte, just do basic service 1 oil change, and add in the brake service. Should be able to get out of there paying $200 or so.

the OEM air filter is about $30 by itself, Jyunkdai doesn't markup at all when installing for you. They only screw you if installing the Cabin air filter.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2019
268 posts
478 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Thanks Everyone, I should probably stick to Hyundai until warranty and try minimum service required.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16639 posts
5207 upvotes
Toronto
sum321 wrote: Thanks Everyone, I should probably stick to Hyundai until warranty and try minimum service required.
Under warranty, I always go to the dealer. This way if things come up, they see that you have a relationship (i.e. spent money with them) and will be happy to fix it. After the warranty, find a good private mechanic who knows your vehicle and take it there. You will save some $$ and probably get better quality service. Many small shops keeps a few mechanics and not get a bunch of newbie's working on your car.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1552 posts
1174 upvotes
If you take it to dealer (and most do when it's under warranty, and not a bad idea). just be aware than many dealer service departments will suggest repairs that aren't necessary, or aren't necessary yet. So the $320 charge for various inspections gives them the opening to suggest that your brakes need to be replaced (earlier than necessary), or wheel alignment needed, etc.

Some articles on how dealerships push service that is not needed
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.4300557
https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tment.html
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6145 posts
1734 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: I had a Jyunkdai not too long ago, and for the brakes, they do take it apart, clean and lube them.
How do they lube the brakes?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19286 posts
2983 upvotes
Woodbridge
Knock-on-wood...

I've DIY since 2002 and never had a problem dealing with warranty repairs.

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone having problems with their engines.

When I took my CivicX to drain and fill the CVT at Honda and found a crack on the transmission casing. The dealership never once questioned me where or who services my vehicle. *I got a brand new CVT replaced under warranty.

Fear is a powerful tool. It's posted here thousand times how you should just save the receipts. The whole point here is to save money.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6724 posts
4291 upvotes
Toronto
Your car is new, there will be hardly any problems for next 3 to 5 years of owning the car and dealer knows this.

Is it better and convenient for you to go to the dealer at triple the price? Sure, but your warranty won't be voided if you take the precautions by keeping parts and services receipt done diy or at Indy.

No need to spend $300+ for $50 oil changes.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
peteryorkuca wrote: Your car is new, there will be hardly any problems for next 3 to 5 years of owning the car and dealer knows this.

Is it better and convenient for you to go to the dealer at triple the price? Sure, but your warranty won't be voided if you take the precautions by keeping parts and services receipt done diy or at Indy.

No need to spend $300+ for $50 oil changes.
The problem I have found with Indy is that if you have a claim, its a PITA to work with the Dealership for a warranty claim. Even if they honour it, the hassle is ridiculous. I've heard stories of people waiting months for reviews on claims. Mazda actually took over a year to honour for failed Turbo on my uncles CX and he had all the Indy records to show maintenance. Going to dealer while under warranty, at least they have the records in place.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6724 posts
4291 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: The problem I have found with Indy is that if you have a claim, its a PITA to work with the Dealership for a warranty claim. Even if they honour it, the hassle is ridiculous. I've heard stories of people waiting months for reviews on claims. Mazda actually took over a year to honour for failed Turbo on my uncles CX. Going to dealer while under warranty, at least they have the records in place.
There must be more to this story if he kept all the receipts.

Friend of mind just had his AMG engine replaced but dealer gave him hard time because of missing receipt. But in the end, dealer honour the warranty claim. When I spoke with the service advisor later, he said make sure to keep the receipt with original oem parts listed because that was another thing his manager was looking for. I think dealer was just being a stealer looking for ways to get out of doing warranty claims.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
peteryorkuca wrote: There must be more to this story if he kept all the receipts.

Friend of mind just had his AMG engine replaced but dealer gave him hard time because of missing receipt. But in the end, dealer honour the warranty claim. When I spoke with the service advisor later, he said make sure to keep the receipt with original oem parts listed because that was another thing his manager was looking for. I think dealer was just being a stealer looking for ways to get out of doing warranty claims.
From experience, I have found Germans to handle warranty claims faster then other brands (mainly Japanese from personal stories and my experience in the past). I've heard from multiple people Mazda is the worse.

Issue with my Uncles car was first they said not serviced there. He sent all receipts in and it takes them forever to reply. This is Mazda Canada now. Then they said a few things were off by a few km of recommended services. It was an on going back and forth battle which they eventually honoured and then traded it in right after.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24390 posts
33420 upvotes
Toronto
filter change is one of the simplest things you can do yourself

change both engine filter and passenger compartment filter. super cheap on Amazon

videos on YouTube will show you how
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)