Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
240 posts
19 upvotes
Markham, ON

Car slight jerk question?

So my Acura TL, while driving it, I notice that from 0 kmh at the red light, when it turns green and I start to accelerate, my car accelerates to about 2800-3000 rpm, and then it gives a slight jerk as it shifts. I already know that my engine and tranny mounts are worn (mechanic and myself diagnosed it). So I was wondering, if the mounts are responsible for this?
My car runs fine and smooth as I pick up speed. However just the initial acceleration from a 0 start up to 3000 rpm, it gives a slight jerk.
My car is 2004 at 246000 km. anyone can help me diagnose what this might be?
Any advice will be great!
18 replies
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rough shifts in general imo. have you always had this?
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Under hard acceleration?
Does it jerk when shifting to other gears at that rpm?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Your transmission is dying. That gen TL are known for crap transmission (minus MT)
(http://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/TL/2004/)

Transmission f8ked good (see how car doesn't move even though rpm is going up?)

Does it flare like this too?

^^ SEE THE RPM GAUGE and how it JUMPS when it shifts

Basically, TIME TO START SAVING :D
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5822 posts
3079 upvotes
Winnipeg
can you drive without going above 2500 rpm?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yup, transmission is on it's way.
Well known issue on 1999-2005 auto transmission TL.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Transmission is about to go. Pour some transmission oil in to see if it rides smoother

infinityZ wrote: So my Acura TL, while driving it, I notice that from 0 kmh at the red light, when it turns green and I start to accelerate, my car accelerates to about 2800-3000 rpm, and then it gives a slight jerk as it shifts. I already know that my engine and tranny mounts are worn (mechanic and myself diagnosed it). So I was wondering, if the mounts are responsible for this?
My car runs fine and smooth as I pick up speed. However just the initial acceleration from a 0 start up to 3000 rpm, it gives a slight jerk.
My car is 2004 at 246000 km. anyone can help me diagnose what this might be?
Any advice will be great!
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
That's the second reason why that $60,000 car only cost you $4000.
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wait, sorry for my ignorance but how is it already concluded that ops transmission is basically gone from the given information.

his scenario sounds like alot of cars with a bad transmission in terms of performance, not that its damaged. (ie does not shift fast enough and has rough shifts which is causing the slight jerk at initial acceleration)

and george's videos are irrelevant because thats not what hte OP was describing. his car still picks up speed while the other cars in the video dont despite revving up

again, im only posting to get an answer myself as sometimes my tranny is not smooth from a red to green light hard acceleration where ive sometimes experienced a slight jerk
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
I mention add trans oil also. Give that a try before selling. look underneath the car for leaks. ... check engine oil too.
samyou92 wrote: wait, sorry for my ignorance but how is it already concluded that ops transmission is basically gone from the given information.

his scenario sounds like alot of cars with a bad transmission in terms of performance, not that its damaged. (ie does not shift fast enough and has rough shifts which is causing the slight jerk at initial acceleration)

and george's videos are irrelevant because thats not what hte OP was describing. his car still picks up speed while the other cars in the video dont despite revving up

again, im only posting to get an answer myself as sometimes my tranny is not smooth from a red to green light hard acceleration where ive sometimes experienced a slight jerk
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3261 posts
1396 upvotes
I have a different car, had the same issue. It got progressively worse, it turned out to be my spark plugs.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote: I have a different car, had the same issue. It got progressively worse, it turned out to be my spark plugs.

trans acted up because of oil leak. Had oil leak and engine wasn't getting oil in the middle of nowhere. ran to gas station, and got a bottle for 10 bucks and poured it in. no problems. now I keep a bottle in car just in case.
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stt55pot wrote: trans acted up because of oil leak. Had oil leak and engine wasn't getting oil in the middle of nowhere. ran to gas station, and got a bottle for 10 bucks and poured it in. no problems. now I keep a bottle in car just in case.
im not mechanically inclined, but i dont see how an engine oil leak would cause the transmission to act up especially since the transmission a separate component to the actual engine.

also if there was a leak, shouldnt you getting that repaired/looked at rather than just putting in more oil
Nov 23, 2011
114 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
For jerking it cud be simple as changing ur spark plugs and ur transmission fluid. Trans fluid shud be change evert 50k.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
82 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Yup, transmission is on it's way.
Well known issue on 1999-2005 auto transmission TL.
Not surprising, considering the Accord, which the TL is based upon, had the same issues for that generation.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Not enuff engine oil caused a serious 'klunk; because it needed oil to shift. Try running car with no oil. Just check both oils, not hard to do. You have to confirm leak first before bringing it, this is rfd :) or just bring it in to mech and no prob
use original ngk plugs if you change sparky.
samyou92 wrote: im not mechanically inclined, but i dont see how an engine oil leak would cause the transmission to act up especially since the transmission a separate component to the actual engine.

also if there was a leak, shouldnt you getting that repaired/looked at rather than just putting in more oil
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38209 posts
24390 upvotes
Center of Universe
samyou92 wrote: wait, sorry for my ignorance but how is it already concluded that ops transmission is basically gone from the given information.

It's a well known issue that pretty much tarnished Honda's reliability post 2000-2001.
Affected vehicles from 1999-2005, such as TL, Accords, Odyssey with the 5-speed auto transmission!
May 14, 2012
396 posts
88 upvotes
PICKERING
stt55pot wrote: Not enuff engine oil caused a serious 'klunk; because it needed oil to shift. Try running car with no oil. Just check both oils, not hard to do. You have to confirm leak first before bringing it, this is rfd :) or just bring it in to mech and no prob
use original ngk plugs if you change sparky.
Actually, I am mechanically inclined and your statements don't make sense because engine oil and tranny oil are in completely different and sealed systems. Now running low/ running really old engine oil could effect performance and give the appearance of rougher shifting.....is that what you are suggesting?
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Yes. The systems are fully independent in theory. However, it is interlinked. I have had a personal experience that the shifter just 'pulled' forward because of lack of oil. I'm just wondering if OP felt the 'jerk from the engine, or the trany' It doesn't hurt to check, it takes 2 mins. And yes, that what I mean.

dudeexcellent wrote: Actually, I am mechanically inclined and your statements don't make sense because engine oil and tranny oil are in completely different and sealed systems. Now running low/ running really old engine oil could effect performance and give the appearance of rougher shifting.....is that what you are suggesting?