• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 10:51 pm
[OP]
Mar 4, 2014
21 posts
Mississauga

Car/SUV Recommendation for tall people

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new car or SUV and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tall people. I'm 6'5 with long legs and I'm told for ergonomics it is recommended for your knees to be below or level to your hips while sitting (thighs parallel to the ground). I've been trying a couple of large sedans and SUVs and it is hard to get the seat settings quite right for this. Although they are quite roomy, in my current situation I don't think I need a 7-seater SUV (also trying to be somewhat fuel conscious if I end up picking a SUV). I have tried the CX-5 and it fits pretty well for me but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

Thanks!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
Subaru Forester probably fits this bill rather well for a compact SUV. Its upright box shape is very beneficial for headroom, the legroom is rather generous too. Chevrolet Impala is very good when it comes to legroom although if you're trying to save fuel the 4-cylinder model isn't that good. Toyota Avalon hybrid is still good on legroom(though not as generous as the Impala) while actually attempting to save some fuel, but might be pricey. Honda Accord has never been bad for tall people. Kia Soul will actually do the job too, this is the smallest car that is good here because of its box shape.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19192 posts
22089 upvotes
GTA
MINI's are actually pretty roomy if you don't have someone in the back seat. They have more driver room than many bigger cars.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
I'm also 6ft5. When it comes to cars. I've fallen in love with the Ford Panther Platform, although they're not made any more so it's kind of invalid. In my Grand Marquis I didn't even have to have the seat all the way back. Now I have. Town Car though.

My other half has a Dodge Journey. And I have to say the level of comfort in it did surprise me. She has the SXT Crew trim level. Second Gen. (2011).

Ive found German and domestics to be pretty roomy
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2791 posts
2023 upvotes
I can likely help out but need some more info. New/Used/CPO? Preference to american, euro, asian etc?

I'm in the same boat and I struggle with headroom and comfort. I'm thinking next vehicle will be a lexus GX460 but it eats gas. May want to check out full size cars with your size.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2277 posts
2321 upvotes
Montréal
Golf's are pretty roomy, I'm a big dude (6"4 320) and found our last 2 VW's to be very comfortable.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1150 posts
1257 upvotes
Calgary
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19192 posts
22089 upvotes
GTA
OKSpring wrote: Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
LOL, I wish I could fit into a Miata comfortably. I'm only 6ft and I can't fit comfortably. Legs bent, my eyes looks through the windshield frame. Maybe I'd fit with a slim racing seat.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1150 posts
1257 upvotes
Calgary
engineered wrote: LOL, I wish I could fit into a Miata comfortably. I'm only 6ft and I can't fit comfortably. Legs bent, my eyes looks through the windshield frame. Maybe I'd fit with a slim racing seat.
I have an '02 SE I drove from Toronto to Calgary a few months back..it wasn't the most comfortable road trip, but a lot better than expected haha.

I battle with the windshield frame too..same height. Only time it's really problematic is when I'm first in line at a traffic light, I can't see the high mounted lights without ducking down. That's with the hardtop. Racing seats, or different seat rails may be an option! The tan leather in mine are pretty slim, not sure about cloth.

But life's too short..
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4607 posts
1275 upvotes
Guelph, ON
admiralackbar wrote: Golf's are pretty roomy, I'm a big dude (6"4 320) and found our last 2 VW's to be very comfortable.
Definitely agree, Golf very room. If looking for Sedan checkout Passat, back seat can fit an NBA Player Comfortably.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3315 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
Honda CR-V 2017/2018 a crossover SUV is class leader in cabin space. Give that a test drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1868 posts
432 upvotes
My boss is at least 6.5 and 280 lbs, he drives a BMW X5 and a Toyota Venza.
Feb 16, 2016
818 posts
371 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
I’m 6’5 and 185 lbs and I drive a MB ML350 Bluetec. Plenty of room (even in the backseat with me driving) and a very comfortable ride. I highly recommend it.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2014
21 posts
Mississauga
6mthatch wrote: I can likely help out but need some more info. New/Used/CPO? Preference to american, euro, asian etc?

I'm in the same boat and I struggle with headroom and comfort. I'm thinking next vehicle will be a lexus GX460 but it eats gas. May want to check out full size cars with your size.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. I took a look at the Forrester already and I found that the headroom was a bit tight for me with the seat adjusted to how I like it but I may give it another try because I've heard good things about this SUV. I've heard good things about the Impala as well and want to try it out and may take a look at the Avalon and CRV too. I have heard that the minis are roomy on the inside and have even seen NBA players use it but I will need a car that you can use the backseat in.

For the question here on what I am looking for - I am pretty flexible on the make. My three main points that I look for would be that it can fit me, fuel efficiency and reliability so I'd be willing to look at any brand that can satisfy this (although I know satisfying all three may be difficult). Lexus has intrigued me because of the reliability - I've heard that minimal work is required on Lexus other than an oil change but I'm not sure how roomy their RX models are. For my preference between new and used, my current thinking is for the regular brands (Mazda, Toyota, etc.) I would look at new but for the luxury brands (Lexus, Audi, etc.) I'd look at the used cars (at the same price level of the new cars of the regular brands).

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2791 posts
2023 upvotes
The GX is a 4runner in Lexus clothing. Biggest difference between the 2 is that the GX only comes in a v8 (Essentially a v8 4runner) and the GX has a much taller roofline which suits us tall folk. It is an extremely reliable vehicle but do your research much like I have. Common complaint is rear airbag which you can replace with coil and shock if necessary. They are not cheap vehicles and there is not a plenthora for sale. Most likely because they dont break down and owners love them for the quality and durability.
I myself have came to the consensus that i want to want to be in the driver seat. I want to be able to stretch out and have plenty of room and most vehicles cant do that without the rear passengers being affected.

The RX is much smaller and its a CUV (unibody vs body on frame). Doesnt have the same "BIFL" status as the 4runner/gx

Take one out for a spin whether its a 460 or 470. I'd love to know your impressions.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1157 posts
979 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
KIA Optima...I swear someone 7ft+ could sit comfortably in the front. I'm 6'2" and with the front seat all the way back, I have to reach out for the pedals/steering wheel.

A lot of big cars out there...like the supposedly full size Ford Taurus...are tiny on the inside. That KIA is a midsize.

BRB driving my Fiat 500 Abarth comfortably. If I was any taller it wouldn't work...not with my sunroof equipped model. Sunroofs in most cars reduce how much head room you have. They offer my car in a cabriolet, and the soft top is thin, so it has a good inch and a half more head room than the hardtop roof. Like my old Miata, I may have modify the seat bracket and even give the seat a "foam-ectomy" in order for the car to accommodate me with a race helmet if I choose to track the car.