Tags:
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
567 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton

Car tint questions

Auto Lovers,
I am looking to get car tint for the first time, mainly to lower sun penetration and glare and have some questions.
1. What is the popular % shade for someone who is looking for some comfort but does not want to too dark film, specially for front door windows?
2. Doesn't it become a big problem for night driving if one gets the windshield and the rear shield laminated? Or a very light shade does the job well and does not become an obstruction?
Please advise
Last edited by MrDisco on May 29th, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
15 replies
Jan 28, 2017
939 posts
982 upvotes
luking wrote: Auto Lovers,
I am looking to get car tint for the first time, mainly to lower sun penetration and glare and have some questions.
1. What is the popular % shade for someone who is looking for some comfort but does not want to too dark film, specially for front door windows?
2. Doesn't it become a big problem for night driving if one gets the windshield and the rear shield laminated? Or a very light shade does the job well and does not become an obstruction?
Please advise
35% ceramic tint all around should meet your criteria. Dark enough to block sun and not have people look inside, light enough so that you can still see at night.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46749 posts
9852 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bear20 wrote: 35% ceramic tint all around should meet your criteria. Dark enough to block sun and not have people look inside, light enough so that you can still see at night.
35% tint is the best!
I’m currently on 20%... so dark!
My place has the choice of 10, 20, 50%

It was either dark, darker, or really light.
Nothing inbetween! I actually assumed 35% was the most common because it had such a nice balance of practical & privacy.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
28-35% for you. 20-23 for me personally. I normally try to match factory tint all around if I can, that is, if the vehicle comes with factory tint.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1990 posts
1005 upvotes
Ontario
Depends if you want to stay legal or not.
I usually try to match factory tint (which can be dark on some cars back ends.) A few cars I've done about 35% as well and usually look good but rarely are legal.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17184 posts
19076 upvotes
Oakville
If you primarily want to block solar, you can get solar tint that blocks most solar radiation but can come in varying visible tint.
You might want 50% tint, but make sure it's one that is for at blocking most IR light.
Personally I like 35% tint.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 21, 2006
750 posts
501 upvotes
I had 35% for the front windows to match the factory tint in the rear of a RX350, it came out great. I had 20% all around on a Camry previously, it does feel too dark at times esp when trying to back up at night in the rain.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Both our vehicles came factory in the back.

Fronts on mine have been tinted at 35%. I wouldn't go lighter or darker.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22520 posts
27257 upvotes
Toronto
As a pedestrian/cyclist/parent it really sucks when I can't see the driver to ensure they have seen me. Please be responsible when tinting.

I hope more Police start enforcement.

Police officials said they are noticing a trend in the city: more vehicles have their windshields and compartment windows heavily tinted to the point it's a safety hazard.

"Everyone should be able to make eye contact with a driver so pedestrians (and) cyclists are aware they are being seen by a driver," said Const. Christopher Gauthier of the Timmins Police Service.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/northern- ... 35481.html
Ye wife is in me dms baby.
Dec 5, 2020
275 posts
210 upvotes
Agree on 35% - great to block out the sun, great for visibility at night, and cops won't give you any problems.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
567 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
Great, so 35% seems to best all around. Many thanks for replying.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4723 posts
3953 upvotes
Oakville, ON
luking wrote: Auto Lovers,
Please advise
luking wrote: Great, so 35% seems to best all around. Many thanks for replying.
No. Tinting the front windshield is a bad idea and is illegal.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
567 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
CanadianLurker wrote: No. Tinting the front windshield is a bad idea and is illegal.
Yes, I got that. Thank you
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
30-35% Is perfect imo. I just got my windows tinted this week with Xpel XR Ceramic 30% tints all around. Looks awesome!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5845 posts
3487 upvotes
Toronto
I wanted XR Plus or Huper Optik but no one was installing them at the time, settled for 30% Stratos.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17184 posts
19076 upvotes
Oakville
Any recommendations around Oakville? Been a while since I tinted a car.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.